ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Top 10 Neversoft contributions to the music video game genre
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BShea  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memesis wrote:
Honestly I'm surprised there isnt a mention of party play. A great list none the less

I was really really close to putting it on there to be honest.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could go under 5-lane drums but I also love the drum sustains. So much more realistic and, granted, I have a (drum) blast doing them.
Tagrineth  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisVance wrote:
Yes ! I claim #10 and #8!

Wait, really? The wider timing window was your idea too? O_o

Or was the infinite-front-timing-for-hopos glitch just another "It Was Vance's Fault!" situation? lol

My goals:
Put an X in this box: []
*loves dragons*
stuff i've done, insanely out of date
boss1592  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why am i not seeing "vastly superior vocals engine" on that list?

other than that, cant complain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Starchaser NI
nicko68  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite feature isn't even on the list. I don't know what it's called, but it's the chords where the notes are added one at a time instead of being all hit at the same time. I love those, they make the songs so much more fun.

I think Neversoft and Vicarious Visions (I have the Wii version) did a fantastic job with the GH franchise. The games were getting better each time, and I think GH5 is an absolutely fantastic offering. I think Bobby Kotick is being a real knob with what he's saying, and the apparent focus of his blame for any problems the GH franchise is having. I think it was more licensing issues (not all songs being importable) and marketing issues (releasing so many games) that were the major problems, not design and development issues.

Anyway, thanks so much Neversoft, I will continue to enjoy these games for a long time. Best of luck to everyone with your continued careers.
FingerQuick  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicko68 wrote:
My favourite feature isn't even on the list. I don't know what it's called, but it's the chords where the notes are added one at a time instead of being all hit at the same time. I love those, they make the songs so much more fun.

I think Neversoft and Vicarious Visions (I have the Wii version) did a fantastic job with the GH franchise. The games were getting better each time, and I think GH5 is an absolutely fantastic offering. I think Bobby Kotick is being a real knob with what he's saying, and the apparent focus of his blame for any problems the GH franchise is having. I think it was more licensing issues (not all songs being importable) and marketing issues (releasing so many games) that were the major problems, not design and development issues.

Anyway, thanks so much Neversoft, I will continue to enjoy these games for a long time. Best of luck to everyone with your continued careers.

extended sustains? >_>

I did agree with GHStudio being #1 but it really has limited things. The fact that you couldn't save more than 20 songs (say, onto an SD card) was pretty lame. Maybe they'll feature it in GH6,

GH:A was pretty fun though so good to see it's in the top 5

All in all, I agree quite well with this list.

Congrats Neversoft/Activision... here's to 6 more GH games :P

GHWoR Season 14 Leagues Champion
GH3 TTFAF FC - 6/3/2012
Join monthly GH3 Xbox LIVE GH Tournaments with us!

46|62|29|70|41|85|49|48|85|46|93|42
Full Series: 696/702
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: FingerQuickSH Wii Friend Code: 2581587414697466
Gamer9254  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good list. Party Play should've been in there, regardless of whether it was #10 or #1. When I have friends over (or a party, lol), I boot up GH5, press the Yellow button, connect the controllers, and walk away. Also, it takes away that piece of annoyance when you're playing with your buddies and one of them wants to play/doesn't want to play anymore, and you have to go back to the character screen, drop him out, re-do your setlist, etc. Party Play makes it so he pauses, he leaves, and you still play.

Also, the multiple instruments idea was pretty smart, and I was glad it was on the list. Now, I don't aruge with my friends over who's Bass.

I definitely would've included GHStudio, but I wouldn't of made it first (my first spot would have to go to "Truly Difficult Songs" or something). Sure, it's amazing at what it is, but most of GHTunes is people posting "HARDEST GH SONG EVAR" and it's just random out-of-time notes. The ones that top deserve to be in the top are on the top. Also, when I heard you could make your own songs, I thought you could import the audio track of the song and chart it. Now I know this wasn't possible due to copyright issues, but when you cover a song on it, the end result usually sounds nothing like it, which was kind of dissapointing. GHSTudio definitely deserves a spot on the list, but for me, not #1.

Regardless of the lack of Party Play, I agree with the list. I might've changed the order a bit, but it was good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: LightSwitchTTM
Prong1978  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is written by a Rock Band fanboy (er man), but one has bought and played every Neversoft GH game for the Xbox 360.

Nice article, and a solid list (although I personally couldn't care less about GH Tunes, and I don't mean that in any negative way. I just mean it wouldn't rank at #1 for me).

I'm sorry to see Neversoft go, as I 've really liked what's happened to GH with GH5/Band Hero.

Some other Neversoft innovations that I've enjoyed:

The GH5 Song Challenges
The game remembers my hyperspeed settings
Multiple hyperspeed speeds
Song lengths in the song selection area
Updated old charts to reflect new game advancements (i.e. X+ for old songs)
Black highway "cheat"
Metallifacts
I can play as my Xbox Avatar
BreakfastCereal  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great features. However, I'm surprised that being able to revive your band members isn't there. I find it great when I'm playing with my friends as a band just for fun. I just need to hit a few notes and we're all back in action, rather than the whole song stopping. Man, that was a pain until GH5.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BreakfastCereal wrote:
All great features. However, I'm surprised that being able to revive your band members isn't there. I find it great when I'm playing with my friends as a band just for fun. I just need to hit a few notes and we're all back in action, rather than the whole song stopping. Man, that was a pain until GH5.
Because that was a rock band innovation. not guitar hero. This list is all about stuff Neversoft did first and well

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buttfaceninja wrote:
BreakfastCereal wrote:
Because that was a rock band innovation. not guitar hero. This list is all about stuff Neversoft did first and well

True, but Guitar Hero took it further by removing that arbitrary "3 strikes you all fail" penalty. Surely if you have three people fc'ing the song and one person (say...my kid sister who has no rhythmic sense whatsoever) failing every few moments, the whole band shouldn't bomb out.

Or in a less extreme case, just having a play who is a bit under par with the others when suddenly a really intense song comes up. Rather than just avoiding hard songs (Schizoid, Scatterbrain, Twilight of the Thunder God, LCDS) just because your drummer can't play them, at least this way they can give it the college try and the rest of the band can enjoy playing their clusterfuck of notes (which will keep reviving the struggling drummer in this case).

It just adds a lot more to having fun, you don't have to go out of your way to avoid songs because there is an arbitrary one person fails them all point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Consanguinity Wii Friend Code: 519807246797
KrakenEater  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good list, but multiple hyperspeed levels would be a no-argument number one on my list. Seriously a great idea, and allowing different levels for different instruments, fixing it in multi-player and making it an "extra" made it that much better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrakenEater wrote:
allowing different levels for different instruments,

Oh yeah, it drives me CRAZY in Rock Band when I'm playing on expert, my son is playing on easy, and my board is moving so slowly. It totally throws me off.
RadioDuke  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrakenEater wrote:
A good list, but multiple hyperspeed levels would be a no-argument number one on my list. Seriously a great idea, and allowing different levels for different instruments, fixing it in multi-player and making it an "extra" made it that much better.

That's still not something they did first. It's just an existing idea they made better.

If you are on Scorehero, put this in your sig. Let's see how many people on ScoreHero are on Scorehero!
ChrisVance  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tagrineth wrote:
ChrisVance wrote:
Yes ! I claim #10 and #8!

Wait, really? The wider timing window was your idea too? O_o

Or was the infinite-front-timing-for-hopos glitch just another "It Was Vance's Fault!" situation? lol

Well, a little bit of both. Back in GH3 I was largely involved in alot of things. How the note hit windows would feel, how the rock meter worked, how the lag calabration is supposed to work, and a few more things.

However after GH3 we all realized uh... hrm... somethigns wrong, noticed the loose whore window bug at the front of the hit window, and then I helped re-tweak the windows for the past couple games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: