ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sushi111  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Reply with quote

This is really really good . Say whatever you want abut the guy, this is obviously an artist working at his creative peak. Definitely his best since College Dropout (which a is a relief since his albums have been getting worse since). Between this and Sir Lucious Left Foot, this is an amazing year for pop-rap albums.

Dark Fantasy is one of the best openers on any rap album ever, love RZAs beat.

"Too many Urkles on your team thats why your wins-low"
machchunk  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea this album owns As versatile as his production has always been, it's never been as varied, intricate, and flat-out awesome as it is here. My favorites right now are "Hell of a Life" and "All of the Lights", but every track that isn't "Lost in the World" is great. Welcome back to the fold, 'Ye.

Of course, it would be a crime if this thread went without discussing the concept, so I'll just leave this here for a start: http://rateyourmusic.com/review?id=33694520
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in before tv

I've only listened to College Dropout and I wasn't too excited over that album, didn't really get my attention. I guess 3* because it was better than average but not by much. So is this better?

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
machchunk  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:
in before tv

I've only listened to College Dropout and I wasn't too excited over that album, didn't really get my attention. I guess 3* because it was better than average but not by much. So is this better?

I think it's better than College Dropout but before this I thought Late Registration was his best album anyway. 1 weak track on a 13 track album as opposed to at least 3 weak tracks and a few skits on the first two albums which both eclipsed 19 tracks. Plus MBDTF is a lot more cohesive.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
SeaMoney  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Album is fantastic. Too many great tracks. "Dark Fantasy", "Power", "All of the Lights", "Monster", "Runaway", and "Blame Game" are all incredible. 5 stars, easily.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The album version of Runaway is song of the year for sure.
FDXCpinballwiz  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The album was completely amazing. I really wish they woulda put some songs from the G.O.O.D. Fridays mix into the cd as i believe that was jus as good, but besides that, no complaints whatsoever.

My accomplishments page (530/567 fc's)

Add me on facebook
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: FDXCp1nballw1z
footballtom3685  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:
in before tv
Yup!

This is my favorite hip-hop album of all time, and I would be extremely surprised if this isn't considered a classic a few years down the road. Too early to be saying that? Probably, but I loved this one immediately and the love has not worn off after many listens. I absolutely love every single song on it. I'm not great at describing/reviewing music, but I can say that the production here is flawless. Lyrically I wouldn't be able to offer a great opinion, but Kanye has some very clever and memorable lines, like the one in the OP - my favorite on the album: "too many urkels on your team, that's why your wins-low"

If I had to pick a favorite track it would probably be Runaway...the mumbling vocoder section is great. Like a hip-hop version of a guitar solo...and speaking of guitar there is some awesome guitar work on this album. I also love the synth solo throughout Hell of a Life...yeah, I could go on and on here.

Probably the only thing I can really say I dislike is Fergie's part on All of the Lights. Nothing against Fergie in particular, her voice just kind of annoys me there and it doesn't go incredibly well with the rest of the song.

So yeah, it's awesome, and if you haven't listened to it yet, DO IT!

Oh, and Pitchfork just gave it a 10.0, which has only happened like, 10 times on an initial release. Regardless of what you think of Pitchfork, that's pretty damn awesome.
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PUSSY AND RELIGION IS ALL I NEED.

YEEZY RE-UPHOLSTERED MY PUSSY.

That is all.

Okay, so seriously. I've never been much of a rap/hip-hop fan, but this album ... it lives up to every bit of hype everyone has thrown its way. The lyrics, the beats, the vocal styles, the ensemble that is the assembled guest cast; it all works together to create one of the best albums I've heard in a very long time. I don't know that I can pick a favorite song, simply because they're all so good. It's clear that Yeezy put some serious time, heart, and soul into making this; everything blends seamlessly, one song fades into the next impeccably, and overall there's almost nothing bad I can say about it. This album is a revelation to me.

Also. Check em.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
Abomstar  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listened to this primarily because of the unorthodox and striking cover art and secondarily because of the Pitchfork hype train. I approached it optimistically and half-expecting to have some revelation, but nope. It really is dense and pretty and nuanced musically at times, but mostly it just served as a frustrating reminder that I have absolutely no frame of reference for analyzing or appreciating rap as a genre (Plastic Beach hardly counts, or does it?). Just can't stomach the whole crude ego-stroking vibe going on here (nor do I have any soft spot for the "powerfully moving, soulful balladry or what have you", for that matter.) Tempting to concede that it's objectively a great album and I simply have no fucking idea how to approach it, but I never do that, so I dunno. Glad you guys are enjoying it though.
sushi111  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly Im glad that you can appreciate it as something that you dont understand rather than dismiss it immediately like so many others that just decry hip hop as a genre. I respect that.

Im loving it a lot. Definitely one of the standout albums of the last 5 years. Feels so complete.
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Yeezus, the follow-up to this was leaked today. Anybody listen to it yet? I don't think it's quite as good as this one or College Dropout, but it's still really great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: