Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Content Deleted
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anonymous_97  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: This post has been deleted. Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm listening to Ripples (song) atm on their MySpace. The intro reminded me of DT, yeah, but the vocals are very different.

... Getting to the keyboard solo now. I like how they maintain a kind of tension throughout the song, even though it's quite a calm track so far.

I'll certainly look more into them (=

EDIT: I absolutely LOVE the groovy last keyboard solo!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
anonymous_97  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TensionSpree  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, there some metalcore dissin' here? My nickname, Mr. Metalcore is offended!

In all seriousness I'll check this band out. Do they have the high-pitched vocals characteristic of prog (metal/rock)?

Recent FCs: Man In The Box (Guitar)

Will not remove this in my signature until "Unholy Confessions" by Avenged Sevenfold is added to Rock Band DLC.
Started: July 31st, 2010
Still don't wanna remove it! Happy it's here, though!
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TensionSpree wrote:
Hey, there some metalcore dissin' here? My nickname, Mr. Metalcore is offended!

In all seriousness I'll check this band out. Do they have the high-pitched vocals characteristic of prog (metal/rock)?

...High-pitched vocals are more a characteristic of Power Metal...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
TensionSpree  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rush
Dream Theater
Muse I think, can't remember

I know the first two have high-pitched somewhat nasally voices, because it definitely isn't normal/low pitched...

Recent FCs: Man In The Box (Guitar)

Will not remove this in my signature until "Unholy Confessions" by Avenged Sevenfold is added to Rock Band DLC.
Started: July 31st, 2010
Still don't wanna remove it! Happy it's here, though!
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TensionSpree wrote:
Rush
Dream Theater

I know the first two have high-pitched somewhat nasally voices, because it definitely isn't normal/low pitched...

Muse is progressive? .___________.

Last edited by Ontwikseltsaar on Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontwikseltsaar wrote:
TensionSpree wrote:
Rush
Dream Theater

Muse is progressive? .___________.

Kinda, yeah. Listen to a lot of the tracks from Black Holes and Revelations. They're a bit more mainstream than other bands we traditionally associate with prog, but I'd say they are, at least somewhat.
anonymous_97  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to listening to this band... great find. I'm really lovin' it so far, even though I've only listened to Ripples. Thanks for bringing this to our attention
eyewin8  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Aspera - Ripples (My Album of the year so far) Prog Meta Reply with quote

AshleyAlden wrote:
I don't consider any bands with screaming to be anything more than metalcore.

You don't know anything about music

Shvereal proved me wrong by FCing SWTA 1a and 2d without elbow strums. He is the motherfucking shit.
anonymous_97  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: This post has been deleted. Reply with quote

eyewin8  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Aspera - Ripples (My Album of the year so far) Prog Meta Reply with quote

AshleyAlden wrote:
eyewin8 wrote:
AshleyAlden wrote:

Music is subjective, don't feed the troll, etc.

No, that part isn't subjective. That is called music history, which you clearly know nothing about.

Shvereal proved me wrong by FCing SWTA 1a and 2d without elbow strums. He is the motherfucking shit.
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ark was very good also. I'll be getting stuff from both these bands soon. I'm surprised at how helpful this was, because normally when people mention Dream Theater they go on to reference bands like Pain of Salvation and Symphony X, whom I just can't seem to get into much. Saw Symphony X live once, and it was surprisingly unimpressive... the bands that opened for them did put on a much better show Maybe they just couldn't get into it because it was such a small venue, but still.

As far as screaming goes, there are genres other than metalcore with screaming, lol. No point in arguing about it in this thread, though, there's a "genres" thread farther down the first page I believe.
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Aspera - Ripples (My Album of the year so far) Prog Meta Reply with quote

eyewin8 wrote:
AshleyAlden wrote:
eyewin8 wrote:
AshleyAlden wrote:

Music is subjective, don't feed the troll, etc.

No, that part isn't subjective. That is called music history, which you clearly know nothing about.

I'm siding with eyewin here, the only reason I'm probablly not gonna write an entire rageful rant about how wrong that statement is is because Opeth has a calming effect on me, another Prog band that incorporates screaming and is DEFINITELY not metalcore, perhaps the opposite end of the spectrum. Metalcore (which itself barely constitutes as a sub-genre of Metal) has (by far) the weakest screams out of any sub-genre of Metal, to say that bands that "scream" are Metalcore is a very (simply put) wrong statement, not only for Metal, but other genres that include screams as well (Free Jazz, Hardcore, Post-Hardcore, etc.). Long story short, bands like Melechesch are definitely not Metalcore. It's not about subjectivity, it's about that fact that screaming is a common element found in many different genres of music, and Metalcore definitely shouldn't be used as a staple example for it.

Edit: With that said, the band is pretty interesting, nothing incredibly special to me, but I wouldn't mine dropping a few bucks on an album.

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Symphony X, whom I just can't seem to get into much. Saw Symphony X live once, and it was surprisingly unimpressive...

O.O

If Paradise Lost wasn't your thing, maybe The Odyssey (By far their best album) might be more appealing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: