ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The osu! client going open source, possibly a new home for GH?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninmi  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: The osu! client going open source, possibly a new home for G Reply with quote

This post I think ties more in to Guitar Hero than it does to osu!, so I'll be posting it here.

The new osu! engine is making slow but steady progress on it's open source future, and one of the key points they've talked about is the ability to create custom game modes. This got me thinking of the fact that osu! already has a mania mode, and at least from the surface, making a GH mode a reality would only require tweaking the core mechanics and implementing some very rudimentary 3D objects. I can barely manage a hello world myself, but it does seem like the larger foundation is already laid out for us.

The client would offer major benefits which I believe would breathe new life in to the scene, such as:

- map spesific leaderboards
- chart/song download (from ingame as well!)
- ingame chart editor (expanded mania editor)
- ingame chatrooms

Any interest? I unfortunately probably can't help outside of charting, but I'm hoping some of you wizards get as excited as I am about this possibility.
AbyssionQC  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is really good, if only there wasn't already plenty of competition regarding GH clones right now. I doubt anyone would give up their current progress on their clone just for this.
Ninmi  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any other clones besides Frets on Fire and Phase Shift. What others are there these days? I haven't played FoF in many many years, but I don't think Phase Shift offers online features, even if the engine is great. It isn't really as much about the game engine, but the community features I mentioned above. I really believe it would bring a lot of the community in to the game again as it would provide a platform for multiplayer, competition(PP algorithm besides leaderboards?) and growth as people can upload and show off their chart creations.
PowerM3tal  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jokupelle wrote:
I'm not aware of any other clones besides Frets on Fire and Phase Shift. What others are there these days? I haven't played FoF in many many years, but I don't think Phase Shift offers online features, even if the engine is great. It isn't really as much about the game engine, but the community features I mentioned above. I really believe it would bring a lot of the community in to the game again as it would provide a platform for multiplayer, competition(PP algorithm besides leaderboards?) and growth as people can upload and show off their chart creations.

Phase Shift has online multiplayer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: powerm3tal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: