ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
BobDole's Thread (Chimera bass FC, PB guitar choke -2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Rock Revolution
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobDole  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I've decided that I'm going to work on this game again. I have two goals: 1) to finish the on-disc FGFC and be the second (documented) person to do that and 2) to FC the remaining 6 DLC songs (none of which have ever been FCed by anybody)

Those who actually played this game will know that both of these goals are very lofty but I'm going to at least try to make some progress. My overall skill is definitely higher now than it was the last time I played this game.

The reason for this is that I recorded a medium FC of My Only Shining Star tonight for the purposes of putting it on my MP3 player (because the version in the game is apparently exclusive to Rock Revolution and impossible to find anywhere else), then I re-FCed it on expert immediately after doing this (note that I was playing an easier difficulty because I just wanted the audio and it's a tough expert FC; besides me preb is the only other person that has it). I also played Model DD8 and even though it was just as insane as I remember, I felt inspired to attempt it. I don't know how that will go, but I plan to work very hard on the song so we'll see. It's all strumming so it SHOULD all be learn-able, at least in theory. I mean none of the strumming is particularly fast, the rhythms/fret changes are just extremely tricky and it's clearly above the speed at which it would be reasonable to bullshit your way through with all downstrumming.

Note: While I was recording a capture card FC of My Only Shining Star on medium, I had tried on beginner first and failed to FC it about 5 times in a row due to the hilarious "shred boxes," which are basically the broken strumming notes from RB3. Actually they're slightly less broken, which I find fucking hilarious. Proof that the shred boxes mentioned on that one loading screen actually exist, though apparently only on the easiest difficulty.

PS: I am currently at that perfect level of drunkenness where I'm perfectly capable of faking sober and typing this message with no egregious grammatical/spelling errors, but feeling really good. I love this feeling.

Hobo111  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be really dedicated if you want a FGFC of a game this bad.
BobDole  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You must be really dedicated if you want a FGFC of a game this bad.

Not even gonna lie, I would LOVE to have a "Rock Revolution FGFC" banner and/or Model DD8/Cemetery Gates FC banners. Also I was reading through the old posts in the "what's been FCed" thread and I think it's both hilarious and sad that everybody stopped trying for Holy Wars after preb got it. I mean I'm not saying they should have kept grinding it if they didn't want to but it was just ridiculously obvious that those people were only doing it for the attention from getting the first FC/FGFC, and when that possibility disappeared, so did they. Whatever happened to intrinsic motivation?

Anyway, videos will be up in the next few days; I got 2 more FCs in my quest for the on-disc FGFC:

35. Highway Star
36. Kiss Me Deadly

I'll be honest, these were the two easiest ones left and they really weren't hard at all. The Highway Star solo is undercharted and not too bad but still kind of annoying due to the engine. Kiss Me Deadly's outro solo is really really fun.

I will continue working towards the on-disc FGFC as well as the remaining DLC FCs. Here's a little status report:

On-Disc (5 remaining):

--Chop Suey! (got a -2 on it today, not too hard just consistency issues with the riffs)
--Am I Evil? (FCed outside of one bullshit miss in the easy solo 2 triplets today, goddamn this weird engine)
--Pull Me Under (it has some tricky parts but thankfully they're all in the earlier parts of the song; overall the song gets easier as it goes on)
--Still of the Night (solo is annoying but obviously I can hit it; just need more consistency/a good run)
--Holy Wars...the Punishment Due (I'm working on my consistency with this)

DLC (6 remaining):

--Progressive Baby (just 5-starred this today; one very tough riff and tricky overall, but ultimately it just comes down to learning that riff and then consistency)
--No Pain, No Gain (riffs are kinda tricky, but the real hard part is the stupid grace notes in the solo; it's basically like a harder version of Herman's Solo II)
--Model DD8 (psychotic strumming throughout much of the song, but I've learned most of it and am building consistency/in the process of learning the rest; still far from the FC though)
--Cemetery Gates (solo is without a doubt the hardest hammer-on run in the game and probably would be even without the random strums; with the random strums its absolutely ridiculous though I have hope that I can learn it eventually)
--5 Minutes Alone (this song has an unbelievable amount of broken notes as documented by preb; since the chart itself is fairly easy I am actually planning to attempt this sometime in the coming week)
--I'm Broken (this is possibly un-FCable and it will still be pretty fucking hard even if somebody figures out how to combo the broken part; broken notes in fast solo = lame)

I can't help but feel like they put the random strums in the Cemetery Gates solo on purpose to prevent people from tapping it (which is bullshit by the way) and that broken notes were placed in the songs on purpose because they wanted to fuck with people and they knew that since the game sold so poorly, there would be no real backlash because not enough people would notice/care. I mean seriously...there's no broken notes in 41 on-disc songs but out of only 12 DLC songs, 5 have these weird invisible notes in them? Passing all broken notes off as accidental just doesn't add up to me. Oh yeah and you know what I just realized?

All of the Pantera songs have broken notes and there are no broken notes in any other songs.

Since the Pantera pack came last, after the free pack and the Bemani pack, I feel pretty confident now in supposing that they created these "broken" notes on purpose just to fuck with people trying to FC the songs, and even made one of them completely un-hittable just for good measure (the one in I'm Broken). I would be extremely interested in hearing a dev's response to this allegation...

If I find out that they intentionally made I'm Broken un-FCable as a pun on it's name, I'll either be really pissed or just accept a -1 in the un-hittable part as an "FC" and be done with it. I don't know, I'll see how I feel about it when/if that song ever becomes the sole remaining un-FCed song.

New progress:

Cemetery Gates Solo FC on 80%
Model DD8 Solo 1 FC on 80%

Both on video, both eventually being uploaded. Possibly as one video. We'll see.

Model DD8 was WAY harder to hit than Cemetery Gates, at least on that speed and not because of the length (there was only one part of Model DD8's solo that I was really struggling with the entire time). Also I got a -1 in the hard part of Cemetery Gates (with a dumb miss earlier otherwise it would have been a solo -1) on 90% speed. The rest of my 90% runs were pretty awful though. I'm going to work more on my muscle memory at 80% since that's a big factor in hitting it (you really need to know exactly where all of the random strums fall if you want any sort of consistency; I mean it's possible to fluke it by just strumming randomly while fingering correctly but that doesn't accomplish a whole lot in terms of practicing).

BobDole  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highway Star video is up. Kiss Me Deadly later today.

Also I got Pull Me Under, video of that probably tomorrow. I now have 4 songs left on-disc:

Chop Suey!
Still of the Night
Am I Evil?
Holy Wars...the Punishment Due

As far as DLC progress goes, the only thing new to report is that I will definitely be FCing Progressive Baby in the near future. I got a -4 on it today and I only played it once. No misses in the hard riff; I'm actually really consistent on that part now.

Also this is not really progress but No Pain, No Gain can happen if I get a little bit better at Herman II-style grace notes...the song is really easy outside of that.

Oh yeah and I hit that ridiculous part of Model DD8 solo 1 (the part that gave me hell on 80%) on full speed, in a real run no less. Fortunately it is possible to downstrum all of the strums (which I did) so that makes it a little bit less intimidating. That real run was also a new 1st place over my old score, something like 1.53 million. As far as misses go it was somewhere between -14 and -18 I think (probably one of those two numbers).

prebensoerensen  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey good progress man :)
I don't recommend going for a 5 minutes alone FC unless you really hate yourself (try playing one of the parts with more broken chords in a row in practice and you'll see what I mean)
I see you posting about broken notes and just wanted to say I am 99% sure that there are broken notes on on disc RR bass songs (remember a few on all my life i think) and that I am working on a bass FC breakdown thing (will edit it in my guitar breakdown thread when I finish)
I think going for bass FCs could be very fun since pretty much no one has played it nobody knows if some crazy ass broken chart will suddenly pop up and holy wars is legit harder than on guitar
Just my little idea on how to get more replay value out of this game
I hope you'll have fun finishing up the on disc guitar (maybe go for some 100% perfect scores? Closest I have so far is 2 goods on dirty little secret guitar with the score 905930)
edit: hey you beat my high on model dd8 :p I had 1457615 gonna practice it again now
BobDole  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey good progress man
I don't recommend going for a 5 minutes alone FC unless you really hate yourself (try playing one of the parts with more broken chords in a row in practice and you'll see what I mean)
I see you posting about broken notes and just wanted to say I am 99% sure that there are broken notes on on disc RR bass songs (remember a few on all my life i think) and that I am working on a bass FC breakdown thing (will edit it in my guitar breakdown thread when I finish)
I think going for bass FCs could be very fun since pretty much no one has played it nobody knows if some crazy ass broken chart will suddenly pop up and holy wars is legit harder than on guitar
Just my little idea on how to get more replay value out of this game
I hope you'll have fun finishing up the on disc guitar (maybe go for some 100% perfect scores? Closest I have so far is 2 goods on dirty little secret guitar with the score 905930)
edit: hey you beat my high on model dd8 :p I had 1457615 gonna practice it again now

Thanks! I actually do plan on going for a 5 Minutes Alone FC in the near future though I don't know how successful that will be...I honestly don't think I'm gonna get it (at least not very soon) because some of the sections (particularly chorus 2) were a bitch to hit in practice mode. I don't know about you but I REALLY hate the that has to be strummed . The three consecutive broken chords later followed by the broken is annoying too but I had a lot more trouble with the former.

A good technique I found for the consecutive chords was to start with a downstrum right before them, then reset the strumming with another downstrum and pretend like it's a 5-note strummed trill with the notes being roughly where the actual chords are in the chart and the notes being between them. I don't know if you've tried that but for me it works a lot better than just trying to go DU DU DU on them.

About bass...do you want to race to a FGFC of that? I think it would be kinda fun, even though I'm 99% positive that I'm not going to be able to FC Holy Wars (I just sightread it today...holy fuck that is hard). I was able to get some 200+ combos in the strumming riffs though so I guess it is remotely possible (I could at least try to improve my score). What is your high on that? I checked the online leaderboards and your score isn't up (I'm just assuming you have one that you got offline) and the top score was like 1.2 million (actually my sightread score is up there now; it's about 2.04 million). Anyway I'd be down for some bass; I think it would spice up the game a little bit. I have literally played no bass besides my Holy Wars sightread today so obviously I have 0 FCs right now.

EDIT: Actually I just noticed that you have a Holy Wars bass score up online but it's like 684k...there's no way that's your real score unless you only played it once and had a terrible sightread; you're a strumming god for christ sake.

I have considered going for perfect combos but the thing I don't like about that is that the game gives you pretty much no feedback on whether you got a perfect or a good once you get to an 8x multiplier. I mean I usually get a pretty decent percentage of perfects but I just don't see how I could get any more consistent at it to the point of actually getting any perfect combos since the game doesn't tell me when I fuck up and get a good. Do you have any suggestions as to how to consistently get perfects? Hell it's hard to even tell when you miss sometimes in this game...sometimes I'll be playing a song, get to a hard solo, play through it, then notice afterwards that my combo has dropped to double digits without me noticing. That's actually one of my biggest complaints with this game besides the whole broken notes thing, the lack of feedback.

Oh yeah, and just a general progress update directed at anybody who reads this:

5 Minutes Alone technical FC

I played all of the sections, not just the broken ones, but regardless you can clearly see me hitting all of the broken notes in that video (see the description for times where broken notes appear). Some of them were a LOT harder to hit than I thought they would be; that FC is going to be ridiculously hard to get.

No Pain, No Gain Solo 2 FC

Eh, this is pretty tough but it's also the only hard part of the song and it's a fun song to play, so I should get this soon. Not sure whether I'll get it before Progressive Baby or not, but I should get both of those FCs soon.

Getting started on bass FCs; progress below:

On-Disc:

1. All the Small Things
2. Bad Reputation
3. Diary of Jane
4. No One Like You
5. Pain
6. Magic Man
7. Our Truth
8. Dirty Little Secret
9. Youth Gone Wild
10. Given Up
11. Somebody Told Me
12. Run to the Hills
13. Last Resort
14. Round and Round
15. Kiss Me Deadly

DLC:

1. My Only Shining Star
2. I'm Broken
3. No Pain, No Gain

I'm feeling like it's easier to get perfects on strums since I've been doing unusually well with my perfect:good ratio on these bass FCs. Maybe I can actually get a perfect combo on bass. So far I've had a lot of single-digit numbers of goods; my best (ratio-wise) being 6 on My Only Shining Star with a 929 combo (that's only 0.6% goods).

Also I was pretty sure of this even within the first minute of my Holy Wars sightread, but now I'm 99.9% sure that bass has no HOPOs whatsoever. I've now FCed 18 songs total and I've yet to see even one. I guess that's what they think distinguishes bass from guitar. I'm not gonna lie, it's kind of annoying, but it does make for some interesting challenges as well (such as Holy Wars).

Oh and preb you were right about broken notes on disc for bass...you may have already found some or all of these but I'll document everything I find anyway.

Broken notes on bass:

No One Like You: Chorus 3--the first immediately after the second hold must be strummed twice

Just for kicks, songs that are definitely harder on bass than guitar:

--Holy Wars (this alone makes the bass FGFC harder than guitar; if you're wondering why this is so, just play it, you'll see)
--Youth Gone Wild (this is really really fun on bass; has a OBY zigzag fill thingy that recurs very often and is all strums just like everything else on bass)

Best bass FC so far: Youth Gone Wild

Random notes:

--I'm Broken may be ridiculous/possibly unFCable on guitar, but it's easy as fuck on bass.

--Run to the Hills is hilarious on bass. Most people who are looking at this are probably aware of the LOL drum chart for this song...well that's pretty much what they did to bass. Not a single gallop in the chart. It's really funny because you can very clearly hear the cover bassist playing the gallops while you're sitting there chugging along with straight 8ths.

--No Pain, No Gain and My Only Shining Star were fun. Basically the guitar parts without the solos. I think No Pain, No Gain's riffs were actually more fun with the strums.

--Played Holy Wars bass two more times and increased my high score to 2.08 million.

Also I have all of the bass FCs I got tonight recorded with my capture card. Should I post these chart videos? I feel like you probably can't find most of them anywhere so that might be a good idea.
prebensoerensen  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure lets race to bass I'll start after dinner as the sun is right outside my window atm
I play offline mostly which doesn't upload to the leaderboards
Holy Wars bass high should be about 2,28 mil 97%
I don't have any tips for perfects it's hard
She's the Bug bass should have plenty of hopos
BobDole  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Eh, I'll edit this again; no point in a new post since this is still the newest post in the entire subforum. Just a few more FCs anyway; got 6 more on-disc FCs and the rest of the Pantera pack on bass. Only two broken notes in the whole pack (one in Mouth for War and one in 5 Minutes Alone) so obviously this is a lot easier than guitar. Hardest Pantera song on bass is This Love, which is funny since that's the only one that's easy on guitar. Also another broken note discovered in 5 Minutes Alone (big surprise) in addition to the one found in Mouth for War (details on those farther down).

Bass progress (full list will be in OP):

On-disc:

16. Dr. Feelgood
17. The Joker and the Thief
18. Highway Star
19. Blitzkrieg Bop
20. Falling Away From Me
21. Detroit Rock City
22. Heading Out to the Highway
23. Dance Dance
24. Won't Get Fooled Again
25. Are You Gonna Be My Girl
26. Sk8er Boi
27. Cum on Feel the Noize

DLC:

4. Mouth for War
5. Cemetery Gates
6. This Love
7. 5 Minutes Alone

Random notes:

--I played She's the Bug and it indeed has HOPOs on bass...it also has chords, which I just realized I haven't seen in any other bass song yet. Too bad the HOPOs actually make it harder.

--Progressive Baby is really fun on bass; probably about the same difficulty as the guitar (maybe a little easier). My best so far is a -3 with 1.54 million.

--Model DD8 bass is the shit too; I was able to 5-star it after 2 runs with 1.64 million. I also somehow hit the hardest part of it on that 5-star run (the RY trill).

--Forgot to mention this last night but Run to the Hills was the first bass song I've FCed with over 1000 notes.

--Shred boxes aren't just for the easier difficulties...Highway Star expert bass has one in the outro. It's the weird looking orange note. I don't know exactly how fast you have to strum to combo these but I just alt-strummed it at like 11-12 NPS and comboed it just fine. I have concluded from this and various other weird things that there are no rules in Rock Revolution, only trends.

--Speaking of Highway Star, it's pretty tricky if you try to alt-strum through it all, but thankfully it's slow enough to easily downstrum the whole song, which makes it a lot easier.

--Highway Star has (so far) by far the highest bass note count at 1757.

--Mouth for War bass has a single chord in the guitar solo and a chord a little bit later (it's in the Middle Eight section) that is broken and must be strummed . An interesting broken note to say the least; took me a few minutes to figure it out. The strum is later then with most broken notes; you have to strum it like right on where the chord is then strum the a little past it. Both the and the register as holds, which is odd but not unexpected since the broken itself is a hold. I think it might actually be an extended sustain (these exist in Rock Revolution; for anyone who hasn't seen one go play This Love on guitar) since if you play only the it will sustain throughout the entire chord, far past where you have to strum the in order to keep your combo.

--Detroit Rock City bass isn't as fun or difficult as you would expect; it's pretty undercharted. The only kinda tricky part is the part.

--Cemetery Gates bass has several chords (they're all in the same spot though) and one each of (during the hard guitar solo) and (the last note of the song) chords.

--This Love has a pretty intense riff in the middle somewhere where you have to alt-strum (or downstrum very fast; I alt-strummed it all) with fret changes going all the way up and down the fretboard. It also has a single HOPO, a very strangely placed note that is quite from the note before it (which I believe was a hold, could be mistaken though). A have no idea why that one note is a HOPO and it would feel very weird to actually use said HOPO since it's so far away from the previous note. Anyway, I somehow got this FC on sightread and it's probably my best bass FC so far.

--5 Minutes Alone has one broken note on bass: in the guitar solo, the fourth note has to be strummed twice. Wasn't at all surprised to find a broken note in this bass part considering how many broken notes are in the guitar part (though broken notes on guitar and on bass don't seem to be correlated at all) but thankfully it isn't a hard note to hit at all and it's only one.

--5 Minutes Alone itself is somewhat tricky on bass in the bridges, but it's all easily downstrummable, making it much easier than it would be otherwise. Also the chart goes out of sync after the guitar solo. I thought this was just a random glitch on my sightread, but it happened again in my FC run and it was exactly the same as before (as in it went out of sync at the same place and was off by the same amount). This doesn't really make the song any harder but it does make the last sections somewhat uncomfortable to play.

--Oh yeah and 5 Minutes Alone bass had one random chord. I guess there are several songs on bass with chords though they do seem to be quite rare and are usually very sparse when they do appear.
BobDole  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK new post, other one's getting too big.

More bass progress:

On-disc:

28. Spoonman
29. We're Not Gonna Take It
30. Paralyzer
31. White Room
32. The End of Heartache
33. Stone Cold Crazy

DLC:

8. Death Real
9. Chimera

Video of Chimera bass FC coming later; it's probably my best bass FC so far. Has a semi-fast all-strummed BO trill near the end.

Oh and Chop Suey! is annoying as fuck on bass...the verses are pretty much like Take This Life but a lot worse. I mean it's pretty much the same thing, just that it's a hell of a lot harder to combo it in this engine as opposed to the ridiculously easy GH3 engine. Probably the hardest on-disc bass song I've seen so far outside of Holy Wars.

Also, Progressive Baby guitar can suck a dick; after a really REALLY horrible choke I couldn't even get to the hard part (which for me is the riff right before the "hard" riff, which I find fairly easy now) at all. I'm actually really mad about this because I fucking deserved the FC on the other run (which was a -2); the miss was COMPLETE bullshit and I didn't even notice until I looked down and saw my combo at like 40 instead of 999. I would upload the video of this but I deleted it because I figured I'd get the FC soon afterwards anyway. Turns out I underestimated the song a little...still, I WILL fucking FC this.

nunovanhalen023  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great progress, you're so close! I can't wait to see more guitar and bass fcs.
BobDole  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may seem stupid, but because I'm doing it in my Guitar Hero and Rock Band threads, I want to list my non-FCs over here too. The reason it's stupid is because I don't have any actual accomplishments to report...but nevertheless, I didn't want to leave this thread out of the fun of commenting on songs I suck at. Here we go:

Rock Revolution (4 songs)

Chop Suey!
Still of the Night
Am I Evil?
Holy Wars...The Punishment Due

No Chop Suey!, really? It's probably much harder here than on RB2 due to the crappy engine but still...I don't really feel like playing this game at the moment, but if I ever do again, I will hopefully be able to get the FGFC.

Rock Revolution DLC (6 songs)

No Pain, No Gain
Model DD8
Progressive Baby
5 Minutes Alone
Cemetery Gates
I'm Broken

"I WILL fucking FC this [Progressive Baby]." Apparently not. I don't think I've tried it again since that grind, which I remember as being very frustrating. I see that all 3 Pantera songs I have listed here have still never been done. I'm Broken is basically impossible and 5 Minutes Alone is ridiculously stupid, but I'm kind of surprised that nobody has knocked off Cemetery Gates yet. It's not broken at all, it's just really hard (that's not to say the chart isn't stupid because it is). Maybe I should go back and try 5 Minutes Alone again...that idea is actually more appealing to me than working on the on-disc songs. Not just because it hasn't been done, but because I guess some part of me likes finding ways to FC broken/stupid charts. It can be frustrating, but it's also a good mental challenge and doesn't necessarily require extreme amounts of physical skill.

nunovanhalen023  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abyssion recently fc'd the solo in Cemetery Gates (on vid, too) but he's on hiatus now. I may license transfer with BOD soon so he can probably take care of that one easily.

I would advise that if you do come back to this game, you could work on 5 Minutes Alone. I remember playing around with it a little and discovering that some of its broken notes were easier to hit on different calibrations, so you might wanna document those and find some sort of compromise calibration that would be best for the full song.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Rock Revolution All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: