ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
An idea on organizing song wiki pages and incorporating TSG

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mogwai  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: An idea on organizing song wiki pages and incorporating TSG Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure if there's a standard on the pages for individual songs found in the Guitar Hero series... But from what I've seen, I don't think that there is. Most of them include random bits of information concerning random subjects, or just have nothing at all.

I was thinking it would be a neat idea to go in on each song and make a section that has all the parts of the song (as their named in practice mode. For example, 'They're Hammer Ons' in the TTFaF intro)

Once that's set up (shouldn't be hard at all), we could overtime browse the Technique, Style, and Gameplay and when we come across a guide for a specific part of a song, we would edit said song's wiki page and make the part of the song clickable, directing users to its post.

This feature would make the wiki look better overall because as of now the song pages are pretty random and oftentimes don't offer much assistance on anything.. So it would give them more of a use. It could also help prevent people making duplicate threads over the same things, making the TSG forum more organized and less cluttered with repetitive threads (which isn't an issue nowadays as much as it used to be, but still)
Check out some of my guides:
Guide To Rasing SH Score Rank - http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I try to make electronic music: Http://www.myspace.com/soundteq
Almost 60 GH5 XFCs
JCirri  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea regarding the practice section names. I could fairly easily add a syntax and formatting for adding those to the main song pages.

As far as linkable guides off the section names, it would be straightforward for early games. But in the band era games, there could be guides per section for each playable instrument. It's also acceptable for there to be more than one guide for the same thing using different methods, so I wouldn't mind seeing the ability to link more than one.

If anyone can think of a good way to accommodate the above in a simplistic format then we can look into making it happen. Thanks for the suggestion and motivation to make the song pages more useful!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a big job but, I'm sure you can handle it JC.

I can vouch for the fact that there should really be something else on Wiki sing pages since paths are the only thing there at the moment. Using a similar format for section names could be a possibility but I know next to nothing about formatting and such.

Also, (not to derail) JC, how's the rewrite looking? You said somewhere that it might be completed towards the end of the year... but I haven't noticed many changes apart from the SP Archive and the DJ Hero forums.

Anyway, this could be pretty awesome if implemented. But honestly, the earlier games will most likely be redundant in a a year or so's time, which could be an important factor to take into consideration. Any thoughts on this?
Mogwai  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a lot of work, and it would probably end up taking more of a time span than it should ... But eh, I can say that I'd personally be willing to consistently work on it if that's worth anything.

And I'm not quite sure what you mean by they would become redundant
Guide To Rasing SH Score Rank - http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Almost 60 GH5 XFCs
RichardGHP  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mogwai wrote:

What I mean is, eventually the earlier games (1, 2, 80s etc) will get forgotten about and not played by the general populace of SH. As time goes on, people will care less and less about the aforementioned games. With the plethora of new GH/RB games we have seen in this past year, the older games are becoming played to a lesser extent. If the older games are included in this new wiki feature, they will become redundant as time goes on, probably sooner than you might think.

Just a thought - it's up to JC and the staff if and how they want to run this and I am just purely stating my opinion.
LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardGHP wrote:
Mogwai wrote:

What I mean is, eventually the earlier games (1, 2, 80s etc) will get forgotten about and not played by the general populace of SH. As time goes on, people will care less and less about the aforementioned games. With the plethora of new GH/RB games we have seen in this past year, the older games are becoming played to a lesser extent. If the older games are included in this new wiki feature, they will become redundant as time goes on, probably sooner than you might think.

Just a thought - it's up to JC and the staff if and how they want to run this and I am just purely stating my opinion.
Gonna have to disagree on this one.

As an owner of every game but one, I can tell this from experience of being the leaderboards often on every game I own.

The amount of people who play (at least, competitively, or enough so to use this feature) Smash Hits, Band Hero and Guitar Hero 5 is incredibly low compared to the amount of competition on the earliest games. The first three being forgotten about? Never! That is not a possibility on ScoreHero, especially when GH2 has proved to be a site-wide favorite.

Just check out the Accomplishments forum. In the past week Electric Eye has been FCed four times, with two of those scores being the top 5 overall. Van Halen has been released. How many players on Wii have entered scores for Hard guitar? FIVE.

Having those games are definately NOT redundant. The original four games are the most played games in the series and will probably CONTINUE to be as long as ScoreHero exists.

Besides, there are very few games planned for release in 2010.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
Mogwai  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree with above post. The games might be old, but they're still commonly played and I don't think that will be changing anytime soon. Plus I think since they're more 'older' then a lot of newer users might run into problems with the very different engines (GH1 especially, no need to explain that one ).. Haha, no matter how old they become, people will always be confused by some of the parts in them.

And little titles expected in 2010? Enough downtime to catch up with the series with this feature maybe
Almost 60 GH5 XFCs
LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And let's not forget, no Guitar Hero game will ever be as high selling as GH3 was.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
JCirri  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. people will never forget the early GH games on ScoreHero. I don't see that as a concern. I'm just not sure how yet how best to format the display of having that many possible guides linked to songs in a way that's simple and intuitive.

I don't mean the syntax and code formatting (as I can handle that easily), but rather the design and layout on the screen. If someone can conceptualize a good layout, or mockup something in paint or such, let me know and I'll see if I can make it happen.

RichardGHP wrote:
Also, (not to derail) JC, how's the rewrite looking? You said somewhere that it might be completed towards the end of the year... but I haven't noticed many changes apart from the SP Archive and the DJ Hero forums.

As I updated here a while back, the rewrite is very much still planned, but with Rhythm Authors and RBN just kicking off it's been on the back-burner. I don't have a timeline to give anyone on that right now. But once the RBN Store launches and Rhythm Authors is fully running, making progress on the rewrite is my next major priority.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Wiki Brainstorming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: