ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Official Unofficial PC building thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urisma  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditch the CPU / MoBo combo. For the price of the 960 you can get the top of the line Sandy Bridge line. It'll benefit you wayyyy more, especially if you're in to overclocking. I've never considered sound cards very worthwhile unless you're really an audiophile, and have the headphones / speakers to match with a good one. Just my opinion. Motherboards all have built in sound which sounds fine (on my 10 year old speakers )
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the older days with the Athlon XP and the Pentium 4 era, and the games coming out to push the specs out, you needed every ounce of CPU you could get. A decent sound card would take enough load off of the CPU to get some performance.

However, with today's processors and all, its not worth to get a sound card unless you get a 5.1 true surround sound speakers to match with it. ^_^
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this:

Code:
Configuration
CPU: AMD Phenom™II X6 1090T Six-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+20]
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-870A-UD3 AMD 870/SB850 chipset support DDR3 Ultra Durable™3 Socket AM3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Audio, GBLAN, Support 6-core CPU, CPU Auto Unlocker, USB3.0, SATA-III, ON/OFF Charge for IPod, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 3 PCI
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+133] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

6-cores is a little overkill I think, but like it says, it was only $20 higher than the stock CPU they had on it, so why not. Actually built this on over at CyberPowerPC.

The only thing I'm not very confident on is the Motherboard. I'm not good at distinguishing what's good or not is the Motherboard.

This set up actually came up about $200 cheaper than the last one. And, of course, I actually wont be ordering anything until at least mid-summer, so I'll plug in any new technology that comes out and stuff like that.
Desertman123  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
How about this:

Code:
Configuration
CPU: AMD Phenom™II X6 1090T Six-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+20]
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-870A-UD3 AMD 870/SB850 chipset support DDR3 Ultra Durable™3 Socket AM3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Audio, GBLAN, Support 6-core CPU, CPU Auto Unlocker, USB3.0, SATA-III, ON/OFF Charge for IPod, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 3 PCI
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+133] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

6-cores is a little overkill I think, but like it says, it was only $20 higher than the stock CPU they had on it, so why not. Actually built this on over at CyberPowerPC.

The only thing I'm not very confident on is the Motherboard. I'm not good at distinguishing what's good or not is the Motherboard.

This set up actually came up about $200 cheaper than the last one. And, of course, I actually wont be ordering anything until at least mid-summer, so I'll plug in any new technology that comes out and stuff like that.

Dey maek guud motherboards. If you're not sure on something, look it up on newegg and look at the reviews.

6 cores is pretty future proof, and good for and CPU intensive game (GTAIV)
Xbox 360, Halo edition Jasper RGH1.2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Desertman123
Cyberwaste  

Location: Port Macquarie, the fine... planet of Australia. Chippy-chip-CHURRAH!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm finally going to get off my ass and do my first build... I'm keen to have it run things like Sony Vegas, the Adobe Creative Suite and some of the FPS games (mainly CoD and CSS because I'm afraid of things that are different. :3)

Anyway, the guts I'm considering:

CPU: Intel Q9450
(Yo)Motherboard: Intel Extreme DX38BT
Graphics Card: Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5770
RAM: Corsair CMP4GX3M2B1600C8 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
Power: Thermaltake EVO Blue 650W
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB WD10EALX
CD/DVD: Sony AD7240SGB 24X SATA DVDRW OEM

And an internal card reader. :P I'm also looking at this case. Looks sweet. A Thermaltake V6 BlacX Edition (with a HDD Dock, because I'm lazy. :P
---

How's it looking? What am I missing? I'm bound to have missed something, or be short when it comes to the power supply. I have a feeling I need 700, at least.

psxfreak101 wrote:
But seriously I hate this country when it comes to my beloved hobby of presing buttons on a controller and making shit on my TV follow my every command.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: iAmCyberwaste PSN Name: CyberwasteFX
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for the ATI 5830 instead of the 5770. Its a much better card for only a couple bucks more, they just hit the $150-$170 mark, like a month ago.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFFFFFFFUUUUUU- I need a better laptop. My laptop is so bad, it can't even run NFS Hot Pursuit at low settings. FML.
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the month I'm getting my 2nd 9600GT and installing the custom drivers to add SLI to my intel motherboard.

Portal 2 is going to look amazing.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
At the end of the month I'm getting my 2nd 9600GT and installing the custom drivers to add SLI to my intel motherboard.

/jealous. Build me a kickass computer. kthx.
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
Squirrel wrote:

I need Monies, and I can.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
Sarg338 wrote:
Squirrel wrote:

I need monies too. Needs summer job.
Desertman123  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
Squirrel wrote:
Sarg338 wrote:
Squirrel wrote:

I need monies too. Needs summer job.

I have monies, but mother won't let me buy my Phenom II x4.

/wrists

Last edited by Desertman123 on Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Desertman123
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the biggest difference between the i7 1366 and i7 1155 socket. i mean, they're dropping triple channel support, consume less power, has integrated video card, is there anything else ? im noit really sure i should go with an i7 2600k vs i7 960, they're both the same price.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabanon wrote:
whats the biggest difference between the i7 1366 and i7 1155 socket. i mean, they're dropping triple channel support, consume less power, has integrated video card, is there anything else ? im noit really sure i should go with an i7 2600k vs i7 960, they're both the same price.

The 2600k runs very cool, even on the stock heatsink. You can also save money by NOT buying triple channel RAM. Overclocking on the 2600k is so easy, your grandma can do it.

Oh yeah and here's some benchmarks for the 2600k compared to the 950 (close to the 960).
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-2600K+%40+3.40GHz
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking about going for the Sabertooth mobo, i really like the design. is this any good ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 5 of 25

Jump to: