ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Noob Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Popn'Music and Beatmania
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genga  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Noob Question Reply with quote

Ok, youre talking about Beatmania in here, but remember im from the UK, so we dont have as many cool games as you lot

I understand that beatmania is basically like every other music game (hit the right button on the right beat), but what else is to it? like, what console is it on, how many are there, are there popular songs, and do you get a controller made specifically for the game?

All the youtube vids on it look good, and im liking Popn too
Matt  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the main feature that sets beatmania apart from other music games is the turntable, which puts a unique spin on the game (no pun intended).
The games have been majority for the PS/PS2.
You won't find many well known liscences from anywhere other than Japan, although BMUS has a few nice covers, mostly from Kareoke Revolution. If you like DDR songs, you get a lot of those.
As far as the controller goes, BMUS comes with its own controller; otherwise, you get to order an official controller (the US one being better than the JP one for once), or an ASC (which of course will cost you a few hundred US dollars).
In Japan, there are I think 8 Beatmania games (5key), and about a dozen IIDX games (7key).
Genga  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet, i wondered what the record was for, i take it you scratch with it?

Im guessing BMUS is BeatMania US? but whats IIDX?

And would this be the best game to look into, or should I try Popn first?
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genga wrote:

beatmania is most definitely harder. IIDX is 7 key, not sure if the US is 5 key or 7 key. The record is just another note, esentially making it basically 6 or 8 keys, depending on the game. Popn is a lot of fun, and IMO find easier than IIDX.
Matt  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beatmania US has both 5key and 7key mode. Pop'n starts off easier, but gets just as hard as beatmania (trust me on this one)
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
Beatmania US has both 5key and 7key mode. Pop'n starts off easier, but gets just as hard as beatmania (trust me on this one)

Hehe oh I know. I didn't know the US had a 7 key mode, looks like I'll be getting it payday.
Usagi  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genga wrote:

Have a look for some Beatmania videos on Youtube to get an idea of how it's played, but most of the videos on there are of pretty high-level players so don't be intimidated by it.

The IIDX is shorthand for (Beatmania) 2 Deluxe. When it originally came out in Japan, Beatmania only had 5 keys. The deluxe second version (I don't know if there was ever simply a Beatmania II) has seven.
Beatmania III is only available in the arcade, and ironically IIDX is still going after BMIII is finished, but it has 7 keys and a footpedal as well as a turntable.
Which one you should get first really is your choice. IIDX definately has a harder learning curve, but if you stick with it it's a cool game to play with lots of cool musical styles like Hip Hop, Trance, Techno, House and Dance music.
Pop'n is easier to get the hang of for most people, and a lot simpler on the lower levels, but it is the more difficult of the two at the top level (not counting IIDX doubles play, Pop'n doesn't have doubles.) The music style is a lot more varied, and to be honest, a lot of it won't be to most people's taste, for example there's a lot of licensed Japanese TV and anime cover versions, and some that's just plain weird. There's also a lot of Japanese text in the game, but not so much that you can't see what you're supposed to do. Some/most of the song genres and titles are in English. Plus the song/feature unlock games are usually a pain in the ass.
In short: IIDX = 'Cool'. Pop'n = 'Fun.'
Matt  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall, there was a Beatmania II that had 5 keys only, but it died out quickly, while IIDX took off.

Also, I thought beatmania III was 5 keys, turntable, and foot pedal.
MazriMTaiM  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Europe will now be getting (official) AC IIDX, Pop'n Music, and GF/DM! So worry not, you'll see it in arcades soon.
EviLize  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
Also, I thought beatmania III was 5 keys, turntable, and foot pedal.

It is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Popn'Music and Beatmania All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: