ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Hammer Time! or You Gotta Be Shittin' Me!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWideman  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Hammer Time! or You Gotta Be Shittin' Me! Reply with quote

After realizing it would cost more in gas repeatedly returning the Hammer Wireless Guitar Controller than it cost me in the first place, I decided to take matters into my own hands. As it turned out, not only was this a good idea, but it took longer to get the screws off than to fix it.
The strumbar system consists of three parts - the strumbar itself, the circuit board, and a piece of plastic which serves as a housing to hold the two together and protect the microswitches. Four little screws hold them together. I took those off and seperated the pieces, looking for a broken piece of plastic wedged in there, but nothing. I discovered the problem when I tried reassembling it. The first thing I noticed was that the housing didn't fit smoothly when placed together exactly the same way, and part of the housing pressed against the capacitors on the circuit board. "Weird!" I thought. Close inspection revealed little tabs on the housing which corresponded to holes on the board. THE HOUSING WAS PUT IN UPSIDE DOWN! I reassembled it correctly and now strumming is reliable. Most likely the whole batch that was sent to Wal-Mart was done that way.
Now, this is here because I noticed that all the buttons have very loose tolerances - the whole thing is like a NYC hooker during Fleet Week. I need advice on how to tighten things up.
I don't think I can do anything about the tilt sensor, which is solidly glued in place - it lags for an apparently non-mechanical reason.
Oh, I'll also note that the whammy bar design is 10 times better than in the SG - it doesn't rotate around a single weak piece of plastic. The fulcrum is thicker, supported on both ends, and has a metal rod going through the middle. However, it does rattle around a lot, like everything else on this controller.
I might take pictures next time I open it up, if anyone else is interested.
Kegermann  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im interested, cause im thinkin of getting a wireless because ive had a lot of problems with my sg
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: MKegermann PSN Name: Kegermann
JWideman  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kegermann wrote:
im interested, cause im thinkin of getting a wireless because ive had a lot of problems with my sg

Honestly, get the one from RedOctane. Same price, plus shipping. Even if you get one that isn't put together wrong, you have to open it up and find a way to tighten up all the buttons. Also, the fret buttons are flat instead of slightly rounded, and so far I haven't been able to make them depress evenly instead of one end dipping below the hole in the neck - this means you can't easily do slides or even shift position.
Finally, even installed correctly, the strum bar housing seems to have a design flaw or is improperly made and needs to have an edge smoothed with sandpaper.
But still, I'll post pictures next chance I get.
Kegermann  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWideman wrote:
Kegermann wrote:

Honestly, get the one from RedOctane. Same price, plus shipping. Even if you get one that isn't put together wrong, you have to open it up and find a way to tighten up all the buttons. Also, the fret buttons are flat instead of slightly rounded, and so far I haven't been able to make them depress evenly instead of one end dipping below the hole in the neck - this means you can't easily do slides or even shift position.
Finally, even installed correctly, the strum bar housing seems to have a design flaw or is improperly made and needs to have an edge smoothed with sandpaper.
But still, I'll post pictures next chance I get.

Yea, I ended up buying the RO Wireless.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: MKegermann PSN Name: Kegermann
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: