ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
My go at 8 positive things everyone can agree with about GH3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prong1978  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: My go at 8 positive things everyone can agree with about GH3 Reply with quote

There have been countless posts on this website about what Neversoft has done wrong in their freshman effort at a Guitar Hero game. While I agree with many of the complaints, I have decided to leave that to others for now. Not all change is bad though, and I have taken the task of listing changes that I believe everyone could agree are positive. With that in mind I refrained from listing anything that I felt people would have a very legitimate complaint against (i.e. music selection, game engine etc…). Unfortunately this list may not apply for PS2 owners based on the first point and last points.

1. Online Play – Whether or not you think it was implemented well or not, the online features of the Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii now exist where there were none before.

2. More Master Recordings – No we’re not all they way to 100% original artists, but you’d have to admit that the master of Pain it Black makes you feel more like a Rolling Stone than Pride and Joy reminds you of Stevie Ray Vaughan (this parenthetical phrase is to acknowledge that Paint it Black’s master recording made it impossible to separate the bass track, but overall I think it was worth it).

3. More Playable Systems – You no longer have to buy an antiquated PS2 or Microsoft’s Xbox 360 to play Guitar Hero. More systems = More players = More Guitar Hero.

4. Better Graphics – Even if you don’t find graphics important, they’re still a step up from previous installments which can’t be a bad thing.

5. Co-Op Career – Play it if you like it, ignore it if you don’t. True, you can’t play it online, but it wasn’t even available before. The fact that there are co-op exclusive songs doesn’t count as a negative tin regards to this point, because without co-op those songs might not even have been put into the game.

6. The Soundtrack – What, you don’t like the songs on it? You don’t like the DLC (360 only)? It’s still better than the GH1, GH2 and GH80’s Soundtracks that were never made.

7. Removable Faceplates – It’s completely optional, and doesn’t interfere with the performance of the guitar.

8. Faster load screens (Xbox 360) – This can’t possibly be a bad thing.
Prawbill  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont agree with the SRV comment.. I thought the cover singer was horrible.. it made me want to throw up.. I almost couldnt finish the song.

My GT is Omgwtfywontudie

If you play with me, let me know! Send me a PM. I sometimes host matches, usually expert pro face off..

If you want to challenge me, send me a fr or something.. Send me a PM first or I might not accept it.
Prong1978  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawbill wrote:
I dont agree with the SRV comment.. I thought the cover singer was horrible.. it made me want to throw up.. I almost couldnt finish the song.

That's what I was trying to imply. I said that Paint it Black makes you feel like a Stone MORE than Pride and Joy reminds you of SRV. The illustration here is that masters are good, whereas covers are not always good. Sorry for the confusion.
HottLixx  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo,man it's nice to know there's something good in GH3.
JRyder  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My go at 8 positive things everyone can agree with about Reply with quote

Alright, let's give this a go.

Prong1978 wrote:
1. Online Play – Whether or not you think it was implemented well or not, the online features of the Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii now exist where there were none before.

Agreed. This adds replay value that already existed because of ScoreHero.

Quote:
2. More Master Recordings – No we’re not all they way to 100% original artists, but you’d have to admit that the master of Pain it Black makes you feel more like a Rolling Stone than Pride and Joy reminds you of Stevie Ray Vaughan (this parenthetical phrase is to acknowledge that Paint it Black’s master recording made it impossible to separate the bass track, but overall I think it was worth it).

Agreed, panties would've been bunched for a Paint It Black cover. Clearly there is still a need for covers, however. I'd rather have played Pride and Joy and Barracuda and Cliffs of Dover than not play them.

Quote:
3. More Playable Systems – You no longer have to buy an antiquated PS2 or Microsoft’s Xbox 360 to play Guitar Hero. More systems = More players = More Guitar Hero.

Agreed with reservations. The PS2 owners are obviously upset and the next-gen owners might be as well if 360 gets preferential treatment. As a 360 owner, though...agreed.

Quote:
4. Better Graphics – Even if you don’t find graphics important, they’re still a step up from previous installments which can’t be a bad thing.

Fretboard graphics are definitely good despite the co-op shortcomings, so agreed; the rest of the graphics I could give a shit less about, I felt the singer was an improvement but obviously I'm in the vast minority.

Quote:
5. Co-Op Career – Play it if you like it, ignore it if you don’t. True, you can’t play it online, but it wasn’t even available before. The fact that there are co-op exclusive songs doesn’t count as a negative tin regards to this point, because without co-op those songs might not even have been put into the game.

Agreed, and good point about the co-op exclusive songs. It's sad to think that CoFwRaR would've been left out, but it's definitely possible. However, non-360 owners are probably still pissed about no quick play co-op, which is a good point in the negative category.

Quote:
6. The Soundtrack – What, you don’t like the songs on it? You don’t like the DLC (360 only)? It’s still better than the GH1, GH2 and GH80’s Soundtracks that were never made.

Agreed, although Harmonix tried to one-up them by releasing complete archives of their material from the past three games--there are some good covers in there, I swear.

Quote:
7. Removable Faceplates – It’s completely optional, and doesn’t interfere with the performance of the guitar.

Agreed. As long as they stay in the $15 range and start adding more variety (how about some bands from the game instead of Panic at the Disco and Fall Out Boy? I like those two bands just fine, but why have faceplates for them?) then I'm cool.

Quote:
8. Faster load screens (Xbox 360) – This can’t possibly be a bad thing.

Agreed to the max. It's really nice to have real quick loading screens, and it's impressive considering the favored Harmonix engine had longer loading times and appears to be continuing down that road with Rock Band--though that's a hard negative to sell.
Prawbill  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prong1978 wrote:
Prawbill wrote:

That's what I was trying to imply. I said that Paint it Black makes you feel like a Stone MORE than Pride and Joy reminds you of SRV. The illustration here is that masters are good, whereas covers are not always good. Sorry for the confusion.

I read it wrong.. my mistake. I thought you were saying the SRV as good as PiB

My GT is Omgwtfywontudie

If you play with me, let me know! Send me a PM. I sometimes host matches, usually expert pro face off..

If you want to challenge me, send me a fr or something.. Send me a PM first or I might not accept it.
Siberian  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually in regards to Paint it Black the fact that all the guitar sections cut out when you miss a note makes it feel more like a user track then I would like and detracts a bit from the experience.
Hatredy  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think the removable face plates were a good idea, the way they were implemented is pretty terrible. The un-rounded edges of the guitar resulting from easy implementation of the face plate system result in a guitar thats pretty uncomfortable to play for long periods of time. I'm easily bothered by this sort of thing in the first place, but many of my friends feel the same way.
glacier985  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately noticed a huge improvment in the loading times of GH2 on my PS2 and GH3 on my PS3. Some of the songs load so quick I don't even have time to read the text.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of these two points I'll throw in the new cheats/hyperspeed interface as another undisputed improvement.

Last edited by mr-apples on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Prong1978  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawbill wrote:

I read it wrong.. my mistake. I thought you were saying the SRV as good as PiB

No problem.

Siberian wrote:
Actually in regards to Paint it Black the fact that all the guitar sections cut out when you miss a note makes it feel more like a user track then I would like and detracts a bit from the experience.

That's a reasonable counter-point, but I'm good enough at that song that I'm unlikely to notice. Good point though. I hadn' thought of that as a possible problem.
mr-apples wrote:

The soundtrack is not even a true soundtrack with the limited number of tracks on it.

...I'll throw in the new cheats/hyperspeed interface as another undisputed improvement.

I disagree with your comment about the soundtrack. A soundtrack for GHIII is better than no soundtrack for the previous games.

You're right about the cheats menu though. That's hard to argue against.
Twang  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr-apples wrote:
Co-op career: OP under-estimates what a flaw the co-op exclusive songs are. And it's bad logic to say "they might not have been there at all!"

I think you OVER-estimate how big of a deal that is. It's not hard to find someone who knows how to play GH, on at least medium mode. I mean, do you not have any friends or something?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
HammerOn  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, co-op was a side item i think. Too much time was spent on battle mode, so much so that the loading screen in co-op where you pick the difficulty there is a huge "VS" in the middle of the screen. i mean wtf?

That is ElxVintageFade's run of TDWDTG in my avatar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: