ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Working on Battletoads "FC"...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ihatebarracuda  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Working on Battletoads "FC"... Reply with quote

Hey guys,

As a break from torturing myself with Guitar Hero, I've decided to torture myself with a different game for a while. Over the next I-don't-know-how-long, I'll be attempting to "FC" the NES classic Battletoads.

You may or may not know this game is famous for its extreme difficulty. I have beaten it before, but I am going to attempt to beat it perfectly, in the spirit of Scorehero.

I'm considering an "FC" of the game to be the following:

--no five lives code
--no getting hit (which means no dying or using continues)
--this isn't a speed run attempt, but I will reset if I make a mistake that costs a lot of time (e.g. missing a warp)

I've broken this task into several sub-goals. As I accomplish them I'll upload videos.

[X] Beat the game
[X] Beat the game without using a continue Video Link
[ ] Beat the game without dying
[ ] Beat the game without getting hit

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ihatebarracuda
smokyprogg  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're really good at juggling Robo-Manus and getting lucky in the last swimming part of Terra Tubes. I can never beat either of those without getting hit.

Good luck! You're gonna need it. :P

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokyprogg wrote:
I hope you're really good at juggling Robo-Manus and getting lucky in the last swimming part of Terra Tubes. I can never beat either of those without getting hit.

Good luck! You're gonna need it. :P

Thanks. Yeah right now the biggest choke points are going to be Robo-Manus, Terra Tubes swimming, and Dark Queen.

I've been practicing Robo-Manus with save states on an emulator, and I can't seem to find a good way to guarantee a good juggle. Sometimes you can get lucky and get like 10 hits in a row, other times you can barely string 2 together. But I am getting pretty good at knowing when to play it safe and just duck instead of going for another hit. I've beaten him 2-3 times without getting hit now, but not nearly consistent enough to attempt a run. This makes it hard to get the no-death run too, since if you get hit by him it's almost always an insta-kill.

I usually don't get hit in the last swimming part of Terra Tubes, the first swimming section is more problematic IMO. There is a lot of randomness with how many enemies spawn and where. In my estimation, that is the only section where luck plays a large factor. It's not a complete run-buster though as even with bad spawns it's just really hard, not impossible.

For Dark Queen I have no idea. I'll give it the Robo-Manus practice treatment eventually, but I'm still not sure why she just completely overrides my attack sometimes. Sometimes you try to hit her when she seems helpless and you just get hit back, other times you can hit her when you really shouldn't be able to (like when she's in the yellow tornado animation).

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ihatebarracuda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: