Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
2012 GOLDEN GODS / XBOX LIVE - 04/11/12
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, as usual it was merely a popularity contest rather than an actual ode to talent.

BVB winning best guitarist, Nikki Six winning best bassist, and Jeremy Spencer winning best drummer still just makes me shake my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWaA9dLj6VU
vs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igDSyZMy8_E&feature=related

(Ok, admittedly nothing Harrison released last year qualifies as hard rock or metal. But still, Spencer is trying so damn hard to be Mike Portnoy, the only problem is that he isn't anywhere near the technical chops that Portnoy has).
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
CloudFuel  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am by no means a BVB die-hard, but those guys can play their asses off. I've seen their live show (via tv and youtube) plus listened to both of their cds extensively and definitely feel like they deserved to be included in the nominations (no matter how much people may hate them). If they are in the noms they are pretty much guaranteed to win with that rabid fanbase of theirs.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CloudFuel PSN Name: Cloud_Fuel Wii Friend Code: 4265622918614549
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they have technical chops, but so far I've seen them do nothing but generic metalcore riffing, with generic rhythmic breakdowns and tapping and arpeggio solos you can only find in about 1,000 other bands.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
CloudFuel  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
Yes they have technical chops, but so far I've seen them do nothing but generic metalcore riffing, with generic rhythmic breakdowns and tapping and arpeggio solos you can only find in about 1,000 other bands.

1,000? Is that hyperbole? I know I'm missing out on a few bands out there, but I can't imagine 1,000 bands put out a cd in 2011-2012 that had the same quality (or better) guitar work that BVB put out. I'm sure there are a few, but not that many, lol.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CloudFuel PSN Name: Cloud_Fuel Wii Friend Code: 4265622918614549
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't just speaking in terms of last year, that was more in general. Repeated arpeggios, sweep picking and tapping has been the hallmark of metal solos for the past decade or so, it's hardly anything new and what they do there are guitarists out there who can do far better.
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
That wasn't just speaking in terms of last year, that was more in general. Repeated arpeggios, sweep picking and tapping has been the hallmark of metal solos for the past decade or so, it's hardly anything new and what they do there are guitarists out there who can do far better.

This is true with every single genre, technique, and even music in general though. Even though some have been repeated more than others, it's next to impossible to come up with "original" content nowadays.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregoryZero wrote:
Nubnut wrote:

This is true with every single genre, technique, and even music in general though. Even though some have been repeated more than others, it's next to impossible to come up with "original" content nowadays.

I wouldn't say next to impossible, it's hard yes. But you could at least do something different and do a throwback to obscure old music (ala. Opeth with Heritage). Actually come to think of it why the hell isn't Opeth nominated in any category whatsoever?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q-zWf_Xg3s

That's hands down one of the best drum performances I've ever seen period, let alone just counting last year.
Carltheshredder  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really just wanted to watch Pantera's new song/music video but i ended up watching more and man do i regret it. its like they purposely give the awards to the people i dislike the most and feel should not win, due to lack of talent compared to other nominees or just out of personal preference. this is really also the reason i basically never watch shows like these.

But on a happier note, I was extremely pleased with the Pantera song.

P.S. Fuck you Chris Jericho
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: