SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guitar hero 3 custom songs for PS2 Tutorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redxslash  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamikazexero wrote:
So, I've looked through a bunch of tutorials and took 2 full days building my own Guitar Hero 3 Custom Song List and got everything up and running...but, as soon as I start the game, all of the songs sound sort of distorted and crackle as I'm playing through them. Is there any way to remedy this? I'm very new at this, I converted all my .mp3 songs to .ogg...is that the reason for the degraded sound quality? should I adjust the tracks' volumes? I'm kind of stumped here....any help is definitely appreciated!

Try using foobar2000 to help keep your Ogg's stable and sound good quality. Since converting to ogg can lower or increase sound quality.

Join the Rock Band 2 Custom Project - Japanese Variety Pack (25 Songs) - http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=568255#568255
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: T0gur0Br0thers
kamikazexero  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, that was right in the middle of the tutorial, but thanks for simplifying it for me...it just kinda sucked because I put so many hours into making a good song list to play and it just didn't turn out that great. after playing a few of the songs, some sounded okay but others sounded like they may have been too loud, causing some distortion in my speakers. I'm pretty sure it's the volume doing this because the louder the songs get, the worse the distortion is. On top of all this, my Rock Band 2 guitar (which is advertised to be backwards compatible with my PS2) won't sync up with my PS2 but will with my PS3, so I'm going to go get a corded controller somewhere today. But I'm going to try to use foobar to adjust the volumes a bit....I appreciate the help!
jeffhardyfan29  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Guitar hero 3 custom songs for PS2 Tutorial Reply with quote

blitz103 wrote:
Ok, I've decided to make a tutorial about how to put guitar hero 3 custom songs onto your ps2 (as you may have surmised from the title). I realize there is already a tutorial for this, but when I was using it, I found it confusing at times, and at times it didn't tell you how to do certain things, or where to find them (no offense to the author). It won't have all the features of the other guide (how to edit the loading screen, etc.), but it will be a functioning, easy-to-follow guide about how to put custom songs onto your ps2.

First, you will need:

Build GH3: http://buildgh3.dnsalias.org/buildgh3-current-exe.zip
Note: Save the buildgh3 folder somewhere on your main drive, usually the C or J drive (the one you have windows installed on).

Foobar2000 (optional): http://www.foobar2000.org/?page=Download
A DVD reader and burner on your computer
A PC, not a mac (I don't know how it works for mac)
A blank, non-rewritable DVD
Swap Magic*: http://www.modchip.ca/store/product.php?productid=16227&cat=269&page=1

You are basically going to be putting a DVD into your ps2 that you burned yourself. However, the ps2 does not read any DVDs except for official ps2 games and movies. Therefore, you need to hack your ps2. This isn't as bad or difficult as it sounds. Swap Magic is easy to use, works with all versions of ps2 (yes, even the slim one), but the only problem is that you will need to buy it with paypal or a credit card. Note that if you have some other device that allows you to play these games (or play Japanese games) on your ps2, that should work as well. Swap magic costs about $25 before shipping.

If you can't get swap magic or another method of playing unofficial games on your ps2, then sorry, but it's impossible to get custom songs. I will now assume you are able to use swap magic.

Step 1: Getting your songs and charts
One thing I should mention is that you need to have the songs separately, they do not download with the charts. Meaning you'll need the album for each music file, or you'll need to download the songs separately. Note that you can only use ogg, mp3, and flac formats. Any other formats (such as wav) will not work You need to be logged in to Scorehero in order to download the notecharts (if you don't have an account, just register already, it's free and takes 2 minutes). Go to http://www.scorehero.com/custom_songs.php when you're logged in to download the charts.

You will also need to synchronize your charts and songs (so that the guitar note in the song sounds at the same time you play the guitar note). I'd make a tutorial about it, but mstrong has already made an excellent tutorial about synchronizing charts and song files, which can be found here: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51900

Step 2: Naming your songs and charts

Now, go to wherever you saved the gh3build folder. When you open the folder, it should have another folder inside of it, called input. Open it and move all your charts and song files there. Now you need to name your songs and charts. The way you name it is important. For example:
m_02_Crazy Train

The first letter is what kind of song it is. “M” means its a main song (setlist, like one and slow ride), “b” means it's a bonus (like the way it ends or TTFAF), “s” means it's a single encore (like bulls on parade), and “c” means it's a coop encore (like monsters). Then there's an underscore, and a number. The number means which place it is in the song selection page. For example, slow ride, being at the top, would be 01. One, being at the bottom (and the 32nd setlist song), would be 32. Then another underscore, and the name of the song. So, in my example, Crazy Train is the second song of the main setlist. Make sure you give your chart and music file the same name.

When you're finished, you should have one .chart file and one .mp3, .flac, or .ogg file for every song.

Step 3: Volume tagging (optional) and optional custom modifications

Basically, this makes all of your sound files the same volume. I never had the need or inclination to do this, as my files are already more or less the same volume, and it probably won't be much of an issue for you either. You can also edit parts of the game (i.e. the text in loading screens). Seeing as I myself haven't done either of these things, I probably shouldn't be writing a guide about it, so I'll shamelessly quote the original guide:

tttttttt wrote:
Volume tagging
Now, you should tag your files with replaygain information. This is needed so that each of your files sound at about the same volume in the game; this step is not mandatory but is highly recommended. To do that, use foobar2000, making a playlist of all your sound files. You then right click on them, replaygain, scan per file track gain. foobar2000 will scan your files and update their tags with standard replaygain tags. Confirm you want to tag the files when asked.
This should be like this :

Optionnal custom modifications
Next step is optionnal and consists on editing a "definition" file that will tell the program of modifications you want to add that are not per song. Currently, this means changing the texts of loading screen and replacing images. Edit the buildgh3_example.definition file with notepad.

Step 4: Running gh3build

Now you need to open command prompt. If you use Vista, open the start menu, open up the start menu, choose all programs, go into accessories, and command prompt will be there. For any other version of windows, open the start menu, use “run”, and type in “cmd” and press enter.

You need to browse to where you have the file saved. Type in “cd gh3 customs”, where gh3 customs is the file path for where you saved. For example, if you saved it to C:/games/gh3 customs, you would type in “cd games/gh3 customs”. Then type in minibuildgh3 e:/ input/ output/ temp/, where e:/ is your dvd drive. For example, if your CD drive is actually D:/, then type minibuildgh3 d:/ input/ output/ temp/. It should look like this:

Now you wait for the program to work. Depending on your computer, this can take anywhere from 2 minutes to half an hour. When it's done, go to the output folder (it's in the same folder as input), and you should have 4 files starting with "data", and a folder named "music".
Step 5: Preparing the ISO

Now you need to copy the rest of the GH3 files to your folder. Put your GH3 game into your computer's dvd drive. Now copy all of the files from the game except for the ones that start with DATA and the music folder and place them in the output directory in your buildgh3 folder. Now open the music folder in the GH3 game, and copy everything into the music folder in your output directory.

Step 6: Burning and playing the game

Now burn all of the files in the output directory to a blank, non-rewritable DVD, and take the DVD out. Congratulations! You are now holding a guitar hero 3 custom song disc. However, there is still the issue of actually playing the game. PS2s will only play official ps2 games and movie dvds, and will not play a burnt dvd. This is where swap magic comes in. Once you've bought swap magic, consult this page to learn how to use swap magic. Once you've got that working, use the method with your custom disc, and you're done!

NOTE: When creating another custom disc, make sure you clear out the input, output, and temp folders in your gh3build folder before you do anything.

If you get stuck, find the guide confusing at any parts, or anything else, reply to this thread and I'll do my best to help you.[img][/img]

I dont understand any of this
amitR66  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Its not working for me Reply with quote

I have done everything just as you wrote, but when I put the disk in my ps2 nothing happens, it just brings me to the "browse" menu.
LocalH  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a working method for booting games that aren't on authentic pressed PS2 media? If not, then even if your disc is ESR-patched, the PS2 won't load from it. Normally, you'd get the red screen of death booting such a disc. The fact that it went to the normal menu (whether the "browser/system configuration" screen, or the actual browser showing memory cards and the disc drive contents) makes me think that you might have ESR-patched the disc and then tried to boot it on a stock PS2.

Alakaiser sez: POST BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: