ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Rappers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FretsOnFireGh2  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Rappers? Reply with quote

I know probably 80% of the people here are going to be "lolrapsux," but I thought I'd post anyways, sharing a link to something I recorded and asking for some advice.

I've been writing since 9th grade, so around 5 years probably, but I never really had the voice to actually record anything. About a week ago I finally decided I want to write and record a song, whether the voice sounded right or not, I was going to force it and make it work.

Here's the result: Link removed, the more I listen to it over and over the worse it sounds to me. Will post a new link whenever I record a new song.

Now my question for you guys, how do I work on finding this rap voice that sounds right, and not like some 18 year old kid getting bored in his room and trying to record a song? I've had a couple people tell me that I sound a little out of breath, so I'll be starting to go to the gym here soon and hopefully that'll solve that problem. (No, I'm not just going to the gym for the sole purpose of rapping)

There's also a slight nasally sound to it, and when I try to go any lower or higher than my normal voice it sounds horrible.

Like I said, I've been writing for a long time, so I feel like my lyrics are alright, but if you have any tips on those then I'll gladly take all I can get ;)

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Just thought I'd post it here because SH is a fairly big forum where I won't have tons of my friends from around here saying "lolgiveup" etc.

Thanks ahead of time, and feel free to share your work as well and ask for advice.
-FretsOnFireGh2

I belong to the ManOfMrE Fan Club.

Last edited by FretsOnFireGh2 on Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I like your lyrics.

Second, I feel that the emotional side of Rap is a difficult place to start out with the voice and lyrics, primarily with your voice because you reaaaally have to sell it. Your lyrics are nice, but your voice is the real driving factor to the rap. I'm not trying to steer you away from the genre you enjoy, but I think it would be easier developing your technique by taking a more gangsta rap style.

This is what I think you need to work on:
A) Your voice is a little too low, I know its kind of hard to change the pitch but to compensate you should try to rap louder and enunciate more.
B) You should try mixing it up some, I feel less like your rapping and more like your toasting or just going spoken word. Try experimenting with your voice, speed and inflection.
c) You are a little out of breath, but your better off working on your breathing through breathing exercises and practicing rapping versus working out (not saying the cardio work doesn't help though)

This is just my opinion here, take it or leave it. Good luck.
Just out of curiosity, what rappers are you trying to emulate/what rappers do you like?
FretsOnFireGh2  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganondorf901 wrote:
First off, I like your lyrics.

Second, I feel that the emotional side of Rap is a difficult place to start out with the voice and lyrics, primarily with your voice because you reaaaally have to sell it. Your lyrics are nice, but your voice is the real driving factor to the rap. I'm not trying to steer you away from the genre you enjoy, but I think it would be easier developing your technique by taking a more gangsta rap style.

This is what I think you need to work on:
A) Your voice is a little too low, I know its kind of hard to change the pitch but to compensate you should try to rap louder and enunciate more.
B) You should try mixing it up some, I feel less like your rapping and more like your toasting or just going spoken word. Try experimenting with your voice, speed and inflection.
c) You are a little out of breath, but your better off working on your breathing through breathing exercises and practicing rapping versus working out (not saying the cardio work doesn't help though)

This is just my opinion here, take it or leave it. Good luck.
Just out of curiosity, what rappers are you trying to emulate/what rappers do you like?

I'll take it for sure. I'm not expecting "Omg ur a god," haha, I'm looking for help from more experienced rappers/singers, which, from reading this, I'm thinking is what you more than likely are.

I've been experimenting with the voice, its really hard to find one that works for me. I'm not sure if its partially because of the bad mic, or just because I'm going about it all wrong. I've tried higher pitched stuff, attempted to sound more (hopefully this offends no one) "black" with it, and really I just can't find anything that works. I've tried raspy singing like Chris Webby, also turned out to be a huge failure.

Could you explain a couple of the breathing exercises, or give me a couple good songs to use as practice verses?

The rappers I'd like to emulate or whatever, or rather the ones who inspired me, would be the obvious, Eminem with songs like 25 to Life, Kim, and a newish one, Love the Way You Lie Part 2. I'll actually be doing a remake of that in the near future. Aside from him, Chris Webby is great, I've written some stuff thats uhh, more his style. The whole partying, use of metaphors, etc. in rhymes. And that's probably about it.

I've written some of the "gangster" or whatever you'd like to call it raps in the past, thats what I started off with when I first started attempting to write around 5 years ago. I've just never recorded any of it yet. During the summer after hearing 25 to Life, I started moving on to the emotional stuff, like this one, because of some stuff I went through with a stupid girl.

Really my goal is just to be like Eminem is now, rapping about stuff that nearly everyone thinks about, but no one just comes out and says it out loud.

Here's the verse that REALLY inspired me to start trying to write, from Love the Way You Lie Part 2, which I mentioned above:

This morning, you wake, a sunray hits your face
smeared makeup as we lay in the wake of destruction
hush baby, speak softly, tell me I’ll be sorry
that you pushed me into the coffee table last night
so I can push you off me
try and touch me so I can scream at you not to touch me
run out the room and I’ll follow you like a lost puppy
baby, without you, I’m nothing, I’m so lost, hug me
then tell me how ugly I am, but that you’ll always love me
then after that, shove me, in the aftermath of the
destructive path that we’re on,
two psychopaths but we
know that no matter how many knives we put in each other’s backs
that we’ll have each other’s backs, ’cause we’re that lucky
together, we move mountains, let’s not make mountains out of molehills,
you hit me twice, yeah, but who’s countin’?
I may have hit you three times, I’m startin’ to lose count
but together, we’ll live forever, we found the youth fountain
our love is crazy, we’re nuts, but I refused counsellin’
this house is too huge, if you move out I’ll burn all two thousand
square feet of it to the ground, ain’t shit you can do about it
with you I’m in my f-ckin’ mind, without you, I’m out it

Anyways yea, thanks a ton for the feedback and I'd love to hear more from you and other experienced singers/rappers.
-FretsOnFireGh2

Venim619  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me say that I have a limited knowledge of rap but I understand a few concepts that I'm willing to share.

Ganondorf really got it down. Your annunciation and speed seems to be what's really holding you back. Your lyrics aren't bad (which is saying a lot for this genre [at least in recent years]) but I can definitely tell that you're inspired by Eminem. That, in my opinion, is the major downfall of modern rap. Everyone is inspired by someone else. I know it's asking a lot to draw inspiration from within yourself but that's where rapping stops being "not bad" and starts being kick ass. Try putting variations and twists on your flow. Speed up when I'm least expecting it, slow down when your mouth hurts, add in a pause where you think it would sound good. Throw basically every other rapper out of the window and rap about something that's important to you and rap it in a way that's unique to you.

Good luck.
FretsOnFireGh2  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venim619 wrote:
First, let me say that I have a limited knowledge of rap but I understand a few concepts that I'm willing to share.

Ganondorf really got it down. Your annunciation and speed seems to be what's really holding you back. Your lyrics aren't bad (which is saying a lot for this genre [at least in recent years]) but I can definitely tell that you're inspired by Eminem. That, in my opinion, is the major downfall of modern rap. Everyone is inspired by someone else. I know it's asking a lot to draw inspiration from within yourself but that's where rapping stops being "not bad" and starts being kick ass. Try putting variations and twists on your flow. Speed up when I'm least expecting it, slow down when your mouth hurts, add in a pause where you think it would sound good. Throw basically every other rapper out of the window and rap about something that's important to you and rap it in a way that's unique to you.

Good luck.

Now that I listen back to it, not only does it have just the basic AABB etc rhyming thing, its all the same speed too.

In the song I'm working on at the moment, there's a lot more variation in it. For example instead of just having the last like four syllables at the end of each line rhyme, I'm doing that while at the same time rhyming another word about halfway through the lines. Not sure if that made any sense, but I think by doing that / changing speeds it'll help a lot.

About the whole inspiration thing, I agree to an extent, but I think its good to have an inspiration as well. I'll try to work on my "sound" or whatever, and make it my own. But for now I think its good to try to use other rappers' styles as a crutch kinda. Just my opinion though.

Thanks for the feedback
-FretsOnFireGh2

uSound  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid stuff, it's a lot better than a good chunk of rap these days.

You mentioned above how you say that you want to sound "black". I wasn't offended by that, but it was more confusing as to why. To be honest with you, I don't think Eminem sounds "black" yet he's more or less the best. Cypress Hill is comprised of people who are Latino, and B-Real's delivery is far from "black". Basically, I think you should just find a delivery sound that you like to listen to, and potentially one that's unique.

As far as tempo with delivery, like everyone's saying it's really good to make it diverse speed wise and rhyme wise. However, I'd like to note a trend that's been popping up lately with speed that I find kinda annoying, and that's the pause at the end of a line followed by 1 or 2 words completing the metaphor. Case in point, Forever by Drake and co., especially his verse. "Swimmin in the money, come and find me -- Nemo / If I was at the club you know I ball -- chemo." In my opinion, it's cool at times, kinda lame when used often. But that's probably just me. :P

Lyrically, you're doing alright, from what I heard (enunciation is key, at least for me), and choosing an Alicia Keys beat shows the ability to branch out.

Keep at it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: uSound PSN Name: uSoundSH
Venim619  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another piece of advice, rap over this.
FretsOnFireGh2  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uSound wrote:
Solid stuff, it's a lot better than a good chunk of rap these days.

Thanks man, good to hear stuff like that.

uSound wrote:
You mentioned above how you say that you want to sound "black". I wasn't offended by that, but it was more confusing as to why. To be honest with you, I don't think Eminem sounds "black" yet he's more or less the best. Cypress Hill is comprised of people who are Latino, and B-Real's delivery is far from "black". Basically, I think you should just find a delivery sound that you like to listen to, and potentially one that's unique.

I didn't really word that very well. Eminem doesn't sound black, no, but he sounds way closer to a black man than he does to say, what you would imagine some white kid on the chess team sounding like (sorry again if my description offends anyone haha). I guess its not so much that I want to sound black, but that I don't want to sound like a nerdy white kid. Which, now that I think about it, isn't too bad. I guess its more about the lyrics. But if you sing your favorite verse and sound exactly like the original, and then plug your nose and sing the exact same verse, it'd be a lot less appealing the second time around.

uSound wrote:
As far as tempo with delivery, like everyone's saying it's really good to make it diverse speed wise and rhyme wise. However, I'd like to note a trend that's been popping up lately with speed that I find kinda annoying, and that's the pause at the end of a line followed by 1 or 2 words completing the metaphor. Case in point, Forever by Drake and co., especially his verse. "Swimmin in the money, come and find me -- Nemo / If I was at the club you know I ball -- chemo." In my opinion, it's cool at times, kinda lame when used often. But that's probably just me. :P

I've kind of been doing something like that with some of my writing, but not the same way that Drake does it there. Instead of having a pause, then putting the ending word, I'll have the ending word be in the middle of a sentence, pause, and then pick up the sentence on the next line. I searched through what I have saved on my computer to find an example, and the only one I could find was one from when I was first starting to write. So it's one of my more immature ones (about drugs, sex, etc), so I won't be posting the whole thing. Just the three lines where you can see the example.

And I'm not a rapper, just a white guy tryin' to be Eminem
And I'm not trying to call him out, or say I'm better than
him, but what the ____ does better mean?

Not a very good rhyme or whatever, but just using it as an example. I end the second line at "better than," then pick it up again with "him" on the third line. Normally they're more complex than this, but its the only example I could find really.

uSound wrote:
Lyrically, you're doing alright, from what I heard (enunciation is key, at least for me), and choosing an Alicia Keys beat shows the ability to branch out.

Keep at it!

Thanks man, like I said its good to hear some positive feedback. The Alicia Keys beat actually came after the lyrics were done. I had originally recorded it on a friend's beat, but it sounded horrible. Then I heard that song, and gave it a go and it worked out perfectly (or, as perfect of a track that someone with very little skill can make).

With this next song I'm taking the opposite approach. I heard Love the Way You Lie Part 2, and loved it. I was upset that Eminem only had one verse in like a six minute song, and listening to it, I realized that I could throw a verse in after every one of Rihanna's little things (dunno what to call them lol) and make a decent song out of it. Not to say its not decent already, I love it.

What order to people usually go in when making a song? It changes for me every time.

And thanks for taking the time to post.

Venim: I'll give it a shot after I finish what I'm working on currently.
-FretsOnFireGh2

Xtresso  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing Rihanna sings is called a hook.

That's about all I can offer in the way of helpful information since I'm not too experienced in rapping myself, but it seems like you're on the right track lyrically and have a grasp of the concepts, so I'm sure you can do really well in the future!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xtresso wrote:
The thing Rihanna sings is called a hook.

That's about all I can offer in the way of helpful information since I'm not too experienced in rapping myself, but it seems like you're on the right track lyrically and have a grasp of the concepts, so I'm sure you can do really well in the future!

Haha nah it's not the hook in Love the Way You Lie Part 2, at least not all of it. She goes:

On the first page of our story, the future seems so bright.
And this thing turned out so evil, I don't know why I'm still surprised.
Even angels have their wicked schemes and you take death to new extremes.
But you'll always be my hero, even though you lost your mind.

Followed by the hook, Just gonna stand there and watch me burn, etc etc, then:

Now this gravel in our voices, glass is shattered from the fight.
In this tug of war, you'll always win, even when I'm right.
Cause you feed me fables from your hand,
With violet words and empty threats and it's sick that all these battles are what keeps me satisfied.

Followed by the hook again, and finally:

So maybe I'm a masochist
I try to run but I don't wanna ever leave.
Til the walls are goin' up in smoke with all our memories.

Before Eminem's verse and then one last hook.

Here's a link if you wanna check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaOXT9zfbiU I'm really not sure what that would be called.
-FretsOnFireGh2

ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venim makes a real good point, people (especially me) appreciate original voices in rap. In fact, I find rappers with similar voices to be annoying, so its best that you find your own style.

What I'm trying to say about the style, maybe try recording and uploading a song about something less emotional and something either more angry or with a more partying feel to it. Sadness and Love are difficult emotions to portray even in a regular speaking voice, which is why its easier to 'hone your skills', so to speak, with a different style (say, a song about partying). But hey thts just my 2 cents.

What I would suggest is to really listen and analyze All Eyez on Me, Ready to Die, The Chronic: 2001, and 36 Chambers. Not to name drop some of the biggest rap albums ever, but if you take time and pay attention to not just the rap, but how they rap, you'll learn more than anyone can possibly teach you. Pay attention to the way the enunciate, their flow, and, probably most importantly, the way they construct their verses. Flow and construction are the 2 most important, listen closely to the way they (especially Biggie) pauses in between lines, sentences or even words and how they vary their versus (granted, this will rely mostly on your samples).

And you know, if you really want to get better (I mean if you really want to take rap seriously), they sell books with some pretty decent advice on it too.

And while I love the sample Venim posted, thats not the best track for novice rapping.
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with ya when it comes to the voice. I have the same problem- I have the flow, but my voice is terrible for it, the primary difference being that my voice is even worse than yours. Yours isn't really that bad- it at leas has potential. You need to rap louder though. The volume is fine but your voice isn't much above a whisper, if you rap it usually works better witha powerful voice. Not to mention, if you ever did it live, no one would be able to hear/understand you. The increase in volume will put more pop between your syllables and make it sound less like a mumble.

If you ever need tips for writing songs, I'm your man, and if you ever need tips for improving your rap speed, I'm DEFINITELY your man. A couple years back I almost got the world record for fastest rap. True story. Let me know if you're inerested in either.
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
If you ever need tips for writing songs, I'm your man, and if you ever need tips for improving your rap speed, I'm DEFINITELY your man. A couple years back I almost got the world record for fastest rap. True story. Let me know if you're inerested in either.

Holy shit nice, got any vids?
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganondorf901 wrote:
Vampyromaniac wrote:

Holy shit nice, got any vids?

nope. As I said, my voice is terrible. More importantly, I don't have a camera, though I might could record my voice. I'd not be willing to do it though, unless I was home alone, which doesn't actually happen too often. Next time it does I'll throw something together for ya.

I'm not as fast as I used to be, because I used to practice. I could do 16 syllables a second on a fairly good day back then, when the record was 15.3 averaged over a minute iirc. I never tried to beat the record because some young dude named ricky brown got over 18, which was out of my league. Now that I'm out of practice, I could probably do phrases that were around 12 syllables per second, or so. More on a good day, less on a bad day or when I'm tired.
FretsOnFireGh2  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh man, guess I'll have to make Love the Way You Lie remake a long-term project then. But its worth it if it'll turn out better in the end.

I'll look into a beginner's book or something and see if it helps at all.

16 syllables per second? Holy shit I'd be lucky to get 8.

EDIT: I removed the link from the OP. The more I listen to it back the worse it sounds to me, and the more embarassed I get by it, lol.

Ganondorf, do you have any of your work recorded for us to hear?
-FretsOnFireGh2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: