ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Worth it for $25?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Rock Revolution
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Worth it for $25? Reply with quote

I saw Rock Revolution for 360 for 25 dollars (CDN) at Best Buy, and I thought about picking it up, but it just seems so much worse than GH and (especially) RB. I've seen the charts, they range from Okay to Crap, the graphics are nto impressive, I'm too used to the GH 'hallway' scrolling so it looks messed up to me, and most of the covers are awful. That said, I would buy this game if it had some easy achievements for someone who's good at guitar (and drums, but that pedal in the middle of the screen thing... eh....). Plus getting a couple hours of enjoyment out of some new songs, I guess.

Worth it for 25 bucks?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO. My friend TehGreenLlama has it, and said it was absolutely horrible.

I am siding with him, every single major game reviewer, and the previews I saw on YouTube. This game is just epic fail.

Spend that $25 on some Rock Band or Guitar Hero DLC, you'll be a lot happier. Better yet, you could also buy Halo 2, Gears of War 1 with a little more money, or a used copy of Unreal Tournament III if possible.

My Accomplishments
Hey, I FINALLY have Rock Band 3! And with Cymbals for Pro Mode! Add XBL if you want to play. The best way to contact me is through Twitter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xtremecarbonSH PSN Name: xtremecarbon Wii Friend Code: 1874701833916044
Box2  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get this game if it was $5

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Pet the Possum
Kluuz  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I wouldn't get this game if it was free. Just a big waste of time, and this game is another annoying rip-off of Rock Band. And it's the worst rip-off I have ever seen from anything!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kluuz PSN Name: Kluuz
orangeglacier  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to disagree here and say yes, if you like the songs that are unique to it. It has some unique cool things that aren't in Rock Band, like the different challenges like In the Zone, Band Practice, Poison Note, etc and plenty of great songs that aren't in Rock Band. I viewed it as a 20 dollar large DLC pack with a game thrown in, and I don't regret getting it.

GH5 (30/43)(Gamma Ray latest)
RB2 (39/42)(Souls of Black latest)
kajota  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this game over the weekend and, it may be because my expectations were so low, I thought it was worth the $20 I spent on it.

I've only played drums on it so far so I can't speak for the guitar portion of the game yet. The note track takes some time to get used to and having the bass pedal as a single note in the middle of the track is really tough to get used to .

I've played about 6 or 7 songs so far and the covers are fine. Bad Reputation is much easier on drums than in Rock Band.

What I like about the game are the little twists. Having to hit a certain score for a song to advance, poison notes (notes that you have to avoid), songs that change difficulty as you're playing them, having the scroll speed change as your multiplier goes up, and having to play certain sections of a song from memory. These make the game interesting enough for me to keep playing. I'd like to see Harmonix or Neversoft steal these ideas for future versions of their games. (although I would rather these be part of a separate game path and leave the normal 'just beat the songs' game path alone). This kind of thing would be great for the battle of bands section of RB2.

I also like some of the stats at the end of a song. I like the perfect, close and missed numbers.

I don't like the way you activate their version of overdrive/starpower on the drums. It's similar to GHWT but IMO slightly better. You have to hit the red/Green and bass pedal at the same time.

For $20 I'd say this game is worth buying.

It certainly gets its ass kick by RB1,RB2 and GHWT but if this game had been released around the GH1/GH2 timeframe it would have gotten much better reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: kajota PSN Name: kajota
DeusExProcella  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything the above poster said.

The hardest songs on drums in this game are Spirit of the Radio, Holy Wars, Pull Me Under and Won't Get Fooled Again. None of them are remotely challenging by RB/GH standard except for Holy Wars which would be like...tier 4 on Rock Band.

It takes time to get used to the Power Meter, and the overall look but it is definitely worth 20$ for just screwing around on (and relatively easy achievements).

The only bad cover IMO is Walk. That's really the only one I gagged hearing. The game is not bad at ALL for 20-25$. Anything above that I think is pushing it and full price is just a rip off.

It's definitely fun to just play around on. And the Power Meter activation is much more reliable than the GHWT drum activation (just...you can only activate on notes with any combination of JUST red-bass-green, or add the missing third). And since it just gives a score boost, you don't need pathing.

Also because most of the songs are horribly, horribly, horribly undercharted, you don't get swamp ass nearly as fast while drumming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Consanguinity Wii Friend Code: 519807246797
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, the game is now 20 bucks at Gamestop, 18 used. As for the guitar part, the up and down fret board is shit and Konami should be ashamed that they thought it could work like DDR or something, but it's not too bad to play. It would make more sense back before GH2 was released or maybe when GH3 and Rock Band 1 came out, but it could look a whole better compared to GH and RB which are really smooth.

And it's only 20 bucks. It's better than saving that for dull DLC that has been coming out for RB and GH lately. I just grabbed it myself for kicks and though I probably won't like a whole lot of it, it's not like it's Wii Music or Ultimate Band or whatever lol
neoMAXCML  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSH-Hitman wrote:
As for the guitar part, the up and down fret board is shit and Konami should be ashamed that they thought it could work like DDR or something, but it's not too bad to play.

Well first off, Konami didn't develop the game. Zoe Mode did. So you should ask them about the whole overhead fretboard. Second, that overhead fretboard has been working for Guitar Freaks/Drummania for YEARS. I find the GH/RB incoming perspective shit since it makes everything around me spin and distort if I stare at it for too long (not just me; nearly everyone I know that plays the game has the same problem). It also provides a very poor visual timing window. But then again, the timing windows for these American band games are enormous.
kajota  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeusExProcella wrote:

The only bad cover IMO is Walk.

Just got to this song in career mode. It is a very bad cover. This doesn't bode well for the Pantera DLC coming out for Rock Revolution.

The Run to the Hills cover is also bad. Thank God it's not as hard as the hard or expert versions in Rock Band.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: kajota PSN Name: kajota
ajanata  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAW COVERS SUCK BAW

Go play GH1, GH2, GH80s, GH3, or RB1, then BAW MORE about covers.

The point is the game doesn't have to have master tracks (or even 100% perfect covers for every song) to be fun. Everybody is spoiled with RB2 and GHWT now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajanata wrote:
BAW COVERS SUCK BAW

Go play GH1, GH2, GH80s, GH3, or RB1, then BAW MORE about covers.

The point is the game doesn't have to have master tracks (or even 100% perfect covers for every song) to be fun. Everybody is spoiled with RB2 and GHWT now.

Exactly. GH1, GH2, and GH:80s in particular had a LOT of covers; to the point where nearly all songs outside of the bonus tracks were covers. Not all of them were that great, either. The point is, the game is still fun. I've played Rock Revolution with ajanata at some point and found it to be a quite fun, different experience. If you really want the actual song, purchase the discography, follow the directions in the custom song section, and chart the song yourself. If you aren't willing to do that, you have no reason to complain.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neoMAXCML wrote:
MSH-Hitman wrote:
As for the guitar part, the up and down fret board is shit and Konami should be ashamed that they thought it could work like DDR or something, but it's not too bad to play.

Well first off, Konami didn't develop the game. Zoe Mode did. So you should ask them about the whole overhead fretboard. Second, that overhead fretboard has been working for Guitar Freaks/Drummania for YEARS. I find the GH/RB incoming perspective shit since it makes everything around me spin and distort if I stare at it for too long (not just me; nearly everyone I know that plays the game has the same problem). It also provides a very poor visual timing window. But then again, the timing windows for these American band games are enormous.

When was the wall scrolling a problem? It's just a funny little thing that comes after playing GH or RB for awhile lol At least I can easily see the notes coming at me. I have to sort of unfocus myself from the fretboard and just kinda realize the notes are coming and hit them. It's hard to explain, but if this is how it was for games before, GH and RB did it much better where it was much more pleasing to the eyes. I thought for sure I was gonna have eye strain, but I didn't quite hit the strain part, but it felt like I was almost there.

But there are at least some good songs in this, such as the Pantera pack which is awesome. Though there are way too many cross-game songs in this that really weren't necessary cause there is no way they can really compete with GH or RB anymore.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my bit: I'm sick and bloody tired of all the bitching and moaning about a game that nobody is forcing people to buy. If you don't want it, fine, but this is the "Rock Revolution" forum. So, generally its customary to have played the game that the said forum of discussion is about. Bottom line: the game isn't Guitar Hero and Rock Band, so stop expecting it to be. Konami is, you know, the kings of this whole business. Even if you hate the game, show some respect!

I got mine for $20 and GTA4 for $30 at GameStop and I must say: 2 great games for less than the price of Rock Band. Who is going to argue with that?

Pros:

- New challenges. The memorization stuff and Poison note stuff is tricky for me and adds a new dimension of difficulty to the game other than "omgz lots of lolnotes!!1"

- The covers ARE NOT BAD. Yeah, there's at least 2 or three that I've been displeased with, but all things considered, they really are no worse/better than GH2's covers. I've been pleasantly surprised. Honestly, as long as the singer isn't hitting sour notes, I don't give 2 shits if he sounds like an exact replica of the original or not.

- I'm an achievement whore. It's pretty standard achievements, and they work for me.

-Co-op with your "less hardcore" friends. I know some of you have friends who may be interested in rhythm games but are uncomfortable playing with an "expert." This game is the happy medium: a great introductory game with some challenges to help the average person to get better at drums or guitar. It lowers the playing field, so for only $20, why the hell not?

- I can pass songs on drums.

Cons:

- It takes a little while to get used to. ...I think that's it, really.

I'm enjoying myself with it, but its up to you. Just don't let the haters get you down. For what it is, it isn't bad. I'm just honestly curious how many of the haters in this thread have actually played the game.

"Youtube reviews says it sucks!" "My friend said it was epic fail!" "COVERS BAW!" etc

Actually, the people who have their hands on a copy are the ones singing its praises in this thread. What does that say about it, hm?

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
benlikesthesalsa  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented it and its worth 20 bucks i might go look for it after i pay for sf4 but i like the fact its all (but 2) cover. Your in a cover band that plays covers unless the lead singer is Tim Owens i want my songs to be covers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Rock Revolution All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: