ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
TAC Freedom V tilt sensor problem!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JY0913  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: TAC Freedom V tilt sensor problem! Reply with quote

Ive had my freedom v since before guitar hero II, so yeah i have the old model with the adapter. problem is, the tilt sensor isnt sensitive enough to the point where i have to get it at a 90 degree angle. it uses 2 ball bearing chambers. apparently you can either lift up the guitar or shake it, which doesnt really work. does anyone have a fix so that it can be slightly more sensitive?
grenamuhnades  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BriGuy wrote:
Hey everyone. I have noticed a lot of people (including myself) with problems with their tilt sensors. Either they are too sensitive and go when you don't want them to, or they are not sensitive enough and you have to hold it straight up and shake the thing to get it to go off. Either way, it is a frustrating way to lose your note streaks and points. I have come up with some relatively easy fixes to all of the commen problems with both types of tilt sensors.

As I have previously noted, there are two different types of sensors. The first kind is a complicated off the board assembly that came with the original GH1 bundle. It consists of a circuit board with 4 ball-bearing-in-a-tube tilt sensors set at different angles and all 4 must trigger to complete the circuit for the star power to activate. If you are have a sometimes unresponsive tilt sensor, it is probably this model. It looks like this:

I have found that this 4 tube design to be a bit overkill and thus when even just 1 of the four gets stuck a little bit, the star power doesn't activate. A solution I have come up with is soldering over 2 of the 4 sensors to make it simpler and more reliable. I decided to solder over the two circled in red (S1 and S4) because they look like they aren't aligned as properly as S1 and S3 when tilted up. This has worked out great for my guitar and I never have a problem anymore.
For those with this design who can't get it to activate at all when tilted, I would first check the wires connected to the circuit boards first, and if they look good, it may be any one of these 4 sensors that may be stuck. You could maybe check each with a multimeter(?) or temporarily connect a wire over each tube one at at time at the copper post spots (circled in blue) If you wire over one of these junctions, and you try it out and the tilt works, open it up and solder over the back of the board like I did circled in red.

The newer tilt sensor was built into the SG only packages and is also in the GH2 red guitar. It is a much simpler version that is built into the main circuit board. It has one black box tilt sensor and is considered to be a LOT more sensitive, because it requires less of an angle to deploy and there is only one circuit to complete activate your star power. It looks like this:

.................................................................................................................................TOO FAR (half as far is good!)

As proposed by Netonex, this black box can be bent a little to make it less sensitive. You have to remove a bit of glue and very gently bend it in the direction in the 2nd pic. The position that is shown was where I bent it before testing. I found this to bee TOO FAR and I bent mine back a bit to probably half that much. If it's bent more than that, it makes deploying the star power difficult and will actually get in the way of the strum bar. Also, try not to bend it back and forth too much. There are 4 posts to this box and you don't want to break any of them.

Thats about it guys, good luck with your tilt mods!!
grenamuhnades  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if that doesn't help, I haven't had a V yet. I'm thinking about getting one though, how do they play?
JY0913  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive seen that post but its totally different. instead of four they only have 2, but i think theyre angled weird. maybe pics would help cuz im kind of new at screwing with the guitar.

the wireless plays great. the strum bar is silent and very responsive, the whammy bar is easier to use than the SGs, but the only problem i have is that the buttons come up a bit far from the fret, and their edges arent as smooth making sliding and changing positions a bit tougher. it takes some getting used to but overall its a really cool guitar. i heard that some of them have the tilt sensor problem so if anyone has pics of what its supposed to look like it would help. i also think that one of the tubes is in the wrong place since the diagrams on the tilt sensor board show it differently. ill try to get pics up so u can see
Slazer  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a V and imo it's better than the sg in all aspects. like JYO said, the strumbar is quieter, and everything is more reponsive basically. that includes the fret buttons too, which is why they are raised farther from the neck....you barely have to put any pressure on them at all, "smooth as butter" one might say

and JYO, i've never had a problem with my tilting, or anything on my V for that matter...so i really haven't messed around with it that much...sorry i couldn't be of more help.

<-- add this to your sig!!
JY0913  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i ask a small favor? can you maybe send me a few pics of the tilt sensor module u have on urs cuz i think mine was set up wrong. i would really appreciate it cuz i cant find any on google or anywhere on scorehero.
JY0913  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i found the problem and i toyed with the tubes today. i had to take off that paste or wax or watever the hell it is keeping them in place. the angle on one of the tubes was wrong so i played with it a bit until i got it to a good angle. if anyone has this problem later, ask me and i'll explain how to fix it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: