ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guitar Hero Vocals Pathing Guide (5, WoR, Band Hero)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think13  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Guitar Hero Vocals Pathing Guide (5, WoR, Band Hero) Reply with quote

This is my vocal pathing guide for the new vocals engine included in Guitar Hero 5 and Warriors of Rock. The goal of this guide is to share what I've learned about pathing. I believe this is an important skill because there are a lot of missing paths out there and not enough people are working on them.

I am a top ten vocalist in Guitar Hero and have 5 expert vocals FGFCs (and counting). Disclaimer: I have only played on the Wii versions of these games, and have not played Band Hero at all.

Scoring
The goal of pathing is to maximize our score, so first we must understand how the scoring system works. Phrases are scored proportional to their length. This refers to time singing, not real time (a long held note is worth more than a lot of stacatto words). At x4 multiplier, phrases can range in score from about 500 to about 10,000 points based on their length. Points are only given at the end of phrases. If your star power runs out before the end of a phrase, the entire thing is scored at x4 instead of x8. This is why you almost always want to activate at the very end of phrases.

Pathing
Because there aren't any good charts for vocals (at least I haven't found them), pathing takes a good deal of experimentation. I try to make educated guesses based on my experience, but I usually end up trying 3-4 different paths before I find the best one. Almost all activations will involve getting 2 or 3 star power phrases before activating. Getting any more than 3 overflows your star power meter and is just a waste.

For my first run-through, I usually try always activating on the next phrase after 2 star power phrases, unless it is obvious that it is incorrect. Note the long phrases in the song - oftentimes the path depends on having SP for one or two long phrases. Also note the number of star power phrases and their positions. The correct path will almost never have any star power left over at the end. After this, simply shift your activations around and compare your scores to each other until you are satisfied. One thing you can do at this stage is to compare scores at different pauses (e.g. long guitar solos in the middle of the song). This can be helpful when comparing paths so you don't have to play through the whole song. However, this isn't useful if you have star power during the solo in one path, but you don't in the other. The star power represents future points, so the scores aren't comparable at that point.

Caveat
Since you can get varying amounts of star power based on how well you sing, some squeezes are impossible if you don't hit an entire star power phrase. This means you can miss a lot of points even if you have the right path - you can even get less points using the optimal path than using a different one. The takeaway is that the optimal path always assumes that you get the full amount of SP for each phrase.

Terminology
NN - Next note(phrase). Activate at the end of the next phrase.
sk# - Skip the designated number of phrases before activating (ex. sk1, sk3).
Squeeze - Activate as late as possible because the last phrase ends almost exactly when your star power runs out.
(#) - The number in parentheses is the number of additional star power phrases you get during the activation.

I hope my guide is helpful, and please let me know if there is any information missing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vocals charts for GHWoR, and some of GH5 and BH can be found at Ruby Dangers forums

http://guitarhero.thegamereviews.com/forums/index.php?action=scoretracker_rb&sa=PL

you need to sign up to be able to get them
think13  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link is excellent, thanks!
I have found better paths for some of the songs (Bloodlines and Aqualung so far), but the charts are great.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks think13! this answers a bunch of questions i've had about figuring out my paths in gh WoR ^^

one question about your caveat section...
are you saying that if a sp phrase has, for example, 10 words....and you only completely pitch 9 of the words (still getting excellent)...are you saying that you will get a smaller amount of sp than if you had perfectly hit all 10 words?

one other question i've had since i started vocals on gh WoR...
in the same scenario... does hitting only 9/10 words in (any) phrase give you slightly less points than hitting the phrase perfectly?
when glancing at my score during songs that seems to be the case but i cant tell for sure...

thanks for the great guide and i hope my questions make sense ^^
Lupo13  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^To both of your questions: Yes, you'll get more sp and more points for filling the pipe of a phrase even more after getting the Excellent.

Ciao!

ki11me  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks lupo13!

one other thing sorry...

is the pathing much different for other gh games besides WoR , 5, BH ?
if so is there a guide on the forum ? (i couldnt find it TT)

i am going to fc gh6 soon and I want to go to metallica next, i am curious if i need to use a different pathing approach for ghm and ghwt
Lupo13  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^For the games of the World Tour era (WT, SH, Metallica & VH) the pathing is much different, as you get sp in every phraseyou hit without the sp activated: 10% for a Solid and 25% for an excellent, so you'll have to learn another completely different way of pathing with this games.

Ciao!

Snagglepuice  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Guitar Hero Vocals Pathing Guide (5, WoR, Band Hero) Reply with quote

think13 wrote:
This is my vocal pathing guide for the new vocals engine included in Guitar Hero 5 and Warriors of Rock. The goal of this guide is to share what I've learned about pathing. I believe this is an important skill because there are a lot of missing paths out there and not enough people are working on them.

I am a top ten vocalist in Guitar Hero and have 5 expert vocals FGFCs (and counting). Disclaimer: I have only played on the Wii versions of these games, and have not played Band Hero at all.

Scoring
The goal of pathing is to maximize our score, so first we must understand how the scoring system works. Phrases are scored proportional to their length. This refers to time singing, not real time (a long held note is worth more than a lot of stacatto words). At x4 multiplier, phrases can range in score from about 500 to about 10,000 points based on their length. Points are only given at the end of phrases. If your star power runs out before the end of a phrase, the entire thing is scored at x4 instead of x8. This is why you almost always want to activate at the very end of phrases.

Pathing
Because there aren't any good charts for vocals (at least I haven't found them), pathing takes a good deal of experimentation. I try to make educated guesses based on my experience, but I usually end up trying 3-4 different paths before I find the best one. Almost all activations will involve getting 2 or 3 star power phrases before activating. Getting any more than 3 overflows your star power meter and is just a waste.

For my first run-through, I usually try always activating on the next phrase after 2 star power phrases, unless it is obvious that it is incorrect. Note the long phrases in the song - oftentimes the path depends on having SP for one or two long phrases. Also note the number of star power phrases and their positions. The correct path will almost never have any star power left over at the end. After this, simply shift your activations around and compare your scores to each other until you are satisfied. One thing you can do at this stage is to compare scores at different pauses (e.g. long guitar solos in the middle of the song). This can be helpful when comparing paths so you don't have to play through the whole song. However, this isn't useful if you have star power during the solo in one path, but you don't in the other. The star power represents future points, so the scores aren't comparable at that point.

Caveat
Since you can get varying amounts of star power based on how well you sing, some squeezes are impossible if you don't hit an entire star power phrase. This means you can miss a lot of points even if you have the right path - you can even get less points using the optimal path than using a different one. The takeaway is that the optimal path always assumes that you get the full amount of SP for each phrase.

Terminology
NN - Next note(phrase). Activate at the end of the next phrase.
sk# - Skip the designated number of phrases before activating (ex. sk1, sk3).
Squeeze - Activate as late as possible because the last phrase ends almost exactly when your star power runs out.
(#) - The number in parentheses is the number of additional star power phrases you get during the activation.

I hope my guide is helpful, and please let me know if there is any information missing.

im kinda new to the online gamer terms and pathing etc, i jus play the game and calculate in my head, what does fgfcs mean, i have (9) first place scores on vocals worldy, and several at rank 2 and 3, and under 10, are the 1st place records fgfcs?

I beat gh2, gh3, world tour, gh5, 80s, smash hits, metallica, band hero, and rock band 1 all on expert, i didnt like rockband 2 or 3, picked up my first mic when i bought the kit for rockband and tried the kill by 30 seconds to mars, and got 100% first try and it ranked me 8th in the world, i was shocked.
So i been doin vocals mostly since then, i can do expert bass and guitar tho and some expert drum, but vocal was my calling, anyways id like to learn any tricks u know, i jus started playin again. I went ahead and took first place vocals worldly soon as i saw 30 seconds - the kill was on my GH:WOR playlist, so is that a fgfcs? and whats this pathing stuff, im guessin its a map of the song, and shows u best places to hit star powers etc?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: