ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
"Pull Me Under" .. Why?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orange22  
Neversoft Staff
Neversoft Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kosmosis wrote:
Renditionary wrote:
"Pull Me Under" .. Why?

Perhaps they just weren't afraid.

I was afraid...just a little
BooMan555  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this song. I listen to it all the time and played the custom. Just because it isn't the hardest song, does not mean it's not great.

Stryper's Myspace Here

Can't wait, because the Dragonforce album wasn't good at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: KeenanC
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's because they wanted the most epic thing possible, which Pull Me Under fits the bill.

But at the sametime, why not put in a song from DT that is extremely epic and leaves you in the fetal position after seeing the chart (AKA. half of the DT songs out there).

For Example: The Glass Prison (breakdown and examples included as to why it would be great)

Guitar: The first 2 minutes are extremely easy and would hardly be a challenge to anybody, but then the tempo changes and the arpeggios start in, they're basically Constant Motion Solo D extended from 5 seconds to 55 seconds, in otherwords holy **** you're screwed. Follow this by about 5 minutes of a Blackened like riff, then we go to basically 7 minutes of non-stop HoPo solo like riff that's just so fast it makes you want to cut off your hands.

Drums: In short, you're screwed. In longer form, 14 minutes of Mike Portnoy means you're going to die.

Bass: What happens when you mix Thrasher, Panic Attack, and Visions bass lines together and extend em to 14 minutes? You get this.

Vocals: Actually wouldn't be too bad up until the part where it jumps between Petrucci, Portnoy and Labrie singing (which would be evil hard due to the fast changes), aside from that it would actually be kinda easy.

Now THAT would be an epic outro song.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Geeoff  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it's because it was their most popular song...since in terms of "popular songs" Pull Me Under is barely a blip on the radar. They could've put pretty much any Dream Theater song in the game to the same effect on sales.

I suspect they put Pull Me Under in the game because multiple people in charge of creating the game's setlist just really liked the song.
tormentedbyu  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShiftBreaker wrote:
But you could say that about every other song in the game, though. I mean, Trapped Under Ice? Terrible choice. Hot For Teacher? Satch Boogie? Prisoner of Society? Stillborn? Crazy Train? Misery Business? Stranglehold? About A Girl? Shiver?

Plenty of better choices for the whole setlist.

Trapped Under Ice: They're doing GH: Metallica. They're saving up all the good Metallica songs for that game. That's why they chose a B side. TUI just happens to be fun as hell too.

Hot For Teacher: Well known but still hard. You got that tapping in the beginning, and that retarded Detention Riff. It serves as a nice filler for Raining Blood in my opinion.

Satch Boogie: Kick ass Satriani song is kick ass. Hard middle section, and just fun to play. If I had to give a song that it was equal to in GH3 I'd say One.

Prisoner of Society: No comment since I can't remember the band, I just know I don't listen to them.

Stillborn: Hmmm... this one is hard to figure out honestly... I think they just knew that they wanted to put Zakk's guitar battle kinda early on in the game, and if they had put something REALLY hard in there it would have been retarded to see it in a gig that early. I think Stillborn pretty much fits where they placed it in career.

Crazy Train: They put Mr. Crowley in... They already did Bark at the Moon... I'm amazed that Crazy Train wasn't in a GH game until now. It's got one of the most recognizable parts in the history of rock/metal... in fact I'd say its only 2nd to the Smoke on the Water Riff.

Misery Business: Its Paramore... they went based on popularity. Did you want Crushcrushcrush or something? What did you expect? o.O

Stanglehold: One of the most FUN AND EPIC FUCKING SONGS ON THE FUCKING SETLIST. Are you suggesting that the song did not deserve to go in the game?!

About A Girl: There really aren't that many great Nirvana songs... one of the only songs that I think would have been better would have been like, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Lithium, Polly... whatever. The Nirvana song in the game doesn't matter much to me anyway. I'm not a big fan of them.

Shiver: See Prisoner of Society, though I know that its Coldplay. I guess I just don't know their catalog very well, but honestly, how many Coldplay songs sound like they were just MADE for Guitar Hero? (again, maybe I just don't know their catalog enough)

Pull Me Under: Boring. I'm sorry. It just is. I enjoy listening to it, but its absolutely boring to play. Panic Attack is all around better. Constant Motion is all around better. Maybe Harmonix just knows how to pick a DT song better than Neversoft.

Some DT songs that would have been better (in no particular order except how I read them in my media player):

Panic Attack (because who the fuck cares if they copy RB, as long as the song is epic)
Constant Motion (see above)
Under a Glass Moon
Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu (because they really have to go together)
Fatal Tragedy
Beyond This Life
Never Enough
Octavarium (maybe not too difficult, but hella long and plenty fucking epic)
As I Am
This Dying Soul
Stream of Consciousness
and many more that I don't feel like listing because this post has taken long enough to write.

Pull Me Under was just a bad choice, and I'm going to be crying about it for a while. But there's nothing we can do. Just hope that Neversoft sees this thread and releases FUCKING OCTAVARIUM sorry, I mean, DT dlc.

But to make another point, we REALLY need harder music, and I'm very disappointed that there was really no on-disc Jordan, TTFAF, (insert GH:80's song such as Because Its Midnite, Ballroom Blitz, or Play with Me) or (insert GH1 song such as BatM or Fire it Up). Hot For Teacher and Snatch Boogie are the only songs I didn't sight-read 5*, and Snatch only took me a couple tries, while Hot For Teacher totally raped me in relation to the other songs and took me about 8 tries. There's harder and good music out there Neversoft. Let's try to find it. Together. Hire me FC nao, plox. I can help you. Really. Together we can take over the world. XD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MangoSauce wrote:
This game was meant to be more accessible. Old news.
More accessible? Every casual GH player I know that hears I'm good at the game wants to know if I can beat TTFAF. They all recognize it's the ultimate shred fest of any GH game and love the "untouchable" nature of the song (to them). Why not have one of these songs in every game? The noobs don't have to beat it to beat the game so who's complaining?
Daputti  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a song that I can actually fail.

I still remember when I went to my friends house with a couple of my friends and they were all like "show us how you tap TTFAF" so I did, and played the rest of the song, five starred it.

Then...

I start playing the Dragonforce pack.
Operation Ground and Pound - pass. Four stars. Happy.
Revolution Deathsquad - pass. Three stars. Ehheh.
Heroes Of Our Time - Fail. We laughed so fucking hard.

Four-starred both of them later.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull Me Under is suitably epic on drums. It may not sound as hard as ( insert DT wankfest here), but it's still hard with many fun parts. If you somehow don't have enough challenge on guitar, play drums, they shall humble you very much.

I still go with the theory that they just needed a long enough song to roll over the credits.

Now Available in e-book format! Book 1 Book 2
Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
Glock  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydrapower wrote:
I still go with the theory that they just needed a long enough song to roll over the credits.

Not only were the credits super annoying (why the heck did they put them over the fretboard) but they could have just changed the scroll speed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydrapower wrote:
Pull Me Under is suitably epic on drums. It may not sound as hard as ( insert DT wankfest here), but it's still hard with many fun parts. If you somehow don't have enough challenge on guitar, play drums, they shall humble you very much.

pull me under is pretty dull on drums. theres a few slightly tricky parts, but nothing that makes me want to play the song again.
deadhead15  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think they should have put in the dark eternal night, i would have been much more happy and ghwt would take much longer to fc then.

Real Guitar Thread: most recent,Brand New Song In The Works http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89080

Accomplishments: most recent, Dark Matter FC (Crazy Chart)
http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66794&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: deadhead6391
PearlJam2293  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think that they picked Pull Me Under because Satch Boogie is the hardest song in the game and Pull Me Under is just the most epic in the game. They need to fit a role. Also, if they were to do almost any other Dream Theater song, it wouldve been really hard since almost every song has massive double bass. On the other hand, Pull Me Under really doesnt have much of a major drum part.
[X] 5* RD
[X] Break 600k on TTFATF
[590k] Break 600k on NoTB
[ ] 35 Expert Fc's
LeCoy  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to two DT concerts (friends made me go), but I have to say that they are overrated. Some of their songs are cool (As I Am, Glass Prison, About To Crash, Forsaken), but the only reason people like them is that they play crazy guitar parts and have super shred duels between Petrucci and Ruddess for about 10 minutes. Cuz we all know more notes = better musicians and better music right?

I think Pull Me Under was a good choice.

Xbox Live Gamertag: KingofFunk412
dogtownzboy1  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tormentedbyu wrote:

Some DT songs that would have been better (in no particular order except how I read them in my media player):

Panic Attack (because who the fuck cares if they copy RB, as long as the song is epic)
Constant Motion (see above)
Under a Glass Moon
Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu (because they really have to go together)
Fatal Tragedy
Beyond This Life
Never Enough
Octavarium (maybe not too difficult, but hella long and plenty fucking epic)
As I Am
This Dying Soul
Stream of Consciousness
and many more that I don't feel like listing because this post has taken long enough to write.

Seeing as you said Octavarium..even thought its not a bad idea. Why not put the full Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence in there . Yes you will have to suffer The Test That Stumped Them All.

*The Octavarium intro would suck 6 mins of keyboard

http://www.last.fm/user/shad0wz69
Follow Me @dogtownzboy1

Haven't been on ScoreHero in 3 years. 4chan ruined my life.
Glock  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeCoy wrote:
I've been to two DT concerts (friends made me go), but I have to say that they are overrated. Some of their songs are cool (As I Am, Glass Prison, About To Crash, Forsaken), but the only reason people like them is that they play crazy guitar parts and have super shred duels between Petrucci and Ruddess for about 10 minutes. Cuz we all know more notes = better musicians and better music right?

I think Pull Me Under was a good choice.

OMG GET OUT OF THIS THREAD BEFORE I ASPLODE.

Everything you just said made me want to cry. Dream Theater is not about "shred duels" between Petrucci and Ruddess go listen to Metropolis. They are the most talented band ever, without a doubt. They have amazing solos like that because they can play with an technical profiency unlike that of any other band, but that only compliments the rest of their music which is not usually "shredding" at all.

Your little more notes = better musicians fits Dragonforce, but to say that about Dream Theater is just completely ignorant to the style of music they play.

Last edited by Glock on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: