ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
i cant sing on expert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaffx95  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: i cant sing on expert Reply with quote

I can barely pass any song on expert :/ (i can pass all songs if i use a lot of falsettos, but i sound like a robot by doing this). I try to match my voice to the singer's, but it just doesn't happen... So, is there any "tutorial" to teach me how to sing correctly?

The Rock Band Master FC Breakdown Project: RB1 RB2
My Youtube Account: Click Here
inv4der  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is your goal? To do well, or to sound good? The "robotic falsetto" thing works much better for the average person to do well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 99% of people, there comes a time when they have to choose between sounding good and scoring points. If you have to use falsetto that often, I assume your voice has a low natural pitch. My advice would be to try to sing in a lower octave than the original singer. It may be awkward at first, but when you get used to it, you'll notice that you have way more precission and range than with falsetto.

If you don't know what "lowering things an octave" means, go to YT and watch some vids from Tidus and me (only singers I can think of that use that "technique" often)

Ciao!

tidus  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, you have to see how you have a better pitch control. Some basses/baritones have better control by lowering an octave, some have better control on falsetto.

But matching your voice to the singer's can be a bad idea, as the high-pitched songs (e.g. 2112 Pt.2, Black Rain) might pose a problem for your vocal chords. There aren't many GH vocalists who drop octaves frequently, but your mileage may vary.

I, for myself, would recommend learning to lower octaves on high-pitched situations, so you'll still stay on your comfort zone. If it's for the sake of improving gaming-wise. Now, for performing...I'll not know how to explain that

| 57 RB1 on-disk FC's, plus 4 RB Vox FGFC's. No way I don't feel accomplished! =)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TidusKamikaze
Wooffus  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking how to sing on GH vocals is a common question. When I first started out, I had enough issues with the Hard difficulty, nevermind the Expert level. So here's a few tips I could provide.

Firstly, the most obvious is to find the range that you're most comfortable with. Most people go with the range that they're most comfortable with; others end up having to dive into falsetto. In both scenarios, you need to keep your pitch very steady and make sure that it fits the range of the vocal tunnel.

A great guide to find your range can be found here. I don't know if you know your scientific notation, but surely the pitches there can serve as a guide to which vocal style you work best with.

Another obvious mistake I did was failure to callibrate my game correctly when I started out. Obviously it was World Tour, but the same principle I took there can also help you - take a song you know extremely well, by pitches moreso than lyrics, and go through it. If you were pretty sure you hit a phrase absolutely fine, then you may need to calibrate it depending on whether the mic signal ended up coming in too early (in which you need to sort out the video delay) or too late (audio applies here).

And most importantly, remember it's what the game wants you to do rather than trying to emulate the original singer. Putting the mic to the TV doesn't work

Click the card for my accomplishment thread!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 4393435608820667
Shaffx95  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@inv4der
I want to do well and sound good

@Lupo13
Yes i'm low pitched. I tried singing in a lower octave, but that makes me miss. And when i use falsettos, i hit some phrases, but i suond like a robot.

@tidus
I tried lowering an octave, but i usually miss phrases when i do it. For example, i know that the screaming part in Chemical Warfare is an A5. When i scream, i hit it. But when i try to sing it as an A4 or an A3, i miss (probably im dropping 1/2 tone)

@Woofus
I have a very low range , from F2 to C5 only.
About the calibration, i'm sure its ok.

Thanks to everybody who posted here!

The Rock Band Master FC Breakdown Project: RB1 RB2
My Youtube Account: Click Here
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaffx95 wrote:
@inv4der
I want to do well and sound good

@Lupo13
Yes i'm low pitched. I tried singing in a lower octave, but that makes me miss. And when i use falsettos, i hit some phrases, but i suond like a robot.

@tidus
I tried lowering an octave, but i usually miss phrases when i do it. For example, i know that the screaming part in Chemical Warfare is an A5. When i scream, i hit it. But when i try to sing it as an A4 or an A3, i miss (probably im dropping 1/2 tone)

@Woofus
I have a very low range , from F2 to C5 only.
About the calibration, i'm sure its ok.

Thanks to everybody who posted here!

This is coming from someone who primarily plays Rock Band but does reasonably well on GH as well.

- GH5+ (GH5, BH, GHWoR) vocals are very picky about being on-pitch all the time. On Expert, you have very little leeway for being off time or off key. If there's a pitch line and it's not the beginning of the word*, you're allowed to be no more than exactly 1 semitone off. Any more than that and you'll drop ticks. Drop too many ticks and you break combo.

*GHWoR is a bit more lenient at the beginning of each line, letting you "swing" into a word instead of singing early to make sure you get all your ticks.

- F2-C5 isn't low. It's mid to high baritone. You only think its low because most male singers in rock music are tenors. My own range is B1-F4, if you want low.

- If you're trying to transpose octaves and missing entire words, then you're doing something wrong. GH and RB both allow you to jump into any octave you're comfortable with scoring-wise (whether that will sound even vaguely presentable, on the other hand, is another matter entirely...).
Rokit  

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you know when I first started singing in expert, I wasn't that good either. Just keep on singing the songs over and over again (online with friends is good) so you get used to the chart, practice by yourself and change pitch even if it doesn't sound right. It helps if you know the song alreddy. But sometimes, especially with GH, you're not supposed to sing the the song the way it sounds in order to get some phrases right. But everyone here alreddy posted good advice. Later.
musicavenger27  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrn2passagio noob

also i don't believe the F2 to C5 thing unless you're counting head/falsetto voice for the upper part of that range... C5 in full voice is impossible even for most tenors...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: