ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guitar Hero controller as MIDI device?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DOOManiac  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Guitar Hero controller as MIDI device? Reply with quote

Has anybody done any work towards using the GH2 controller (or more abstractly, any game controller windows has a driver for) as a MIDI input device?

Obviously you're limited to 5 buttons, but I figured you could map them to the same notes that GH2 uses when writing a custom MIDI. I'd like to be able to use the guitar to just play along a rough draft of the song I'd like to make, and then also find a way to practice the song before committing to a lengthy build/burn/xfer process just to see if it worked.

I tried a few hours of Googling cause I figured someone had surely written software for this already, but everything I found was either a dead link, old (and incompatible with XP), or for Mac/Linux. :(

(I figured this should go in the Hardware forum and not the Software, but since it's kind of a mixed topic, feel free to move it if I posted in the wrong place)
FBMrider86  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people have, but the easiest way I could think of doing it without creating drivers and programs and all that stuff would just be to download joytokey (joystick can emulate key presses) and just download a MIDI keyboard program that you can assign certain letters to play the keyboard with.

Custom Guitar Paint Jobs (Submit Yours!)
Proud supporter of EWiggen's Grilled Cheese and GH Combo
socrstopr wrote:
This thread is very disturburbing. Also terrible.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Head0nFire86
DOOManiac  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the joytokey link.

Turns out you don't even need the other step because Anvil has its own built in software MIDI keyboard that responds to key presses. Yay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: