ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Question about NY state law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mninp  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Question about NY state law Reply with quote

My friend was driving without a license, and according to his dad, someone reported him. I don't understand how you can be reported for driving without a license. I thought that if the cops don't see you, they can't do anything about it. He said that if they got a report, they would have to investigate. But what could they do? It just seems too far-fetched to me. I think his dad was just making up a story to teach him a lesson not to do it again for his and other people's safety. I mean, if you could report someone for driving without a license, why don't people just report people they don't like just to get them in trouble. It just dosen't seem right. Supposedly the cops called his house, but his dad was the one talking to him.

Can the cops actually make action if they get a report from a person driving without a license?

BTW, my friend knew a cop, and according to his dad, he helped him out.
Maozilla  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That honestly sounds like bullshit. Who the hell would report your friend for driving without a license? I mean, unless he walked into a liquor store and realized he forgot his license and went back to his car and the clerk realized he was driving without one and then called the cops OR somebody in the car with him reported him, I don't see how the hell this could happen. How would that end in court anyway? It'd be his word against another person's. Innocent until proven guilty. I think this was a prank, if not then it was his dad lying. I don't believe cops can take action unless they have proof, anyway.
franknfurter1000  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's...Absurd. To say the least.
It was the dad fucking with him, no question.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IANAL, but I would not be surprised if this is *not* a moving violation-type law. If there can be reasonable evidence presented that a person operated a motor vehicle in the public right-of-way while not being properly licensed to do so, I would certainly hope one could get prosecuted.

That said, I doubt very much we have many lawyers around here who are familiar with New York law.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake, I thought you meant that your friend simply didn't have the driver's license on him at the time. Not that he didn't have a license at all.
Matt  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could certainly take him to court and attempt to prove he was driving without a license, but I imagine that would be difficult to prove.
Mark 8:36
NonstopSnerf  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajanata wrote:
IANAL, but I would not be surprised if this is *not* a moving violation-type law. If there can be reasonable evidence presented that a person operated a motor vehicle in the public right-of-way while not being properly licensed to do so, I would certainly hope one could get prosecuted.

That said, I doubt very much we have many lawyers around here who are familiar with New York law.

omg, i lmao'd.

I ANAL?
Smeddy24  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's possible someone reported him, as they should if he is unlicensed. If he just didn't have it on him at the time, no big shit. Say someone did report him, the most the police could do without real evidence would be to chew him out. Which is what they (possibly) did.

Were I the police officer in this situation, I would talk tough, but of course I'd have nothing to back it up.

Also possible his dad simply fabricated it. If I had a kid who drove before (s)he had a license, they wouldn't get a license.

And if he simply left the license at home, I'd remind them/play some sort of prank on them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NonstopSnerf wrote:
I ANAL?

I am not a lawyer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: