ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guitar Hero: WoR Info Thread (Last Updated August 6th)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 376, 377, 378  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garwood  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the thread was updated and there were 3 new pages and I got all excited.

Then I found out it's just 3 pages of Yakkity Baawwing and i'm a bit disappointed

PS: I'll be buying the bundle because my 5Tar broke and my Les Paul drops notes like a MoFo. This appears to contain the awesomeness old the 5Tar with wicked aesthetic customization.

21st Century Schizoid Man 5* X+ Drums [x]
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went to GameStop today to pick up GD:RB and a guitar controller (as I don't have one for my 360), where I was pressured into putting money down on GH6 (or, GH:WoR). Not like I needed to be pressured.

The person at the counter informed me that placing $5 down gets me the pre-order bonus of a code for 7 songs for the game.

Now, I forgot to ask if he knew anything more - if it was GameStop-only stuff or a code for DLC (if it was the latter, certain songs or we get to pick, etc.). It may have just been them pressuring me to pre-order it, as some people know that certain GS stores have employees that don't know much - plus I hear their hours are influenced by their pre-orders and sales...

Anyways, has anyone else heard about this free song with GS pre-order thing? It doesn't surprise me since GS also has a pre-order guitar bundle... thing... going on, too...
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

If you have a chocolate bar in your heart I suggest seeking medical attention.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
fUNC  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yakityyakblah wrote:
fUNC wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:

He was making a point, but my counterpoint is that they want people to buy the bundle as they make more money that way. As a company trying to sell a product having the option to not buy the new guitar doesn't answer the problem of making me want to buy it.

Doesn't that position assume that the target audience has roughly the same collective IQ as a brick? Of course Activision wants to make money. Of course they want a higher average selling price without an equivalent dropoff in demand. Of course doing so is going to give them a bit more press and awareness from a wider swath of gamers. Pumping out standalone game after game just reinforces the idea (in the public's mind, at least) that there's nothing truly unique about the title, whereas putting a higher investment in a larger box/sticker price tells people that, hey, this is big.

However, from the consumer's standpoint it still serves a number of functions: Plastic guitars will inevitably break, people want a reason to be excited about the model they replace it with, interchangeable bodies make the player feel an additional degree of control/ownership over the guitar, and said flexibility (without sacrificing function, of course) lets them grab the design that's most comfortable. Personally, I might hate the first wave of designs, but I love the idea behind them and hope they're otherwise just as solid as the 5tars.

But by pushing out new guitars they cause the retailers to put old guitars on clearance, and if the consumer has a choice between last years guitar for 10 dollars or this new one for full price is having a customizable body going to cut it? Would it justify the price difference for you?

Also I find it strange that you say the customers would have to have the IQ of a brick and then you say they'll fall for something being a big deal just because it comes in a big box and is expensive. Unless I misinterpreted what you meant.

The clearance guitars don't stick around as long as you'd think- at my Best Buy, for instance, we had the WTars get marked down to $35 and were sold out the day after. If they hang around at a price ~$20-$30 less than the new design, you tend to see a fairly even split of people going for the cheaper (but still functional) option and the sparkly new one.

On the second point, I'd implied from previous posts in the thread that part of your argument boiled down to "Activision releases the guitar bundle to make* people gravitate towards a higher ASP rather than saving the customers money and buying the stand-alone game. Even after working around clueless mothers and grandmas in retail for as long as I have, I think that the average GH buyer is smart enough to view it as a choice and not a flytrap.

*This is the crux of the implication and where I could've easily taken your rationale a bit too far... dunno, I was drunk at the time.

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
Oatzem  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTHomeslice wrote:
Oatzem wrote:
im gonna go out there and say the dillinger escape plan song is milk lizard or black bubblegum, seen as theyre the most well known

The DEP song in GH iPhone is Farewell, Mona Lisa, so there's a good chance it'll be that.

:|

drums.

get me drums.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know whats worse than someone bawwing about something they dont like (even tho everyone is always entitled to their own opinion, especially on message boards where open discussion is encouraged)?

people bawwing about the baw.

Not that yak even is bawwing. He's actual one of the most rational levelheaded thinkers left on this board, yet he's always the one given this negative connotation. So he doesn't like the new guitar. Doesn't mean you guys have to defend the guitar's pride with your fucking lives.

In fact there are several posts ITT that have been along the lines of "That guitar is fugly" or "wow that guitar doesn't look good at all" yet yak is the only one getting railed on.

tl;dr: move on and get on that Interstate Love Song topic I brought up a couple pages back <_<

toymachine  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oatzem wrote:

JTHomeslice wrote:
The DEP song... GH

:|

drums.

get me drums.

fix'd xD
Neoxon  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memesis wrote:
Whether or not existing players of the game will or will not buy these guitars is beside the point. Yes, most players probably have plenty of plastic instruments lying around from previous installments. Yes, it is essentially identical to any previous GH guitar peripheral (sans the touch strip). Believe it or not, there are still people out there who have not bought a Guitar Hero game. So, while it may not make sense to purchase yet another guitar for some of you, it does make sense from a business standpoint to put out a new peripheral with the new product. By redesigning the guitar and removing extraneous features that most people neglect (ie the touch strip), the cost of producing these peripherals is reduced, increasing the profitability of potential hardware sales. And as far as the body pieces go, people love to customize their stuff. It allows them to have the guitar they want without having to buy a whole new peripheral. I personally could care less, but if i could have my GH guitar look like my ESP, I would drop the extra coin for the new body in a heartbeat. Smart business IMO.

Well, that sounds alright (more so since I need a second guitar). Though one question, can I still use my touch strip for GH:WoR if I were to use my GH5/BH Guitar? Where the bodies are concerned, I hope you guys have tons of customizable bodies avaliable around the launch of GH:WoR (earlier, day-one, or shortly afterward), I would love to add new shapes for the guitar.

Though one other thing, will you guys offer the drum kit shipped with Band Hero Wii in the US (& Band Hero in Europe) with the GH:WoR Super Bundle. I loved the drum kit (Wii) at my cousin's house & my current drums (the ones that came with BH) are not holding up too well.

Region: NTSC
Instruments: Vocals (Expert), Guitar (Expert)
Games Imported: GHWT
Ex-Wii Rocker: GH3, GHWT, GH5, GHVH

Will Get RB2, GH:WoR, & RB3
fUNC  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yusuke wrote:
you know whats worse than someone bawwing about something they dont like (even tho everyone is always entitled to their own opinion, especially on message boards where open discussion is encouraged)?

people bawwing about the baw.

Not that yak even is bawwing. He's actual one of the most rational levelheaded thinkers left on this board, yet he's always the one given this negative connotation. So he doesn't like the new guitar. Doesn't mean you guys have to defend the guitar's pride with your fucking lives.

In fact there are several posts ITT that have been along the lines of "That guitar is fugly" or "wow that guitar doesn't look good at all" yet yak is the only one getting railed on.

tl;dr: move on and get on that Interstate Love Song topic I brought up a couple pages back <_<

I really don't see it as BAWWing at all- more of a discussion about how the community (fans, non-fans, old fans, etc.) would react to a major selling point of the new game. I'm a RB fanboy through and through and tend to side with YYB on a majority of topics in these parts, but using said guitar as a starting point for discussing Activision's marketing strategy in this specific niche isn't whining in the least. I don't know if anybody is really trying to convince the guy as much as they're presenting their own perspectives on the bullet points he brings up. To his credit (and the reason people keep responding), the guy keeps at it with well-constructed, rational responses.

To me, doing that leads to far more constructive posts than "I can't wait for (song X) now that it's been announced!" over and over. Not that I'm trying to be hypocritical- it's just my own personal opinion. Tons of people love them, and I moderated hundreds over on RBDLC.com. Maybe it's just my personality, but these last few pages read like a bunch of people sitting around a table having a level-headed discussion, not a debate.

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
toymachine  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://oneofswords.com/2010/06/hands-on-with-the-new-ghwor-controller/

and now a word from someone that is holding the controller.

Last edited by toymachine on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: cRANKbALL
Deak2112  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:

and now a word from someone that has actually tried the controller

I was a little distracted during the vid, Man, I'm going to hell but my only problem with the new guitar is that it looks too light. The 5tar had some weight on it so I'm just used to that.

For lulz my Wiki and for My Youtube Channel

Free Bird since 11/9/2009
My only regret is that I only have one life to give for my Lord
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Deak2112
Guitarh4ck3r  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this guitar I think, plus the amount of custom "wings" I will be able to make myself will be suhweet. Bring back the good ol' days and make me a log guitar ;D
Uunoftw  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deak2112 wrote:
toymachine wrote:

and now a word from someone that has actually tried the controller

I was a little distracted during the vid, Man, I'm going to hell but my only problem with the new guitar is that it looks too light. The 5tar had some weight on it so I'm just used to that.

I've never really played with anything but the WT guitar and I'm concerned about the weight too (LP is way too light for me (not to mention the tiny strum bar). I may have to pick up the bundle anyway as my plastar isn't really in mint condition anymore
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 0756262955296727
Yveul  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is the definitive one, but I'm quite worried about the strumbar. Looks like de old Wtar one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Davers  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:

and now a word from someone that is holding the controller.

I had a really hard time concentrating on this vid. That guy's lazy eye really needs to be fixed o.O

I agree with sean, looks very light. Also, confirms that there is no touch strip. And the whammy bar looks to be a bit shorter than the 5tar which is a plus. I thought it was too long on the newer guitar and it made it hard for me to get full whammy out of notes. Bars shorter like on the xplorer and LP make it extremely easy to full whammy notes. Albeit, the whammy bar is that short on this one, it does look like it might be easier to use.

InflatablePie wrote:
Anyways, has anyone else heard about this free song with GS pre-order thing? It doesn't surprise me since GS also has a pre-order guitar bundle... thing... going on, too...

So free songs and the Axe wings (according to the new vid) are available for preorder at GS only it seems?? If the free songs part is legit, guess I'll be preordering....
Neoxon  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graf wrote:
TheGreatDave wrote:
If only they'd release a version of the game without a guitar, instead of forcing people to buy these designs KOTTTTTTICK!

Um...they always do release the standalone game for those not interested in another guitar

Link

At least the option is out there. Me, I'll give the GH:WoR guitar a chance (concidering it'll fix the issues with the other guitars & it's customization). Here's to hoping they release a fari amount of guitar shapes around launch.

Region: NTSC
Instruments: Vocals (Expert), Guitar (Expert)
Games Imported: GHWT
Ex-Wii Rocker: GH3, GHWT, GH5, GHVH

Will Get RB2, GH:WoR, & RB3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 376, 377, 378  Next
Page 53 of 378

Jump to: