ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Soft pad having stuck buttons sometimes.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Dance Dance Revolution
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riyunoa  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Soft pad having stuck buttons sometimes..... Reply with quote

Well this is kinda like eX's thread about his Afterburner, but I have a problem with my soft pad.

This is the one I have, $10 from Play-Asia.

The thing is, sometimes one of the buttons stop registering. A month back it had been the Down button. Today it was the Left button. I usually shake the mat to get it unstuck, but it didn't work. Sometimes even though I'm standing right in the center of the pad, some of the buttons will be detected as pressed down. It also "double strums" frequently.

Anyone have a clue what might be going on? Is my mat dead, should I just get another and save the frustration? By the way, it's not like I abuse my mat a lot, it's like 2 months old, I can just pass 6s and 7s.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problems with those mats are a couple...

1) they come folded up so the material is creased to a degree, this might cause inadvertent pressure on the sensors

2) the sensors are SO close together (the top and bottom parts that you actually press together by stepping are separated by about 1mm of foam). they could just malfunction or be constantly touching eachother

if you declare you pad dead, you'll rip it open and see what i mean.

3) static electricity, do you play on carpet? if so you may have fried the control box. (but not likely as it's still working sometimes)

those softpads are really for kids getting to learn the game not really trying to get better at it.

if you really enjoy the game, get a pad with the 1" high density foam like the ignition or if you wanna splurge (recommended) get an afterburner or cobalt flux

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you could save all that money you would have spent on a cobalt flux and just play at the arcade. if you're any good, you'd never have to worry about people talking shit and the people that do talk shit suck anyway.
riyunoa  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah eX, I've faced those problems multiple times - and I play on a flat wood floor, read that leaving the mat unfolded would prevent such problems, but no effect. I'm probably going to get a metal pad eventually if they ship here, lol.

Fly1ngV wrote:
or you could save all that money you would have spent on a cobalt flux and just play at the arcade. if you're any good, you'd never have to worry about people talking shit and the people that do talk shit suck anyway.

:P I wanted to save money in the arcade, since a game is like USD$1, and an afterburner is $199. I am not good at DDR, like I can't even pass Xepher (7). By the time I play 199 rounds of DDR in the arcade I could get a metal pad that I could play for more than a year hopefully.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started out playing at home with DDRMAX. once you get to the point you can do 6s and 7s, give the arcade a try. it's a bit difference since you are playing so close to the monitor and you're off to one side of the monitor a bit.

i gave the arcade a whirl at this point and it takes some getting used to. but i did enjoy the bigger selection of songs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eXcelon969 wrote:
i started out playing at home with DDRMAX. once you get to the point you can do 6s and 7s, give the arcade a try. it's a bit difference since you are playing so close to the monitor and you're off to one side of the monitor a bit.

i gave the arcade a whirl at this point and it takes some getting used to. but i did enjoy the bigger selection of songs.

The biggest struggle transitioning from home versions to the arcade is that the arcade doesn't have the extremely generous timing window that home versions have. Also FC != AA in the arcade versions. And i would sugest if you are just starting to play in the arcade, look for an Extreme machine, that game is still the best game in the entire series (especially since SuperNOVA and superNOVA 2 AC are horrible).
ayeaykay  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo i am new to this forum. i am not to good at gh but i am amazing at ddr. so wat i think of the soft pads are tht they r total crap. they break way to easily and there(i kno this sounds stupid) is no bar in the back. i bought a arcade mat cuz i was fed up wit the others. i bought it off ebay for 100$. it has lasted me for many years
riyunoa  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I fixed my stuck buttons. All I did was stick a piece of foam with holes cut, into the dance mat, between the two plastic sensor sheets.

I guess that's the purpose of dance mats with foam inserts, which mine doesn't have.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, soft pads are made of loss and fail. They're not really worth the money, in my opinion. Then again, I guess I'm a little spoiled having my Cobalt Flux.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Dance Dance Revolution All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: