ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
How NOT to run a GH tournament

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sully  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: How NOT to run a GH tournament Reply with quote

http://theboneonline.com/ads/yuenglingmartin.html

My local (Tampa, FL) rock radio station is holding several GH:M "tournaments" where the prize is $100 and a pair of Metallica tickets. I attended the event last night and boy, was it terrible. Without exaggeration, this was the most poorly structured event I've ever heard of. Here's how it went down- everyone had to play Cyanide (a 7 minute song they picked randomly, apparently) on Medium (no Hard or Expert allowed "to give everyone a chance") with a third party guitar that couldn't tilt to activate. One player at a time. High score won. Under normal circumstances I'd like these odds against 15 other random people but unfortunately for me, Draktyr was there as well and he had the good fortune of using SP better and not flubbering with the damn select button trying to activate- and man, was this select button out of the way. We blew everyone else out away and at one point I overheard some guy refer to Draktyr as "some sort of a savant" for "not missing any notes." On Medium. Maybe it was better that we didn't get to play on Expert after all!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
bl1i8n2k  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was that bad? Why didnt they have seperate signups for medium, hard, and expert so they could "give everyone a chance". But, id do it for 100 dollars and Metallica tickets (even though i stink at medium).

OBTAINED STATUS ON 11/12/09 AT 9:20 P.M. CT!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: E Ten Pooh Wii Friend Code: 2265615260693457
RustyWaffle  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was at Crue Fest, there was a competition from the local radio station that judged you by PERCENT, not score. So if that wasn't bad enough, each player had a different song chosen for them... on medium. Now I've FC a good amount of songs on gh2 (missing like 8 or so), but it was on a laggy television, and every was terrible (the 4 with the highest % got to finals, i got 100% and the other 3 got 95%). So they get to be ballsy and step up to HARD (OMGLOLWUTJETHUS). I wouldn't mind it that much if they would pick a song that is atleast challenging, but they pick Jessica (I asked for YYZ, but that was too long according to them...) We both got 100%, but I overstrummed and got a higher score. Of course, instead of going by score, they have to go by NOTE STREAK. Seriously, people should at least play the game for an day or so before deciding on these rules.

My Drum Covers (Most recent: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome)
ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Everyone hates Nihilanth. I enjoyed making that guitar chart. D:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker
Vertiggo  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on this tournament:

I ended up winning the event. It was Draktyr vs I in the finals... on a laggy projector with 3rd party Wii controllers. Bad stuff all around.

The prize was supposed to be a Wii/GH bundle, $500 cash and an HDTV. I received the Wii/GH bundle on the night of and they said they would contact me in two days about the money. It's been a week, but I haven't heard a thing back from them yet regarding the cash. In addition, they never even mentioned the TV. Something here is incredibly screwy. Guess that we should have expected this all along though, right?
gallery_5702_642_2556.png
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vVv Paradise
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suggest you to bug them with your prizes, you won them. i guess they owe you big time. $500 & a TV is something very cool for a tournament.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tournament they had here in WV was a train wreck! The tournament was set in such a way where it was about how many wins you had - NO elimination! So you had to stay over 10+ hrs. in a weekend to have a chance. On top of that, you only got to play every 30-45 minutes which kills your number of wins.

There was only 1 girl running it, who looked a little bit like Cassandra from Wayne's World (but less asian ). She had to sign people up, get the scores, and make sure people weren't cheating.

Speaking of cheating, there were 20+ rules on a poster and I say 10-15 were broken, including no pausing or changing songs in the middle of the game. Trust me, I saw a bunch of kids abuse that almost infinitely. Also, GH3 (there were 3 setups beside each other: GH2, GH3, and GH:A - which just came out at the time) was set on Co-op mode.

Also, the tournament was in the back of the convention center behind a steel beam. It took me 15 min. to find it! Plus the jazz band in the front of the room was blaring the music so loud that you couldn't even hear the game on any of the screens! I wonder why they didn't let us have a decent, proper tournament in front of a crowd.

On top of that, a 50-something guy I was playing against flipped me off after I FC'd The Trooper on Easy (we had to play the lowest comfortable difficulty, so if I played Expert and Joe Blow played Medium, I would have to play Medium). Like a good sport, I said "Good Job!" and tried to shake his hand, but as I was to shake it he pulled his hand back.

Of course, I played the guitar behind my back almost the whole time!
Caret-  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a tournament here in Finland with GH3. In the finals you played one at a time infront of a croud. You could only choose songs from the two first setlists(??) and the lag was unbearable.. First price was ps3 and the full WT-set and for second place you got nothing. The winner won everything with a 96% performance of missisippi queen. =(

Season 5 AA1 2nd GH2
Season 6 AAA1 20th GH 80's
Season 8 AAA2 8th GH3
Season 9 AAA1 22th GH3
Guitar GOD GH2, 80's & GH3
CamelTower  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, there have also been a number of poorly run tournaments in and around Chicago..

too bad i always seem to find out about them after theyre over..
NU Grad 2015
Nulien  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyWaffle wrote:
I wouldn't mind it that much if they would pick a song that is atleast challenging, but they pick Jessica (I asked for YYZ, but that was too long according to them...)

But... Jessica is longer than YYZ!
JizzleWright  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a 'tournament' here at the University Of Hertfordshire, cost £1 to enter. The was GH5 and it was projected on a screen they usually show sports on, fortunately there was no lag, but we had to use RB instruments for some reason and the Guitar had no strap and there were no chairs so you had to sit on the floor...

To win you could pick from ANY song in the game, and the highest score won, the highest score before me was somebody who 100% overstrummed plug in baby around 200,000. It took a lot of restraint to not play Do You Feel Like you do, instead I played Scatterbrain and won by like 100,000 points, the prize for all this, absolutely nothing. I didn't even get my name printed in the university magazine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: