ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Spring break project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwuhoops83  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Spring break project Reply with quote

Over spring break, which is in a couple weeks, I want to get the five button colors in Krylon spraypaint. I will do one or two layers in yellow and put 3 different sized tape around it in a pattern somwhat similar to EVH's guitars. Then, I would do the same with orange, red, green, and blue.

I know for sure I was gonna do the body, but I can't decide on wether or not to do the neck like this too. I'm afraid it will end up sticky or something and make it harder to play. I'm not gonna do the buttons because they are already the colors I want.

After thinking it over, I have some questions. Will all the layers make it flake or hard to take of the tape? With the 5-7 layers have any effect on it at all? What would be the best tape to use: different sized painters tape or something more similar to electrical tape? About how many peices of tape should go around each layer of paint? I was thinking about 4-5, but I don't want to end up with too many or too little. Any other advice would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks
MCR517  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best tape to use would definitely be electrical tape.
GTJem  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to mask fresh paint is with blue painters tape. Anything else will either lift the underlying paint or leave adhesive residue which will cause all kinds of problems when you try to paint over it. To paint a complex design like what your attempting takes lots of planning before you paint. Don't spray the entire guitar with each color, it's not necessary. Start with the lightest color first, in this case yellow, and spray your yellow stripes freehand. They will be much wider than your finished sizing, but that's not a problem as you will define the stripes by masking the actual stripes off with painters tape. wait a full day between colors so that the previous color has a chance to set up before masking it. Keep repeating this process with each color until you have all the color stripes sprayed and masked off. Then spray the entire controller with your main color, two to three good coats will cover well. After the main coats tack up, about a half hour, carefully remove all your masking. Make sure you remove them in reverse order that they were applied. You must remove all the masking BEFORE the final coats dry, this prevents the masking tape from lifting the paint along the edges of the masking tape. Give the controller 2 days to dry before spraying your clear coats, three coats of clear is plenty. Your controller should dry for another 2 days before you play with it, and don't color sand and polish it for at least a week to allow the paint to fully cure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website PSN Name: RedRocker63
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: