ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guitar equipment help - Tuner, Strap Locks, Strings, Slider...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OcosnTyrantis  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Guitar equipment help - Tuner, Strap Locks, Strings, Slider. Reply with quote

I've been playing guitar for a year and a half now and I want to start getting into gigging soon. My parents bought me an Epiphone Dot ES-339 for my birthday 8 days ago and I love it.

You all have more experience than me, so I have a few questions...

1. What is a good model of guitar tuner to get?

2. What use does a slider have?

3. What strings come with an Epiphone Dot ES-339? Or what strings would go well with it?

4. How do strap locks work and which strap locks do you recommend?
tormentedbyu  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Guitar equipment help - Tuner, Strap Locks, Strings, Sli Reply with quote

I don't have experience with strap locks, or slide guitar, but I'll help as much as I can.

OcosnTyrantis wrote:
I've been playing guitar for a year and a half now and I want to start getting into gigging soon. My parents bought me an Epiphone Dot ES-339 for my birthday 8 days ago and I love it.

You all have more experience than me, so I have a few questions...

1. What is a good model of guitar tuner to get?
Been a while since I bought my tuner, but Korg makes good ones. If you want to play in anything other than Standard and Drop D though, I wouldn't buy the cheapest one. Right now, to make do, I'm using a chromatic tuner app on my smart phone that cost $3.99. It gets me through. So that's an option for now.

2. What use does a slider have?
Slurring. Playing slide guitar. I have never played with one, but if you look up a video, it's pretty obvious what it does and how it is used. When play slide guitar a lot of it is just continuously being able to slide more efficiently. I can't give pointers as far as specific technique goes, though.

3. What strings come with an Epiphone Dot ES-339? Or what strings would go well with it?
The type of strings you're going to want to use depend on how you play and what kind of music you're playing. I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies since I tend to play a LOT of different stuff. I recommend Ernie Ball strings, but I say just try some different sets out. There are some custom set ups they make like Extra Slinky that are thicker gauge (these usually give you a heavier sound). You've also got your "Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom" which is going to have a heavier sound on the bottom strings and the top/high strings would be easier to bend (this is how Dimebag Darrel used to play, IIRC). So this is all about personal preference.

4. How do strap locks work and which strap locks do you recommend?
I have never used strap locks before, but I assume they'll come with instructions. If I were going to buy some, I'd just stroll into Guitar Center and purchase whatever they had available. When I bought my strap, I almost splurged for the strap with locks, but just decided to get something more basic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Guitar equipment help - Tuner, Strap Locks, Strings, Sli Reply with quote

1. I would recommend a Snark. They clip on to the headstock and use vibration to tune very accurately even in noisy situations. You can get one on Ebay for like $10 or at most music shops for around the same price or cheaper.

2. Never used one, answered above though.

3. As above, I would recommend Ernie Ball as well. I've been using them.

4. The previous owner of my Epiphone Les Paul installed them onto the guitar, so I'm not sure of the set-up difficulty. However, after you get them installed they are great. The strap really is "locked", so you can't drop it while on stage.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: