ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Just wondering if I'd be able to get into this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Popn'Music and Beatmania
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Worldkaos  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Just wondering if I'd be able to get into this. Reply with quote

I've been a huge fan of music based rhythm games for awhile now. Started with DDR then progressed to Stepmania when I ran out of money for arcade spending. Eventually got so good at that that it became boring. Now for the past year or so I've been doing GH and just recently RB. I've been on the forums for awhile but never really searched this section and it just so happened to catch my eye today. So I started looking through here and Beatmania and Pop'n series sound like they're pretty fun especially since everyone makes it sound so challenging. The question that I have, the answer which will determine whether I try to get this, is basically this. Is this quote from IGN true?

Quote:
Some of these DJs seem to think that randomly placed, off-key notes make for a good song, and not only are they wrong, but playing along with these notes defeats all purposes of a rhythm game since there isn't any. You simply wind up matching the scrolling bars rather than using them as keys for playing the sections of the song you've learned. When it comes down to it, rhythm games aren't supposed to be about watching the lines, dots or arrows as they scroll across the screen and triggering a button just as they reach a marker, but rather you should be using them as a guide for what to hit and use the rhythm of the song to dictate the timing.

I've watched some videos of a few songs and it does seem like there are some random notes in there that have no reason for being there except as like a "Oh, hey, this needs to be more challenging! *adds notes that don't make sense*" This was probably my biggest factor in quitting Stepmania, cause once I became good at that game, I started downloading "Keyboard only" type songs. Eventually it got to the point where the only things I couldn't pass where the ones where the notes weren't based on any rhythm and instead where just thrown in there sporadically without making any sense. These kinds of songs just piss me off. So I basically just want to know that if I get pissed at random no sense notes in a song, is this series good for me? Or is it just a few songs that are like this and would I actually enjoy the rest of the songs in the game that do make sense?
websurfertai  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probably like IIDX/Popn then, since most of the charts I've played don't have those random notes like you said. For the most part, what I've played are charts that have each note placed where an actual sound is made, no extras.

Although, there is that learning curve and you'll see new charts and be puzzled and confused at first (you'll feel like ), but after a while you'll notice the rhythms and patterns and it will make sense.

There are a few charts out there that seem like they have too many notes, but that's just because they're really really hard. It will make sense with time and practice.
VeliusIIDX  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you getting the idea of "random" notes?

If you pointed me to a song and the chart I could probably tell you how the notes go to the music.

I think exactly opposite of what IGN thinks about the game at times. It sometimes goes too much with the music where it get's annoying to figure out how to time some of the notes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeliusIIDX wrote:
Where are you getting the idea of "random" notes?

If you pointed me to a song and the chart I could probably tell you how the notes go to the music.

I think exactly opposite of what IGN thinks about the game at times. It sometimes goes too much with the music where it get's annoying to figure out how to time some of the notes.

Pretty much this. This is because the charts are not confined to one instrument. This means you have to have an ear for it as well as the rhythm/dexterity if you want to make sense of it.

And if you played StepMania charts that did not go with the music, then the charts you were playing sucked ass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Leprosy916 PSN Name: Leprosy916
Matt  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are talking about with the "random notes". Don't worry, songs with that kind of chart are a very small percentage of the song selection.

As for one of the worst offenders: Here
Not so much for notes being random, but the constantly changing BPM is annoying.
But again, this is very uncommon, and you can easily play the game with plenty of songs while avoiding this type of thing.
Mark 8:36
Worldkaos  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, ya'll have convinced me to go pick this up as soon as I have the extra cash to afford it. Thanks for clearing this up for me.
xHellRaverx  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Beatmania IIDX series is one of the most challenging and most enjoyable rhythm games out there. You may think that there are random notes in some of IIDX's songs, but It's basically a DJ Simulation game, so you take control of the whole song. The series has 3 difficulties, Normal, Hyper, and Another. Also, before you start a song, just like DDR, you have the choice to alter certain settings to cater to your liking. Settings such as Autoscratch, Speed, etc. In my opinion, I think the best two Beatmania IIDX games in the whole series is 12th Style(aka Happy Sky) and 13th style(aka DistorteD), which is the newest in the Ps2 port series, but the newest IIDX game in arcades is VJ Troopers( I believe).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Popn'Music and Beatmania All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: