ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Enforced Avatar Restrictions (135x135)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> ScoreHero Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barfo  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peronally i think 135 is too tight a height restriction (i think 175-200 or so is fine). When i originally crafted my avatar i was dealign with a rectangular source image and i thought long and hard about how to frame it right and i got the height down to the minimum i felt was reasonable and still looked okay, with a ~130 pix wide aspect.

Im just as willign as anybody to go along with rules that i disagree with, in the interests of them being fairly applied for everybody (avatar is a certain degree of vanity anyways im happy to go avatar free for a while, or mock up some stand-in). Now i just have to hope that the sudden concern over vertical stretching of the screen does not turn its eye towards the body of the posts themselves, cause thats where 95% of my posts are guilty of needless padding.. :p
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel so... dirty...

lol j/k, I'll definitely follow the rules and such, however as Barfo, Frankie, etc. have said, stretching out the height doesn't affect the page length at all, even on the smallest of posts.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
Sully  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Enforced Avatar Restrictions (135x135) Reply with quote

The staff has been debating size restrictions on both avatars and sigs for a few weeks now. Avatars are easier to handle since they are a single image, whereas sigs can consist of multiple images, bbcode/html, and text. We're still working on defining what is and isn't allowed in sigs, but avatars are cut and dry so we decided to deal with them sooner than later.

We generated several test pages with various avatar sizes and the general consensus was that once we get the rules for sigs in place, avatars over 135 pixels tall will start to cause problems. I was an adamant supporter of tall sigs but the test pages made me realize how much better the forums look when everyone sticks to 135 tall.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
Cliff  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sully wrote:
Once sigs get under wraps (our current project)

OH JESUS THANK YOU
ArcadicGamer  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Enforced Avatar Restrictions (135x135) Reply with quote

Sully wrote:
The staff has been debating size restrictions on both avatars and sigs for a few weeks now. Avatars are easier to handle since they are a single image, whereas sigs can consist of multiple images, bbcode/html, and text. We're still working on defining what is and isn't allowed in sigs, but avatars are cut and dry so we decided to deal with them sooner than later.

We generated several test pages with various avatar sizes and the general consensus was that once we get the rules for sigs in place, avatars over 135 pixels tall will start to cause problems. I was an adamant supporter of tall sigs but the test pages made me realize how much better the forums look when everyone sticks to 135 tall.

A perfect post to explain my reason for loving this. With Sully's previous Castle Crasher Avatar, this post alone would have been twice the size. I was personally getting really sick of them artifitialy lengthening people's post windows. Thank You, SH!

microgamer2vs2  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This means I'll have to change my sig soon too. Originally, I just stuck the picture there so my tall Asholette avatar wouldn't stretch my posts out. I'm happy to hear the staff is working on regulating sigs though. You guys are definitely working hard. Let's hope all hell doesn't break loose come Sunday.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: aggrogahu
Mushy2008  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope I can keep my sig I have right now. people seem to love it :-) They need to not let any advertising be in your sig, Whether it be accomplishments or a rewards website... A sig is a sig... not your personal Advertising Bulletin

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Mushy2008 PSN Name: Mushy2008 Wii Friend Code: 4798547854137468 ICQ Number
ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mushy2008 wrote:
I really hope I can keep my sig I have right now. people seem to love it :-) They need to not let any advertising be in your sig, Whether it be accomplishments or a rewards website... A sig is a sig... not your personal Advertising Bulletin

Then it becomes a matter of what is defined as advertising. Obviously my PrizeRebel banner is an advertisement, but what about the line describing my Wiki? Is my DLC link technically advertising dlcquickplay? Am I advertising myself with that quote?

/Devil's Advocate stuff

As long as all of the parameters are well defined, and you won't be punished for doing something that's in a "gray area," then I'm up for anything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thing the problem with signatures (which is what they're supposed to be, in theory) is that oftentimes they end up 10 to 20 times the length of that user's posts, which is awful.

Mushi, I agree with you on advertising for that prizerebel stuff, but I don't see a problem with people putting a link to their acc. thread. That being said, I also don't see why we can't have that in the same area that we do the profile and PM buttons, removing clutter from signatures. Honestly, I wouldn't see a problem with removing sigs altogether, were it not for the ScoreHero updating stat images.
Smeddy24  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mushy2008 wrote:
Spam in sig>spam in forums.
The signature is simply an identifying mark. One of the reasons for the accomplishment forums is to prevent clutter if the forum didn't exist, and inevitable posts if we disallowed it, right? I see the sig fulfilling the same function.

Personally, reading posts I glance at the avvy and sig before I read the actual poster name. A poster with distinctive avvy and sig and a good number of posts is easier for me to remember than just the name.

Ideally, we'd have no rules that applied only to sigs. But then you get people with stream banners, two quotes, and a goal list (Did I miss anything HellAshes? ;) ) and it's impossible to make posts longer than your sig on a normal basis. And it leaves huge chunks of screen with no information.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I think it's rather overkill but whatever

*walks away grumbling*

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: jax0509
OnionPowder  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sully wrote:
Once sigs get under wraps (our current project)

I'm all for this idea. I actually spent like 5 minutes organizing my sig, and then ended up just putting a picture in there (Which I spent a little while resizing, so it isn't too big). I hate seeing sigs that are like

A Standard Sig wrote:
Goals:
1. Make More Goals! ( )
2. Get Sigged! ( )
3. Complain about Overcharting (X)
4. Never Use the Search Function (X)
5. FC GH2X ( )
6. FC Everything ( )
7. Pass Surrender ( )
8. Make References to Meme's whenever possible (X)
9. Get Perma-Rocker'd (X)
10. Put an X In this box ( )X DAMNIT!

*Large Picture*
*Quote from Torchy or Bjw*
*Link to Accomplishment Thread*

It gets redudant after a while. You should just put your goals in your Accomplisment thread, ><.

P.S. If you put an Avitar that's over 135 by 135 does it automatically say "135 by 135 MAX!" or do you have to go in and do that? Because hopefully that can stop people who accidentally put in Avitars that are 1280 by 1024, >__>.

Last.FM|Facebook

yksi-kaksi-kolme has 699 love making sessions left.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: She Wants Reven PSN Name: OnionPowder
FrankieB  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mushy2008 wrote:

Well I advertise Starpower Podcast, clearly ScoreHero related even though we generate income through advertisements on our site. Are you suggesting that I should not be able to place these things in there and let people just randomly find it themselves?

I am willing to bet all images are being axed from the signatures and the HTML code is going out. Why else would tall avatars interfere with the posts?

ScoreHero staff I sure do hope you guys are putting a lot of thought into this. I would hate to see these forums go to crap because you don't like images in sigs or 145px tall avatars.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: FRANK1E B
Cliff  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie, my man, I think you are overreacting a bit when you imply that the forums could "go to crap" by disallowing images in signatures.

However, I doubt that images will be disallowed, unless the staff can figure out someway to only allow stat images and nothing else.
blakstang98  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sigs using a ton of space is a bigger violation than avatar heights. I'm totally on board with the width restriction, it moves all the posts to the right and sometimes squishes the posts together and makes them taller. A tall avatar becomes a non-issue for posters like myself (or as Barfo mentioned, himself) that generally create very long, wordy posts. I personally, never really used avatars that violated height, but seeing Barfo without his avatar is just weird, lol. My current avatar was gonna be like 160 pixels I believe, and I had to shrink it because it wouldn't let me. I do like how it restricts you from trying to link a larger avatar, as people will mistakingly put in a huge picture (like OnionPowder said) and there are ones that'll just do it to bust balls. It'll be good to, as banned individuals will have their large avatars removed (as they can't do it themself obviously). I'm going off on a tangent, but point being, the sigs are a lot worse. I mean, is it necessary to have large pictures in sigs? Also the infamous list of goals tends to get wordy as well. The threads would look a lot cleaner with less height for a post + sig tends to make a longer, more cluttered thread page, than a large height on an avatar (unless its really really tall). So I think avatar width and tall sigs are the biggest concern, whereas the tall avatar becomes a moot point with a post worth 5 lines and maybe a few lines in a sig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> ScoreHero Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: