ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
SocialGamer Live Stream Thread (¯\(°_o)/¯ Streams Live!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajanata  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: SocialGamer Live Stream Thread (¯\(°_o)/¯ Streams Live!) Reply with quote

Want live stream updates on your desktop? See the next post in this thread.

FAQ (READ THIS FIRST):

If your stream is live and you are not showing up: Contact me at the support chat. Only do this if the thread has updated twice since you started streaming. (You can tell by the edit count).

To appear on this list: you will need a SocialGamer account. You will be able to fill in your own stream URL via the web interface at the SocialGamer website.

Live Stream Listings:

Live stream listing updates suspended. My server is having some memory issues and the live stream updater is the single biggest offender. I'll try to have something up for live stream updating at some point this weekend.

Last edited by ajanata on Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:55 am; edited 1238 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ajanata
ajanata  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Reserved.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad this thread is up and running again! Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain why the old one wasn't working forever?
eyewin8  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain why we have to use Social Gamer and can't just go straight to ustream? You guys obviously do nothing except host a chat (ustream's is better anyway), so you are paying out of your pocket for something that ustream can do. Since Social Gamer chat is rarely used anyway, you could always just track ustream streams and cut out the middle man

Shvereal proved me wrong by FCing SWTA 1a and 2d without elbow strums. He is the motherfucking shit.
jakeyboy15  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyewin8 wrote:
Can you explain why we have to use Social Gamer and can't just go straight to ustream? You guys obviously do nothing except host a chat (ustream's is better anyway), so you are paying out of your pocket for something that ustream can do. Since Social Gamer chat is rarely used anyway, you could always just track ustream streams and cut out the middle man

But then whats the point of ajanata doing this, if he links SG then he at least makes some money off ads. Follow the streams you like on ustream and then use the ustream dashboard if you don't like using this.
elitewarrior500  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do know you can click on the stream that is showing on social gamer and it will take you to ustream... right? or whatever stream site they are using to broadcast

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakeyboy15 wrote:
eyewin8 wrote:

But then whats the point of ajanata doing this, if he links SG then he at least makes some money off ads. Follow the streams you like on ustream and then use the ustream dashboard if you don't like using this.

From what it sounds like, they are struggling to pay the server every month. Why not just have a script for ustream pickups like rkcr did? Seems alot easier and costs less

Shvereal proved me wrong by FCing SWTA 1a and 2d without elbow strums. He is the motherfucking shit.
ravagetalon  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyewin8 wrote:

You really don't understand the point of SocialGamer do you?

I also must correct you in that UStream's chat service is FAR inferior to Socialgamer's, for many, many reasons. If you'd actually use it, you'd understand. I, for one, will never use Ustream's Chat server whenever I can help it. The benefits of Socialgamer's are too numerous to overlook.

Not to Mention... the SocialGamer site embeds Justin.tv streams as well as Ustream feeds.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one,

eyewin8 wrote:
You guys obviously do nothing except host a chat (ustream's is better anyway),

I'm sorry. Ustream's chat is horrible, especially when the channels are very active. Flash is horrible at scrolling text. Our server is also much more featured than theirs.

Now that that's out of the way, we're actually not getting anything in ads. If you notice, there aren't any on the site. The sponsors section probably can go because I don't see a reason for them to be there anymore. I've never personally talked to any of them.

The reason why it hadn't been updating for weeks was because only dho had access to the script that updated the thread. That has been resolved now.

The problems with the servers weren't just the bills. Yes, it was some of it, but it wasn't being able to afford it that was the problem. The most recent issue was dho decided to get out. I'm in charge now. We definitely don't have problems running it on my server with the pathetic amount of traffic we've been getting lately.

We don't link directly to ustream because we did have ads at one point. Now that they're gone, we don't have to force you to go through SG, I guess. I'm just not motivated to do anything about it.

Therein lies the problem. None of us are motivated to do anything because anytime we do, people bitch over the changes. We know the private message system has been broken for months now but we don't care to do anything to fix it because it would require another major overhaul of the entire site (it's more than just fixing the PM page, the problem is core to the way the site works) which would just lead to more bitching. We were considering doing a major overhaul a few weeks ago, and even got an awesome new server to do so with (that was the server migration a few weeks ago), but we never got anywhere because we've been too busy with real-life issues. This is part of why dho wanted out.

I'd hate to have to shut the site down, because the tracking system is nice. And our chat is so much better than Ustream's, and especially Justin.tv's (which is better for streaming anyway), regardless of what other people think. But at the rate of decline in site usage (which I'm sure is partly related to the downtime and some parts of it not working), I'm just not sure if it's worth keeping going. It might just revert back to what it was with StreamNinja -- an automatically updated list of online stream, perhaps with the concept of "streampages" still in tact so people could use our better chat system.

So, for now, it's just Grinnz, vsTerminus, and myself in charge of the site and chat (and of the three, only I presently have access to the web server). It's getting to the point where running this diversion is being more troublesome than it's worth. Give us a good reason to keep it running. We have until December before the domain name is up for renewal. Give us a good reason to do so.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajanata wrote:
Wall of text

I support this. I'm an avid user of SocialGamer and would hate to see it go.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there any word on this stream tracking coming back? I miss it :3.

4th ever DWDTG FC on November 27, 2010.
[2:32:10 PM] Alex (MoosieHD): Honestly spamming adds difficulty
[2:32:10 PM] Alex (MoosieHD): Methods are way easier
Yewb  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamHero wrote:
So is there any word on this stream tracking coming back? I miss it :3.

The streams tracker within SocialGamer (link in the first post) still works fine, pretty much, sort of, sometimes. It's only the thread that doesn't update.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
SpoonMan  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread should really not be sticky anymore since it doesn't work anymore and there seem to be no plans on making it work. It's really just another thread on top taking up space on page 1.

If it's ever working again, awesome. Instant re-sticky. But for now... Maybe take it down
All Guitar-Only Games
WINNING.
ajanata  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if I do get around to making another thread updater, I'd probably want it to be on its own account so it wouldn't mess with my new post notifications, so it'd be a different thread anyway. At the present time, though, http://www.socialgamer.net/streams/ is still getting updated properly.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: