ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guitar Hero Speedrunning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyGrey  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexhaz64 wrote:
I was also thinking something along the lines of 200/211 would be an interesting speedrun, if only because it takes song choice into effect here. Do you go for the shorter but harder song (such as BiM) or for the longer but slightly easier song (such as H18)? Maybe a more reasonable speedrun would be 40 FCs in GH1, or something like that. Something where you'd have to play at least a few legitimately challenging songs to reach the goal, anyway. Just an idea anyway.

I was thinking of something similar, albeit a bit less of a drag. Either just go for the hardest songs of a game (the big 7 of gh1, the big three of GH3 [dear God ], etc.), or even just doing something like 'FC 9 out of 10 of a particular set of songs'.
I guess the only flaw with a method like this would be being able to 'start' on the run that you first FC a hard song. I guess any sort of true competition would have to be done in a simultaneous race format with multiple people. I'd be totally down to do this with people, except obvious skill differences would be the main factor here. For the top ranks, however, it could be more fun.

While it'd be ideal to do a FGFC of sorts, it just seems way to daunting of a task to replicate, not to mention with a time limit. It's also very restricting in terms of potential games (NTSC GH2, and the games that simply have too many songs). I mean could you imagine playing through 80 GH5 songs, only to miss in the outro of DYFLWD 4 times, completely destroying your overall time xD.
That's why I think maybe just doing like the hardest 20% of the game, or something would be a lot more enjoyable

EDIT: Oh and I appreciate the shout out to my FC/score rivalries, Alex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think speedrunning a rhythm game is pretty silly. But if this were to somehow become a thing, I'd think of it very differently.

I wouldn't include bonus songs. Speedruns, if they're not the 100% category, usually play until the credits. Bonus songs don't help you reach the credits. Runs to the credits would be any%.

FCing an entire game on expert for a speedrun would also be pretty nuts and is pretty much exclusive to the very best of players with ridiculous consistency. I'd include other difficulties.

A 'race' would make most sense to me when the target goal is a number of FCs, or a race to FC one specific difficult song.

In the end I still think it's a silly concept to speedrun what is basically a timed game already. A game to race with where one miss gives you a +3:00 split? Jeez. I'd be even more afraid if races like this involved TTFAF or anything Metallica or what have you. +8:35:19.6 on my TTFAF split. Add a few extra days/months also. Lord have mercy if you're not God at strumming that you have to race on GH2 360.

Davers  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People seem to have missed that a "speedrun", as defined in the OP, is not just running through the game to the end. Yes, that's just stupid. Something like that is just a matter of who can get through the menus the quickest. The "speedrun" in which was talked about was actually FGFCing on a specific difficulty whether it was Expert, Hard, Medium, or Easy.

I was thinking, maybe we should change it from calling it "speedruns" to something like "Challenges" and then keep records of it all. If we could come up with several different challenge categories (several already mentioned), I think the interest for several people would be there bringing a whole new challenge to the game. Of course, then this just belongs in the rivalry forum. lol

I will say this, I like the idea of keeping a 'record book' of sorts. That way it isn't always just word of mouth, but something solid to look at.

And Scarecrow, I'm pretty sure you would win that category hands down. lol I would watch that (or at least be in the stream while doing other things). Personally, I enjoy when people do the hell day challenges and stuff like that. Even though I can't sit there all day, I do like to keep it open on my laptop and take a peek in every now and then
inv4der  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davers wrote:
People seem to have missed that a "speedrun", as defined in the OP, is not just running through the game to the end. Yes, that's just stupid. Something like that is just a matter of who can get through the menus the quickest. The "speedrun" in which was talked about was actually FGFCing on a specific difficulty whether it was Expert, Hard, Medium, or Easy.

I was thinking, maybe we should change it from calling it "speedruns" to something like "Challenges" and then keep records of it all. If we could come up with several different challenge categories (several already mentioned), I think the interest for several people would be there bringing a whole new challenge to the game. Of course, then this just belongs in the rivalry forum. lol

Yeah, the term speedrun has a distinct meaning and it's one that doesn't logically mesh with the concept of the games you're applying it to. So really the first problem with the ideas here is that you're using a term that doesn't fit the actual goal.

Challenge playthroughs and rivalries are a good idea to liven up the waning life of the series. I'd personally be interested in doing something like Mirror Mode GH6 or something.

(by the way if we're tracking rhythm game FGFC attempt counts I SRFGFCed Blitz Bass so I'm WR holder forever Kappa)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elScarecrow wrote:
i would be down for a streaming a runthrough of an entire game, one try per song, total score is the point value. i'd like to think i can set an impassible bar in WT in one go

Do it. And give it a mention beforehand so i dont miss it

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
smokyprogg  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedrunning is cool because of glitches that let you do cool shit you couldn't feasibly do playing the game as intended

thus speedrunning GH would result in gh2 being fc'd in 64 attempts by doing that glitch that lets you play any track and get credit for it on an arbitrary song to fc trogdor easy (the shortest song) for every track on expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love speedrunning. I love Guitar Hero. Speedrunning Guitar Hero would be a terrible mistake. I enjoy watching GH marathons but I'm pretty sure a speedrun would suck.

You guys can try it out though, and see how it turns out.

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC Im The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
stephit  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about 1 attempt at each song allowed, total score at the end, would work well on gh1 with career points, i wouldn't even have time to attempt FCing every song in a game even if i could!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think going by certain career tiers 100% could be interesting

for instance, gh2 facemelters is a diverse set of very difficult songs (strum limit bullshit, extended strummy bullshit, two with intense, endless solos) and it would be interesting to see who could get super consistent, which is difficult with all of these songs on the gh2 engine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Smoky's idea. The only thing that puts me off to it is that if you FCed every song of the tier first try that's it. No more improvements.

4th ever DWDTG FC on November 27, 2010.
[2:32:10 PM] Alex (MoosieHD): Honestly spamming adds difficulty
[2:32:10 PM] Alex (MoosieHD): Methods are way easier
inv4der  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamHero wrote:
I like Smoky's idea. The only thing that puts me off to it is that if you FCed every song of the tier first try that's it. No more improvements.

Sort of the issue of the original full game idea as well, just shorter.

There's always improvements in the form of better movement in menus and loading, which in GH would be maybe a few frames. In a game that runs at 60fps.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndeadFil13QC wrote:
I love speedrunning. I love Guitar Hero. Speedrunning Guitar Hero would be a terrible mistake. I enjoy watching GH marathons but I'm pretty sure a speedrun would suck.

You guys can try it out though, and see how it turns out.

Well I might have to take back what I said here. Speedrunning rules and standards have been set for GH3 and at least two people have achieved a speedrun on Expert, and it's pretty entertaining to watch, so I guess it's fine. I was planning to do GH3H too, just for laughs. With all the filler songs that are even more ridiculously easier on Hard though, not sure who would want to watch that.

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC Im The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
Bulblax  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's actually quite entertaining. I think with the GH3 runs done by ukogmonkey and a couple others there is an additional rule that the songs have to be FC'd in order (i.e. for GH3 start at Slow Ride and end with TTFAF). This can make it more entertaining to watch too I suppose, but not the best strategy for a speedrun :)

Ideal strategy would start with an unpredictable song like Don't Hold Back (or One because the hard part is 5 minutes in), and if you miss a note, then reset.

I'm not sure how this would work with the other games that have less of a "setlist" format (like WoR). Straight alphabetically?
UltraHeroABC5  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either alphabetically or possibly by instrument difficulty?
PinkiePie91  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, for games like WoR, you could possibly do it (It's been a very long time since I did career mode on it) following the format that is presented there. Pretty sure that's different than instrument difficulty, though... if it was done /through/ career mode, you have whoever the character is that if you miss a note it doesn't count it as being a missed note, at least for the multiplier, no idea if it works with say missing the last note of the song, and it saying 100% or 99%.

While the GH3 Speedrunning has been pretty damn cool... it's a set amount of time until songs like Holiday in Cambodia/Black Magic Woman/etc. Which I love speedruns, but when it is 100% set in stone that's it is pretty much a 100% reset (If you're doing the FGFC) if you miss on any songs before that... I dunno what I'm trying to get across here.

Personally, I think I would enjoy it more if it was more like... I'm not sure possibly playing on-disc songs starting from GH1 or any other game (This idea only really works on E/M, possibly H, and if... you're a god I guess expert) and going for the longest notestreak going in order of tiers/song difficulty.

Or like Scarecrow said playing a certain game and totalling up the end-score.

It'd be pretty fun to see in my opinion. Thought I'd throw a word (or 800) in for other possibilities that aren't just "Start from Slow Ride, finish on TTFAF"
But I do think that it should be done starting from Tier 1-down or Intensity 1-10.

Whenever I get everything upgraded, I may be down to do this with say GH1 /80's/RBB... which games like RBB/ACDC those would be hard ones to decide where to start....

/ptfo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: