ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
USB Memory Support for Xbox. Update Live!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: USB Memory Support for Xbox. Update Live! Reply with quote

Haven't seen a thread for this yet.

USA Today wrote:
Microsoft has confirmed Xbox 360 owners will soon get to use USB flash drives to store profiles, game saves and other data. According to a blog post from Major Nelson, Xbox Live's director of programming, console owners will receive a system update on April 6 enabling the use of flash drives, which can be configured to handle a maximum of 16 GB of data. Microsoft is also partnering with SanDisk to release a pre-configured flash drive in May.

Source (Second Paragraph)

Thoughts? This actually seems like a good idea in my opinion, considering flash drives arnt that expensive and can hold a good amount of data.

Last edited by Sarg338 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rawrspoon  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft should've said THIS is why they're not allowing 3rd party memory systems >_>
joerod  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad they limit the HDD partition to 16 GB, which only makes it a slight improvement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read that last week, I went straight to amazon an ordered a 16gb, and by the way, the MS pre-config'd Flash drives are supposed to be $70, so by all means you're better off getting one yourself and configuring it yourself, which should be very easy
Gamer9254  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirbyatic wrote:
When I read that last week, I went straight to amazon an ordered a 16gb, and by the way, the MS pre-config'd Flash drives are supposed to be $70, so by all means you're better off getting one yourself and configuring it yourself, which should be very easy

Leave it to M$ to ridiculously overprice something they shouldn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: LightSwitchTTM
thesentence  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome, hopefully there will be a way to get the update offline for my banned consoles.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just got an update for my xbox, so I guess this is what its for
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: RTS Deathreaper
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for the update being live.

I put in my Flash drive, and it said that everything on it will be deleted and all of the space (up to 16GB) will be reserved for the xbox360... so I'm guessing you can't use one Flash Drive for both your computer and 360?
Kirbyatic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
I put in my Flash drive, and it said that everything on it will be deleted and all of the space (up to 16GB) will be reserved for the xbox360... so I'm guessing you can't use one Flash Drive for both your computer and 360?

I noticed a Customize section while I was doing the stuff for mine, you can probably decide how much of your flash drive you want to have put aside for your Xbox there with the rest being kept for your computer use.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirbyatic wrote:
Sarg338 wrote:

I noticed a Customize section while I was doing the stuff for mine, you can probably decide how much of your flash drive you want to have put aside for your Xbox there with the rest being kept for your computer use.

Ah, good find, didn't even notice that there. Yea, it does allow you to choose how much you want, it gives you a slider bar and allows you to choose up to 16 GB.

EDIT: Well, my Flash drive doesn't seem to work. It keeps failing the "Data loss" step of formating. Gay.
xtremecarbon  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad I can add 8GB more to my HDD I'll probably put all of my RB DLC on this (5.1GB) since I have 2.5 for other usage. OH WAIT my iPod can store 16GB of data...hmm....well either way this is amazing

My Accomplishments
Hey, I FINALLY have Rock Band 3! And with Cymbals for Pro Mode! Add XBL if you want to play. The best way to contact me is through Twitter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xtremecarbonSH PSN Name: xtremecarbon Wii Friend Code: 1874701833916044
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joerod wrote:
Too bad they limit the HDD partition to 16 GB, which only makes it a slight improvement.

Yeah, make no mistake, this is not Microsoft conceding the HDD market -- that is a far too lucrative field for them to give up. It's just them washing their hands of the memory units, which to my knowledge absolutely nobody used in the first place. 16GB is quite a bit, but it's just the right amount where people are still going to buy the proprietary disks that Microsoft sells in return for your first born. It's not an addressability (i.e. hardware) issue...as far as I know the 16GB limitation is purely marketing.

Overall it's a good move for everyone, nobody's going to be upset they can finally use flash drives for some extra storage, and Microsoft can keep bathing in money from HDD sales.

An interesting note about this move, though, is that the Arcade bundle is a lot more tempting for first time buyers now. Save 100 dollars and use your flash drive to save games, and 16GB is sufficient for quite a bit of DLC. Still, I wouldn't install games to a flash drive, but there's definitely enough room for it.

/rambling
xtremecarbon  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a double post apparently....oops.

Anyways, I couldn't use my iPod as an external source

My Sony 8GB flash drive works great, can store all of my RB stuff on there.

My Accomplishments
Hey, I FINALLY have Rock Band 3! And with Cymbals for Pro Mode! Add XBL if you want to play. The best way to contact me is through Twitter

Last edited by xtremecarbon on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xtremecarbonSH PSN Name: xtremecarbon Wii Friend Code: 1874701833916044
FBMrider86  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing I wanna know is if I can format my big ass USB HD into 3 separate partitions, one for media, the other two for storage, and it detect the two of them. I'll probably give it a try but I'll have to move everything over to my Mac, partition, then move it all back again.

Custom Guitar Paint Jobs (Submit Yours!)
Proud supporter of EWiggen's Grilled Cheese and GH Combo
socrstopr wrote:
This thread is very disturburbing. Also terrible.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Head0nFire86
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBMrider86 wrote:
The main thing I wanna know is if I can format my big ass USB HD into 3 separate partitions, one for media, the other two for storage, and it detect the two of them. I'll probably give it a try but I'll have to move everything over to my Mac, partition, then move it all back again.

I don't think so. The xbox360 formats it into 1 partition and it can only read that 1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: