ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Worth it for $25?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Rock Revolution
View previous topic :: View next topic  
youhas  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verifying that the game is down to $20 at GameStop and informing that $20 is the new-in-box price from Amazon.com as well.

Is it worth $20? Eh, I guess so, probably. Hell, I know I've spent more than $20 on things that I've gotten less utility out of. 'Course, having read all the reviews in advance, my expectations were about as low as they could go on this game out of the gate; anything north of the game actively punching me in the kidneys was probably going to qualify as a pleasant surprise.

But seriously: the game's OK, in the "adequate/meh" sense of the word. "Quirky" and "cutesy" are the first words that come to mind - almost as if they were trying to differentiate themselves from other rhythm games by adding and removing features at random. Most of them feel different, but not especially bad - the vertical note field, the new multiplier machinations, perfect/good rating for strums, etc. The arcade-style "poison note" and "remember this phrase, then play it back" challenges weren't really my cup of tea, but they were novel enough - worth checking out once or twice in any event.

The covers are kind of hit-and-miss, but are generally OK enough, I suppose, especially if I'm focusing on the instrument-work rather than the vocal tracks. The note charts are just all over the map in terms of accuracy, especially in the earlier tiers - overcharted chord-mash, but undercharted solos. It's almost like playing some mid-grade customs disc, or maybe a copy of Guitar Hero II delivered from some sort of parallel universe.

If you're going in expecting something as awesome and polished as a recent Rock Band or Guitar Hero offering, yeah, that's gonna be a crushing disappointment for you. If you're all, "eh, it's just another rhythm game, but at least I can play [song you enjoy], so that's cool, even if it is a cover", then it might be worth picking up. Me, I'm probably going to finish out the drum career (for Achievement purposes) then put the game away, possibly never to be played again... but eh, no denying that I got several hours of middling entertainment out of my whopping $20 investment.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
FBMrider86  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just figured I'd add that you might as well change this thread's title to 'Worth it for 10 dollars?' Target has this game on clearance for 9.98. I picked it up last night since there were a few songs I'd like to play (plus the Pantera DLC), but my 360 is once again in the shop, so it'll be awhile before I get a chance. Hope I don't lose it.

Custom Guitar Paint Jobs (Submit Yours!)
Proud supporter of EWiggen's Grilled Cheese and GH Combo
socrstopr wrote:
This thread is very disturburbing. Also terrible.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Head0nFire86
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBMrider86 wrote:
Just figured I'd add that you might as well change this thread's title to 'Worth it for 10 dollars?' Target has this game on clearance for 9.98. I picked it up last night since there were a few songs I'd like to play (plus the Pantera DLC), but my 360 is once again in the shop, so it'll be awhile before I get a chance. Hope I don't lose it.

Again, Canada, low Dollar, video game prices, huge ripoff... no target... etc.

I got it used for 20 bucks. Thats about as good as you're gonna do without really trying. I gotta say for the few hours it took me to play through the setlist I enjoyed it well enough, and I'm an achievement whore so +1 for me.

After playing it I can answer my question and say it is worth it for 20 bucks, got me a decent enough amount of entertainment for the price.

Also even though I technically bought it used they didn't have any used copies, so they just gave me a new one for used price

/thread

Last edited by Xtresso on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
ford2112  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it new at Gamestop for $17. I'd say the game is worth it if you don't mind the covers. I didn't even find the covers that bad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Rock Revolution All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: