Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Concept Albums?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaserAntigrav  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Concept Albums? Reply with quote

So, I searched around and I couldn't find a thread that discusses/recommends/compares/etc. concept albums, so I figured, why not start one?

Being a huge fan of concept albums, but not knowing where to look has put me in quite a predicament. So, I start off by stating my favorite concept albums...

American Idiot by Green Day: The story is absolutely beautiful, and Billie Joe's lyrics really put you in a good state of mind for this album.

Ziltoid: The Omniscient by Devin Townsend: Amazing music, great story.

A Thousand Suns by Linkin Park: Absolutely beautiful. Very abstract, and it speaks of how war is a destructive path. Simply amazing.

What do you guys think about concept albums, and what are your favorite?

"The Halo over my demise / Following a God so blind / Shallow in their sickening, swallow not the shit they feed."
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: g3arsofwar0wns PSN Name: sacredring
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my favourites would be De-loused In The Comatorium and Frances The Mute, both by The Mars Volta, and Kezia by Protest The Hero.

That said, I have a hard time regarding the Mars Volta ones as concept albums 'cos they're so lyrically oblique that it's hard to grasp any sort of story.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
LaserAntigrav  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
I guess my favourites would be De-loused In The Comatorium and Frances The Mute, both by The Mars Volta, and Kezia by Protest The Hero.

That said, I have a hard time regarding the Mars Volta ones as concept albums 'cos they're so lyrically oblique that it's hard to grasp any sort of story.

Well I'll definitely be checking out that Protest the Hero album. Thanks for the input!

"The Halo over my demise / Following a God so blind / Shallow in their sickening, swallow not the shit they feed."
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: g3arsofwar0wns PSN Name: sacredring
inv4der  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides American Idiot and Ziltoid I've enjoyed these:

Hospice by The Antlers
Funeral by Arcade Fire
Neon Bible by Arcade Fire
The Suburbs by Arcade Fire
The Human Equation by Ayreon
Colors by Between the Buried and Me
The Great Misdirect by Between the Buried and Me
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles
Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa by Cradle of Filth
Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory by Dream Theater
De-Loused in the Comatorium by The Mars Volta
Crack The Skye by Mastodon
Blood Mountain by Mastodon
The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance
The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd
The Wall by Pink Floyd
Deadwing by Porcupine Tree
Fortress by Protest the Hero
2112 by Rush
10,000 Days by Tool

Now since that's a pretty long list, I'm not gonna get into why I liked each one, but I might be willing to make recommendations.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the contribution, inv4der.

I definitely should have put 2112 in my original list. Incredible story.

I'll be checking out the vast majority of what you've posted.

EDIT: Wow, how dumb am I for not realizing Crack The Skye was a concept album? That's also a great album, and I will be looking a bit deeper for the story.

lazor  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't really call 2112 a concept album
LaserAntigrav  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazor wrote:
i wouldn't really call 2112 a concept album

This is a very good point, however it is considered by many to be a concept 'album', the only song that follows a concept is 2112. I like to think of it as a concept album, because 2112 is made up of 'sub'-songs, however whether it can be called a concept album is up for debate.

inv4der  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I made that list by looking thought wikipedia's list of concept albums and listed the albums I remember liking. I'd say 2112 counts, personally, but whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
Hospice by The Antlers

/slaps self for forgetting that

Quote:
Funeral by Arcade Fire
Neon Bible by Arcade Fire
The Suburbs by Arcade Fire

Who is Arcade Fire????!!

Also more on that list I either forgot about or didn't realise were concept albums. *cap'nfail*

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantom on the Horizon by The Fall of Troy (tells a story about a marooned ship and its crew... and ghostly shit)

Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys by My Chemical Romance (the band's alter egos, the Fabulous Killjoys, battle an evil corporation... through catchy hooks!)

technically if you consider themes concepts, then:

OK Computer/Amnesiac/Kid A/The Bends by Radiohead

There's A Riot Goin' On by Sly & The Family Stone

I know there's more, my music class is doing a unit on them.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
LaserAntigrav  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:

Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys by My Chemical Romance (the band's alter egos, the Fabulous Killjoys, battle an evil corporation... through catchy hooks!)

I was going to mention this, but decided against it for a reason I don't quite remember. Highly recommend this album!

b.vicious  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supposedly the march by unearth was a concept album which includes "symbolizing both the evil and hopeful sides of humanity"

i personally just love the album but i didn't really know there was meaning behind it till i wikipedia'd it the other day.

My Youtube Channel CHECK OUT MY GUITAR COVERS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaserAntigrav wrote:

EDIT: Wow, how dumb am I for not realizing Crack The Skye was a concept album? That's also a great album, and I will be looking a bit deeper for the story.

Trust me the story is... Odd

I understand it better now after seeing the live show with the video in the background and even then all i know is it has something to do with:
Rasputin
Cultists
Time Travelling/Astral Travelling/Time rift (something involving a limbo looking backdrop)
The Devil

Aside from that I have no idea what the actual story behind the album is, but it seemed absolutely epic/ridiculous.

Also to add:
My Arms your Hearse by Opeth
Still Life by Opeth

And the "kinda concept albums" albums:
Ghost Reveries by Opeth, started out as a concept album, and eventually had more added into it,so essentially 3/4 of the album is a concept album.

ObZen by Meshuggah, doesn't have an overarching story per-say. However the entire album looks at a single idea, how our society finds a sort of zen like relaxation from obscene amounts of violence and horror. (hence the album name)
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
JLynn  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't met an Ayreon album I didn't like, and of course the aforementioned The Human Equation is stellar.

Other concept albums I enjoy, that have not been mentioned already:

Iced Earth - Dark Saga (based on Spawn), Horror Show (based on favorite scary monsters)
Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite

Once upon a time I enjoyed the Symphony of Enchanted Lands album series by Rhapsody (later known as Rhapsody of Fire) but haven't listened to them in a LONG time.
inv4der  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
LaserAntigrav wrote:

Trust me the story is... Odd

I understand it better now after seeing the live show with the video in the background and even then all i know is it has something to do with:
Rasputin
Cultists
Time Travelling/Astral Travelling/Time rift (something involving a limbo looking backdrop)
The Devil

Aside from that I have no idea what the actual story behind the album is, but it seemed absolutely epic/ridiculous.

My understanding has been that a paralyzed kid uses astral traveling to see stuff that he can't in physical form, but gets too close to the sun, burning away the golden rope connecting his spirit to his body, and then he gets sucked into a black hole which puts him in Rasputin's body as the revolution that results in his death is getting started, while his now empty body is assumed comatose/dead, and then Rasputin has to help him get back before he's declared dead. Something like that anyway, it's a little ridiculous.

Oh and add Meshuggah's Catch 33 to my list, just listened to it and as usual, they do a great job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: