ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Looking back on the GH series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fug  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 and 2 were amazing.

FACT: 3 was shit.

I don't understand why WT is always labeled as the Nickelback of GH. Sliders are easy to learn, bar Satch. Everything else about the engine is amazing.

M wasn't that great, SH had lolable charting, VH engine is more fucked up than the WBC.

80s was great, but had too short of a setlist. A was abyssmal and should be considered the Nickelback of GH.

5's engine is laughable, but mad fun to abuse. Setlist is still a mystery to me because almost every song is some random-ass song I'd never heard before the game.

WoR was pretty shitty. Engine is crap and setlist was very meh.

1=2 > everything else > 3=A

Accomplishment Thread - Nothing new... lol. | Youtube | S11 - GH2X Squeedlies Champion!
OcosnTyrantis  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've played...

1st. GH3
2nd. GH6
3rd. GH2
4th. GH5
5th. BH
6th. GH:GH
7th: GH4

Fug wrote:
VH engine is more fucked up than the WBC.

That is the greatest line that I have ever had the pleasure to enter my eyes.
expertwin  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wasn't easy to make, and I could disagree with this later.

Guitar Hero 3- Whenever I play a GH game, I often end up playing this.
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock- It has a great setlist and engine.
Guitar Hero Aerosmith- It's soundtrack is awesome, and I like this engine.
Guitar Hero: World Tour: Great setlist.
Band Hero Not that bad.
Guitar Hero 5
Guitar Hero: Metallica
Guitar Hero: Van Halen: NOTE: This is not bad. I just don't like it as much as the others.
2015/09/20 The date I became Free Bird #200

@ataeaf=My Twitter. RB Accomps. GH Accomps. Nobody reads them.
voidedalive2x wrote:
of COURSE it's doable, you ninny! Don't you cop out on me now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: WorthBestGamer
B.nAUght47  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've changed my mind on how I like the GHes now that I've played GHWT and GHA a lot.

World Tour: Setlist is amazing, engine (bar sliders) is amazing, and it was the first game in the series to have drums & vox (although, they weren't great). I love everything about this game.
Metallica: This game just oozes badass. Fun charts, awesome songs.
Greatest Hits: Not the best setlist for a "greatest of" game, but most of the charts are fun as fuck to play.
Band Hero: It contains The Impression That I Get. 'Nuff said
5: Shit setlist, but the engine is pretty good (not as good as the WT-era engines)
Warriors Of Rock: Fun setlist, but I hate the engine with a burning passion
2: Fuck the engine.
Van Halen: FUCK THE SLIDER NOTES. I'm sorry, but the sliders here are worse than WT's sliders.
Aerosmith: Songs aren't that great (besides Walk This Way) and the engine sucks
3: I hate everything about this piece of shit. The engine is horrible, the charts are beyond stupid, and I don't find the songs fun at all. I like listening to a lot of the songs in this game, but the game itself is not enjoyable to play AT ALL.

Unrankable: GH1, GH80s

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: BnAUght47 Wii Friend Code: 0810038126955628
sidney17  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
WoR is a LOT more challenging than GH3.

Sorry to disagree with you, but in terms of career, you cannot flail your way through GH3's final tier of songs. In WoR, you're so overpowered, it really doesn't matter as long as you hit at least some notes. Proven by my friend who isn't very good at GH.

DerWaffelappen  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked World Tour the best of the ones I've played (which only also includes 2, 3, and SH), but that's mostly because it's what I played the most and which I have the best memories of. I think nostalgia will affect everybody's rankings here in this regard.

On a somewhat related(?) note:
WhYYZ wrote:

GH3 would be 2 really hard one and one tricky FC (RB).
GH:WoR would have 85 "easy" FC's leaving
Kinda tricky IYWP, TDWF
Tricky, Speeding, TTB
Hard, SD
Harder, FOTS, CW, BWOLP.

In your opinion, are those songs actually all legitimately harder than GH3's songs, or do people just see them as such because they haven't played the crap out of WoR like they did with 3? Don't have the game and I can't judge difficulty too well from videos, so I can't make a legitimate opinion myself
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Mister Salami
jeffo2448  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, I find myself randomly playing Smash Hits, Van Halen, Metallica and GHWT.... just b/c there are a handful of great, fun songs on those discs. I played the hell out of GH2/GH3 in their glory days and don't feel any need to keep going back to them. I rarely put in GH5 and I occasionally play GH WoR. Honestly though, I find GH VH and Metallica have some fun charts - most of the songs on the discs are very guitar centric.
WhYYZ  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerWaffelappen wrote:
Snip

I've played the living crap about both games and yes.
All of those WoR songs (Except maybe IYWP) are harder than the 67 songs of GH3.

TDWF is easier than RB but Sudden death is harder than Raining Blood. (A lot harder).

[quote="sidney17"]
Quote:
Snip

We were talking about the songs not about the career.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokyprogg wrote:
1. GH1
2-11. Who gives a shit

1. GH2
2. GH1
3. GH 80's
4-11. Who gives a shit

In other words:

1-3. Harmonix
4-11. Shit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be honest, if the HO/PO's worked in GH1, that game would be the greatest Guitar Hero game to date by FAR. The setlist was fantastic and it kicked off a legendary series that, as cheesy as it sounds, changed my life forever.

GH2 and GH:80's were also both great games. They fixed the HO/PO system from GH1, and again, had great songs, an awesome career mode, and I have so many fond memories of playing both of these games.

GH3 began the steady decline of the Guitar Hero franchise. The setlist was more popular, and the charts harder, but it didn't have that same magic that GH1, 2, and 80's all seemed to have. That and the fact that them putting Dragonforce in the game was just a plea for popularity.

GH:A I think is a better game than GH3, to be honest. I think the charts are better, and it's the first band game Guitar Hero did, and I think they hit it spot on. Granted, Tool or Rush would have been a lot better, but Aerosmith is alright I guess.

GH:WT is when things got ugly. The setlist, in my opinion, was still very good. But this is when Guitar Hero stopped being Guitar Hero. Slider notes sucked, the drums and vocals weren't even close to being up to par with what Harmonix had done on Rock Band, and the whole game just felt rushed and somewhat incomplete.

I haven't played a single guitar hero game after that one, and I haven't wanted to because I became a Rock Band fanboy. However, I will ALWAYS have fond memories of playing Guitar Hero 1, 2, 80's, and somewhat 3 and Aerosmith. Guitar Hero was a franchise that changed a lot of lives, I know it changed mine. As cheesy as that sounds, it's true. I never would have met any of you guys, and I never would have found some of the friends that I've found to this day. This was a game that brought people together, and I will always have fond memories. I'll look back when I'm an older man, a father perhaps, when my kids talk about Guitar Hero like I talk to my dad about the Atari. I will remember all of you people fondly and the memories the games brought along with them.

/sentimental paragraph

GH:1
GH:2
GH:80's
GH:A
GH:3
GH:WT

(Basically, they just got worse as they went on >_>)

Rock Band Accomplishment Thread
Proud owner of over 2,500+ expert Rock Band FC's.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: erkle82
Anthony8  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Fug, 1 and 2 are the best Guitar Hero games. 1 may have hopo's that are hard to use, but that's the challenge of it. 2 has the best setlist out of any game, in my opinion.

80's was good for the most part, but some songs seemed out of place.

3 has fun charts and the engine is ok for me, but the feel of the game makes it seems easy (inorite) except for when you take a jump to the harder songs.

A is just crap, utter crap. Everything about it.

WT was meh. The introduction to sliders is the thing that made me dislike it.

M is an awesome game. Overall tough game with a nice setlist just makes it pleasant to play every time I put it in the disc tray .

SH has terrible charting, yet they're still really fun.

VH is even worse than A. Nothing about it is fun and I swear I would get hit with an instant headache when I play it.

WoR's engine is what keeps me from playing this game, it's just so stupid since you can unpredictably miss at any given time (sure there's practice mode, but I could care a lot less about the game itself).

In the end, I would most likely play GH1-80's, M, and SH out of the rest of the Guitar Hero games.
Bulblax  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k here goes

Setlists (core games):

GH2 (yes it has songs like red lottery x stream yes we can raw dog and drink up but the main setlist is almost all great and there's tons of good bonus songs too)
GHWT (i don't understand the hate, it's very diverse, lots of good classics that were long overdue, some fun charts, the easy alternative shit is good songs at least)
GHWOR (too much bad metal but at least they're fun to play)
GH3 (some good, some bad)
GH1 (it's not bad but it's also got a lot of bad)
GH5 (what is this, GH: indie crap no one cares about?)

Setlists (special games):

Smash Hits* (kinda unfair though, still a lot of crap like Freya that shouldn't be even in one guitar hero game)
80s
Metallica (good mix, mostly from the better albums and the only good song from St. Anger thank god)
Van Halen (the non VH songs are so fucking random lol)
Aerosmith (really not a fan, not full band, non-Aerosmith songs are meh)

yet Metallica and Aerosmith and also Beatles RB are missing so many of their best songs and big hits

Charting

Smash Hits - objectively the best, most accurate charts, though people still criticize them for being horrible for some reason. The one issue is perhaps the charting of sound effects of the guitar (but gh3 did that too).
WoR
The rest
3 - yeah it's bad but I agree with a previous poster, it makes songs that would normally be very boring (Prayer of the Refugee, Minus Celsius, etc) more challenging and one could even say memorable?
2/80s
GH1 - objectively the worst, come on

Neversoft will always be better than Harmonix at charting. And it used to be Neversoft that got criticized for overcharting, but now we get stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxeMoLaJuhk (start at 5:26 for optimal fun)

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1pT56D58kk

Engines? Hard to rank, I'm still not sure which games have the same engine (GH2/80s do for sure, but the rest all feel slightly different, 3 is obviously unique as is WT with its stupid sliders). I always liked 5's tbh, and 5 has the best sliders.

I started with 3 so that will always be my favorite, it's just how it all began. 2 I just don't like the interface, or the engine. I don't mind the hopos so much but the strumming engine is godawful and the fact that it took harmonix like 5 years to fix the strum limit is silly.
WT gets too much hate. I just feel like it was the point where the series just underperformed compared to Rock Band and just wasn't doing the right things. But the game itself has great songs and is fun aside from the sliders and HORRIBLE lag on the wii version (didn't have a 360 when I first got WT).

Going to sleep but I might add more to this post
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulblax wrote:

GH5 (what is this, GH: indie crap no one cares about?)

Smash Hits* (kinda unfair though, still a lot of crap like Freya that shouldn't be even in one guitar hero game)

Tempted to make a "RAWR METAL IS THE ONLY TROO GENRE" post, but I'll let up.

Also, Freya's one of my favorite songs on all of Guitar Hero
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
tannernieland11  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the best games are:

1. GH1-the difficulty is pretty hard but the songs are extremely fun and I will always love this game.

2. GH2-Amazing songs and the engine is very good.

3. GH80: Again awesome songs. Difficulty is not too hard or not that easy either.

4. GH3-Was the first GH game I played and only 3 songs away from a FGFC. A lot of cool memories.

5. GH:M- A lot of cool memorable Metallica songs. The difficulty was perfect in this game.

6. GH:WT- Some people say this engine was the best. This engine had a really good strumming engine. Purple notes are really stupid.

7. GH:WoR- A very difficult setlist, but cool songs.

8. GH:SH-Just chart remasters and songs include the original artists. The engine sucks especially strumming.

9. GH:VH- By far the hardest game to FGFC. Tons of tapping songs.

10. GH5-Boring setlist. Only played it for a day.

I don't own BH or GH:A.

Last edited by tannernieland11 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: tanman21234543
FlannelJacket  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffs of dover is still the most fun chart

police truck is still the best cover

that is all that matters

<bjw> :U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: