ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guitar Hero to be Rebooted; DJ Hero made GH Die
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ComicBookGuru  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TensionSpree wrote:
What would a reboot entail for Guitar Hero? For most franchises a reboot means resetting the story and starting over fresh (basically, just to retell it in sometimes different wording).

Exactly. If he expects to put out another Guitar Hero and just call it "Guitar Hero", then expect magic sales, he's shit out of luck.
ShiftBreaker  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reboot? What, like...starting from scratch? Everything that's happened is irrelevant? The part of me that's taking this literally is wondering whether they'll just ignore all their work with Neversoft and the entire song library we've got so far, and start anew.

Of course, activision can't be this stupid. Right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Activision is stupid, but they know how much money they're throwing away if they cut off support for all existing music that they paid for to get licensed. My guess is that he just means building the GH interface and experience from scratch, ala GH3, and hoping that some of that magic happens again.

How Awesome GHWoR Is wrote:
Yeah they were. It's amazing how I had an almost naked lady rubbing her boobs on my head (I'm the drummer in the video) and I was like "Hey GTFO I'm trying to play".
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not place too much emphasis on the specific term "reboot", as it was paraphrased by IGN and not a direct quote from Kotick. He may have been saying they plan to do another GH game, and IGN turned this into "rebooting the franchise."
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty obvious that DJ Hero wasn't the only factor, but I'm glad to see that talk of GH is coming back. I'm fine with the loss of DJ Hero also. Was never something I enjoyed and it certainly wasn't selling well enough to warrant having if it took away from GH.

I'm certainly not hoping for a Reboot though. Perhaps some changes to the ideas of the story, characters, and other things, but I don't want to see the series go back to Smoke on the Water and Iron Man or anything like that. One or two songs, but I'd really like if they could continue to utilize what is playable in Warriors of Rock if they keep the engine the same, which I thought was perfect.
ComicBookGuru  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Activision would be wise to stay away from WoR's style. Obviously it didn't garner them any sales...

(Opinion)
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think that they'll go back to just one instrument again? I mean, it is a "reboot" after all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregoryZero wrote:
Do you think that they'll go back to just one instrument again? I mean, it is a "reboot" after all.

I certainly hope so. I raised this point in the other thread; GH should keep the classic gameplay and go back to guitar, but it needs to move on and evolve to the new standards of the genre set by Rocksmith and Rock Band 3.

EDIT: Hero Feed has the whole shebang on it, better info than IGN. So maybe not "reboot", "reinvent".

Quote:
So Guitar Hero has had enormous success –we didn’t start the company that made Guitar Hero, we bought it after it started, it put the first one in the marketplace. We had a view that this was something that had much more broad appeal, and that because it’s a manufactured product, being efficient in the supply chain could get the manufacturing costs down. We thought our relationships with the music companies would be more valuable than a small startup company could ever develop on their own. So we bought the company, and after a few iterations of the game it became one of the most successful games of all time.

And then we didn’t really take the time that we usually take to understand audience behavior. It was one of those things where we were resting on the idea that one of the essential fantasies of video games is to unleash your inner rock star. And it didn’t really matter how you did that, but as long as you were allowing people to unleash their inner rock star fantasies, you’d continue to be successful. So we went off on a passion project that had a point of differentiation –which is called DJ Hero.

And in hindsight, if you step back –and it really would have been a simple thing to do– we should have said, ‘Well, how many people really want to unleash their inner DJ?’ And then out of the people who do want to unleash their inner DJ, how many want to do it in the context of a game where you earn points, versus just taking a DJ deck or tools on their Macintosh and actually being a DJ? And it turns out it’s a very small market.

But we created this critically acclaimed, highly rated game –and these are the hardest failures, when you put your heart and soul into it and you deliver an extraordinarily well received game, and nobody shows up to buy it. So that’s what happened with DJ Hero. At the same time we were so excited about going down this new direction with DJ Hero, I think we abandoned a bit of the innovation that was required in the Guitar Hero franchise.

And so it was the double whammy of DJ Hero was unsuccessful, and then Guitar Hero became unsuccessful because it didn’t have any nourishment and care. So we made what I think was exactly the right decision last year. We said you know what, we need to regain our audience interest, and we really need to deliver inspired innovation. So we’re going to take the products out of the market, and we’re not going to tell anybody what we’re doing for awhile, but we’re going to stop selling Guitar Hero altogether. And then we’re going to go back to the studios and we’re going to use new studios and reinvent Guitar Hero. And so that’s what we’re doing with it now.

the case of Guitar Hero, we did the research and it was very clear people didn’t want more 80s heavy metal music. But what they wanted was very difficult for us to get from the music companies. I’ll give you an example: The number one thing that our audiences wanted in Guitar Hero was Led Zeppelin. But we couldn’t get Led Zeppelin to consent to give us the rights. And there were a lot of instances of that, a whole host of artists who just didn’t want to give rights to Guitar Hero, and it was hard to get around that. And then there were other things… we put things out there that were not ready for prime time and that today actually would resonate very well with audiences.

jdamillio  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, i think this new GH game is going to be their biggest failure. look at GH:WoR; everywhere i go (mostly on here), i see how people think it's such an amazing game. but then you look at the sales. i believe WoR only sold 100,000 copies (i'm 65% sure on this, it's blurry in my memory), and that is terrible for a franchise like GH. maybe someone else feels the same way, but i just feel like GH had their spotlight back then, and there's no way possible to get it back now. i don't think i've ever seen a game that crashed so bad, and made a long comeback to make one of the best selling games. guitar hero was at the right place, at the right time. the right people were around, everything clicked together at the perfect time. but that was years ago, it can't just happen like *that*. hopefully someone can understand where i'm coming from.

First ever TTFAF FC with 3 Fingers, 8/19/10 - Never Forget

GH3X: 9th Place - 69/70 FCs (One)
- Youtube: joedamillio
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: joedamillio
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it'll never hit the peak it did. I don't think that's possible, no matter how innovative the series could become. Then again, I think companies need to look at games, especially companies like Activision, to try and come up with a game, that could possibly do well, but won't be making Call of Duty money. Every game can't break records. I know I'm expecting alot out of a company like Activision, but it feels to me, that if a game isn't selling over a million copies, it's not doing well at all to the company.

And I was bringing up WoR, more for the engine and how it played. I thought it was perfect. Sure, I thought the game was great, probably the best, I understand it wasn't mainstream enough to bring in people, but I don't think working to make it as popular as possible will matter in the end. Just keep the balance between the popular and the more interesting stuff and hope for the best.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that might help would be to have one disc release per year max, and supplement with DLC, and have one primary collaborative and one primary competitive mode for on-line play. Funnel the player pool into a small enough number of channels that you can have some sense of community even if the sales numbers aren't amazing anymore.

About instruments, not sure. I don't get the impression that GH ever took off as a band party game the way RB did. If that's the case, maybe instead of trying to beat RB at being RB, they should beat them at being GH, and simplify accordingly. Then again they have all this IP now, could be a waste to toss it. If they're going to add anything on top of plastic guitar, the real guitar bandwagon might make more sense than non-guitar instruments, although that's becoming a crowded space.
TensionSpree  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to help would be more band-friendly songs. GH may be a band game now, but so many of the songs tailor to one specific instrument (Sudden Death or Do You Feel Like We Do? on Guitar are both excellent examples) in terms of fun as opposed to the whole band.

GH:RHCP would've been great for this, if it had all RHCP songs, I think.

Recent FCs: Man In The Box (Guitar)

Will not remove this in my signature until "Unholy Confessions" by Avenged Sevenfold is added to Rock Band DLC.
Started: July 31st, 2010
Still don't wanna remove it! Happy it's here, though!
ComicBookGuru  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdamillio wrote:
honestly, i think this new GH game is going to be their biggest failure. look at GH:WoR; everywhere i go (mostly on here)

Don't take this the wrong way: I love the music in GHWoR. But the thing is, the Quest mode, the aesthetics, the story, were awful. And it's a clear indication (though we do have to factor in the genre decline) that people didn't want that, because it sold pretty badly. You could argue that RB3 didn't sell too well either, but it's still sitting nicely on top of Guitar Hero.

Making a Warriors 2 is not going to happen. Guitar Hero needs to innovate in a meaningful way, while staying in a manner that's approachable to everyone. And I hate to sound like a Rock Band fanboy, but the way Rock Band does it is perfect- it has the slightest amount of humor, it makes you feel like a rockstar, and it feels classy.

And this is really, really just me (I'm probably the only one who thinks this), but GHWoR kind of reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever- it just looks and feels juvenile compared to the games it's competing against.

/rant that could be taken the wrong way
TensionSpree  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You could argue that RB3 didn't sell too well either, but it's still sitting nicely on top of Guitar Hero.

If we start using sales figures, RB3 stomped all over WOR as in it's first 5 days it sold over 2x more than WOR did in one week (and is still going fairly strong factoring in the decline in sales... RB3 is bringing HMX more than enough dough to stay afloat and keep giving DLC and stuff).

Music games shouldn't actually try to have a story. Brutal Legend was an exception, but that's more of an action game with a lot of music-related stuff.

The above poster was right how Rock Band does the story aspect well - you tour around the world starting in your home town, and as you progress, you get more money for more vehicles which let you tour more (the life of a rock star starting out, essentially) with some funny cutscenes here and there (a few of the RB3 ones depict the band getting wasted beyond wits end, and even doing psychedelics).

In a nutshell, here is what I think would help GH:
- Don't try for a story mode much. Subtle approaches similar to how RB does it can help, it doesn't have to be a clone but something similar.
- Decide whether or not it's a hardcore or casual game. A few of the GHs nowadays have songs that are too hard for a casual gamer, but don't bring enough challenge for you hardcore guys (Do You Feel Like We Do?).
- Less 00s stuff. I'm not saying eliminate it entirely, but it feels like GH has less and less recognizable artists every game.
- More 80s for sure, 70s would be nice too. Variety helps a lot.
- More band-friendly songs as said in a previous post.

Recent FCs: Man In The Box (Guitar)

Will not remove this in my signature until "Unholy Confessions" by Avenged Sevenfold is added to Rock Band DLC.
Started: July 31st, 2010
Still don't wanna remove it! Happy it's here, though!
Benster26  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rhythm genre is dead outside of this little tight community we have here, people got bored of the concept pretty much when ghwt came out. All of my friends had gh2,3 and 4 yet I'm the only one with ghwor.

I know for a fact the despite this I'll buy and most probably play the game if it ever does came out, but I doubt that I'll ever have the fun that I did when I first got gh3. Even towards the end of gh3. Its no longer a novelty to people, everyones played and the few of us who wanted to get much better and further enjoy the game kept on playing even though most of us will never enjoy the game as much as we previously had.

And to be quite honest I cant see the genre ever coming back to its peak, heck probably wont sell any better than warriors of rock. Apart from people from sh/ the community, which is seemingly getting smaller by the day, and people outside of that arent going to get the game because the chances are that anyone who is at all interested had played the game to the point that its lost its main appeal, 'omg I'm playing guitar this is so coool'. Which, to the majority of people is why this game can be so damn fun.

Unless activision can get the novelty factor back with out introducing some bizarre plastic instrement, then... well, the genre is dead.

Sorry if I'm coming as some pessimistic asshole, but its just how I see it panning out.

Back on the 11th!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: