ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Picking up a PS3. Need some advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiznat  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Picking up a PS3. Need some advice Reply with quote

After making a few relatively hard decisions about some of my old games I decided to sell off several of them and have come into possession of about $200 in Gamestop store credit. I've decided to pick up a used PS3. A 40 gig is $350 and an 80 gig is $380. Which one would you recommend? BTW, backwards compatability doesn't matter to me. I have a PS2 and I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon, if ever.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

40gb is enough if you dont plan to downlaod much content

HOWEVER. if you do, before doing anything, pick the 40gb model and upgrade the hdd to a 500gb 2.5" sata laptop hard drive.

this way you'll get whatever you want on it for the next 40 years.

its shown how to do it in the users manual

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with post on top. Just get a 40gb and buy a big ass laptop drive. It doesn't involve modding the console, because sony recommends you do it if you want to have all your media on there. Just read the manual and if the seller doesn't give it to you the go on Sony's website and find the PDF version of their manual.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extra $30 you save can go towards a new HDD. If people tell you it's hard to install a custom hdd or it can't be done, they ARE LYING.

Have fun

My Accomplishments
Hey, I FINALLY have Rock Band 3! And with Cymbals for Pro Mode! Add XBL if you want to play. The best way to contact me is through Twitter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xtremecarbonSH PSN Name: xtremecarbon Wii Friend Code: 1874701833916044
Raider704  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the 80GB. Games like Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter IV and others that I can't think of right now...have mandatory installs that are 5GB. I could definitely see myself running out of space on a 40GB.
Shiznat  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up picking up a new 80 actually because Gamestop has a special offer going on that you get a $50 gift card along with the system. BTW, there's another special offer going on right now where you can get up to a bonus 40% (50% if you have a membership card) trade in credit on used games. If you have a bunch of old games lying around I highly recommend taking advantage of it. I'll probably upgrade my HD when the 80 starts to fill up.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiznat wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up picking up a new 80 actually because Gamestop has a special offer going on that you get a $50 gift card along with the system. BTW, there's another special offer going on right now where you can get up to a bonus 40% (50% if you have a membership card) trade in credit on used games. If you have a bunch of old games lying around I highly recommend taking advantage of it. I'll probably upgrade my HD when the 80 starts to fill up.

again, change the damn hdd before installing games/vdieo/music/add-on.
doing a backup is a PITA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabanon wrote:

doing a backup is a PITA

Really? All you need to do is hook up a FAT32 formatted external HDD using a USB cable and start the process. Yeah it takes a long time but I can see that as a pain in the ass if you are an impatient person.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neoMAXCML wrote:
Cabanon wrote:

doing a backup is a PITA

Really? All you need to do is hook up a FAT32 formatted external HDD using a USB cable and start the process. Yeah it takes a long time but I can see that as a pain in the ass if you are an impatient person.

i am LOL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, you mean Sony actually TELLS you how to increase your HDD space in the manual? Wow, PS3 FTW! Guess one will never have to worry about running out of room.

I Don't Suck at GH
Xpertlefty13 quoting me in his Acc Thread wrote:
Honestly, thank you

This is the first real, well thought-out explanation I've seen
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chirch53  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarGeek08 wrote:
Wait, you mean Sony actually TELLS you how to increase your HDD space in the manual? Wow, PS3 FTW! Guess one will never have to worry about running out of room.

yup its on there website too. heres a link for anyone whos interested:
http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=362&p_sid=eLs6ZXsj#20gb

also the playstation blog recommends this tutorial as well: http://asia.cnet.com/digitalliving/tips/0,3800004921,62032875,00.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: