ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Isn't Calculus just about the greatest thing ever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THABEAST721 wrote:
The next section, related rates, will become your best friend muahahaha!

If by best friend, you mean make me contemplate suicide when doing them, then yes, it will

I already despise word problems like this. Doing them this was just makes me hate them more.
ready2rock  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the notation, it's saying that you take the derivative times the change in that variable, so the derivative of x is 1*dx. so if you have y=x, taking the derivative of both sides gives you dy=dx. If you divide both sides by dx, you get dy/dx=1, so the derivative of x is 1. This means that whenever you take the derivative with respect to y, you can write a dy/dx after it and you don't have to write anything after the x terms. This signifies writing a dy and dx after each term and then dividing the whole thing by dx.

Now, the reason that you never needed to do it this way before is because the equations have always been solved for y for you, but, especially in story problems, things aren't always that nice. So, it's sometimes easier to take the derivative then solve for dy/dx.

Hopefully that makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, this came up a few pages ago. Basically implicit differentiation is just the chain rule on y. Also, here's what I said already about the Implicit Function Theorem

bclare wrote:
Shortcut for implicit differentiation (I'm not responsible if your teacher/professor doesn't accept this as work)

The Implicit Function Theorem

Set the equation as 0 = F(x,y)

then dy/dx = -(dF/dx) / (dF/dy)

ex: sin y = cos x
sin y - cos x = 0 = F(x,y)
dF/dx = 0 + sin x
dF/dy = cos y

so dy/dx = - sin x / cos y

Sarg338  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even know how to start a problem about Rates of Change... seriously, I look at the back of the book and have no fucking clue how they even get close to that answer. Like for this problem:

Code:
Sand Pouring from a chute forms a conical pile whose height is always equal to the diameter. If the height increases at a constant rate of 5 ft/min, at what rate is sand pouring from the chute when the pile is 10 ft high

Seriously, How do i even begin a problem like that? Still haven't seen a single practical use I will need to use for any of this.
ThunderShade  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
I don't even know how to start a problem about Rates of Change... seriously, I look at the back of the book and have no fucking clue how they even get close to that answer. Like for this problem:

Code:
Sand Pouring from a chute forms a conical pile whose height is always equal to the diameter. If the height increases at a constant rate of 5 ft/min, at what rate is sand pouring from the chute when the pile is 10 ft high

Seriously, How do i even begin a problem like that? Still haven't seen a single practical use I will need to use for any of this.

Look for as much information as possible. This is what I can find.
1. The shape of the sand will always be a cone.
2. The diameter is equal to the height.
3. The height increases at a constant rate of 5 ft/min.

First off, the shape of the sand is a cone (Point 1). Therefore the volume is given by V = pi*r^2*h/3. The diameter is equal to the height (Point 2) therefore d = h. d = 2r therefore 2r = h and thus r = h/2. Substituting this into the formula for volume gives V = pi*(h^2/4)*h/3 = pi*h^3/12. The question is asking for the rate at which the sand is pouring i.e. dV/dt. dV/dt = d/dt(pi*h^3/12) = (pi/12)*d/dt(h^3) = (pi/12)*3h^2*dh/dt (chain rule). We know that dh/dt = 5 (Point 3). Substituting this in gives dV/dt = (pi/12)*3h^2*5 = (5*pi/4)*h^2. The question wants dV/dt when h = 10. This gives dV/dt = (5*pi/4)*10^2 = 125*pi.

Last edited by ThunderShade on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderShade wrote:
The question is asking for the rate at which the sand is pouring i.e. dV/dt. dV/dt = d/dt(pi*h^3/12) = (pi/12)*d/dt(h^3) = (pi/12)*3h^2*dh/dt (chain rule).

Lost me here. Mind explaining it or something? Not sure where you got pi/12 at.

So far I'm at V(t) = pi*(h^3 / 12)
ThunderShade  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:

Just a small bit of re-organising.
V(t) = pi*(h^3)/12
= pi*(h^3)*(1/12)
= pi*(1/12)*(h^3)
= (pi/12)*(h^3)

Sarg338  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderShade wrote:
Sarg338 wrote:

Just a small bit of re-organising.
V(t) = pi*(h^3)/12
= pi*(h^3)*(1/12)
= pi*(1/12)*(h^3)
= (pi/12)*(h^3)

ah, ok gotcha.

Well, after todays class, the teacher did about 6 problems or so, and it made more sense now. Hopefully I'll be able to do the homework better now.
GlassDragon  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey anyone want to help me with some statistics?
So I get that the probability distribution function of a random variable X is:

f(x) = (3/16)x^2, for -c < x < c.

And I have to find c. So I integrate f(x) and get (1/16)x^3 taken from c to -c, which has to equal 1. So I get:

(1/16)c^3 - (1/16)(-c)^3 = (1/16)c^3 + (1/16)c^3 = (1/8)c^3

Set that equal to 1 and I get c = 2.

Am I correct in saying the distribution function is (1/8)x^3 for -2 < x < 2?

That would mean that the distribution function is negative for a negative x. Is that possible or did I do something wrong? I don't think probabilities are supposed to be negative.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let's take this one step at a time.

GlassDragon wrote:
Hey anyone want to help me with some statistics?
So I get that the probability distribution function of a random variable X is:

And I have to find c. So I integrate f(x) and get (1/16)x^3 taken from c to -c, which has to equal 1. So I get:

(1/16)c^3 - (1/16)(-c)^3 = (1/16)c^3 + (1/16)c^3 = (1/8)c^3

Set that equal to 1 and I get c = 2.

Yep, sounds right.

Quote:
Am I correct in saying the distribution function is (1/8)x^3 for -2 < x < 2?

Whoa whoa whoa. Let's just plug C = 2 into your original equation (don't want to sound patronizing, just emphasizing that)

Quote:
the probability distribution function of a random variable X is:

and we get

f(x) = (3/16)x^2, for -2 < x < 2

Because of the x^2 term, f(x) will always be positive, you can check that f(x) < 1, and the integral showed that the sum of probabilities = 1, so we're all set here.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can safely say related rates are getting tons easier to do and understand right now. I was able to do 8/10 problems on the homework (the 2 I couldn't figure out were also the 2 most of the class asked about as well, so that makes me feel a bit better). So I'm definitely getting it down, so thanks to everyone for helping me out with this.

It seems like every new math section goes like that. Learn it in class, try to do homework, can't, rage, then learn it right when we start a new section.

I also had the brief thought to have a minor in mathematics, as I thought that would look really good next to my computer science major. Not sure if I fully want to make that jump yet though.
killzonedout  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicking into infinite sequences and series, and damn... Calculus 1 and 2 made sense pretty much up until here. I don't even know where to start asking questions. :P

At least this is the last unit for the class, thank god.
bclare  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
I also had the brief thought to have a minor in mathematics, as I thought that would look really good next to my computer science major. Not sure if I fully want to make that jump yet though.

Depending on the school there's probably quite a bit of overlap between required classes, or at least electives, so that might not even be a whole lot more work to add that minor. I went to Boston University, and I know besides a lot of elective overlap they even have a Math/CS joint major (like a double major but it's only one major with courses in both subjects)
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
Sarg338 wrote:

Depending on the school there's probably quite a bit of overlap between required classes, or at least electives, so that might not even be a whole lot more work to add that minor. I went to Boston University, and I know besides a lot of elective overlap they even have a Math/CS joint major (like a double major but it's only one major with courses in both subjects)

Well, these are the math courses I would need for Comp Sci.

Code:
201. Analytics and Calculus I (5)
251. Analytics and Calculus II (5)
260. Discrete Mathematical Structures (3)
313. Linear Algebra (3)
318. Probability (3)

Can't seem to find any classes for Math Minors, only Majors.
THABEAST721  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
bclare wrote:
Sarg338 wrote:

Well, these are the math courses I would need for Comp Sci.

Code:
201. Analytics and Calculus I (5)
251. Analytics and Calculus II (5)
260. Discrete Mathematical Structures (3)
313. Linear Algebra (3)
318. Probability (3)

Can't seem to find any classes for Math Minors, only Majors.

Well chances are it won't be the same as WVU, but to get a minor in math up here, you need like through calculus 4, a class that like introduces you to proofs, and then 4 300 or higher level classes, and then either stats or discrete. That's not exactly what it is, but it's about what it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 22 of 46

Jump to: