ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Yu-Gi-Oh! Thread! (From cards to the TV show)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xpertlefty13  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Yu-Gi-Oh! Thread! (From cards to the TV show) Reply with quote

IMPORTANT LINK: http://yugioh.wikia.com/
That's a great place to look up ANYTHING Yu-Gi-Oh related.

-----

1. Deck Types

2. TV Show

(This will get bigger as the thread does... I don't know everything :P)

Deck Types:
"Beatdown" decks aren't too common anymore because themed decks typically fare better in tournaments and in general. Here, (hopefully) every type of deck will go under analysis, to give the reader an idea of what the best deck type is, which is the most fun to play, and just the basics of each deck (is it aggressive or defensive, does it rely on spells/traps, does it have a lot of firepower, etc.)

Earthbound Immortal Decks (kisstherain):
For a while I tried to run an Earthbound Immortal Deck. Earthbound Immortals are all dark monster cards. Each of them require two tributes and a field card MUST be on the field, or else the earthbound is destroyed. Every earthbound immortal has the unique ability to attack your opponents life points directly, even if your opponent has a monster(s) on the field. In addition, every earthbound has its own unique effect. There are many many OTK combos involving earthbounds due to the high attack power they possess. There are also many earthbound support cards, such as Earthbound Revival, Roar Of The Earthbound, and Earthbound Wave. Earthbound Revival allows you to select one earthbound immortal and one field spell from your grave and add them to your hand. Earthbound Wave and Roar Of The Earthbound destroy and negates one of your opponents spells/traps.
In my earthbound deck, I ran 3 Double Coston. Double Coston is a card that acts as two tributes for a dark monster. This allowed me to get my earthbounds out with one tribute. I also used other cards as tribute fodder, such as Spirit Reaper and Marshmallon, because they aren't destroyed by battle. Cards like Mystical Tomato, and Masked Dragon served as great tribute material, because if one was destroyed by battle before you get the chance to tribute him, you could special summon another one from your deck.
Mausoleum Of The Emporer is a field spell that allows you to pay multipules of 1000 life points equal to the number of tribute monsters you would need for a tribute summon, so I wouldn't need to tribute. This is a key card in just about every earthbound deck, along with Terraforming, which allows you to search out a field spell from your deck.
Because an earthbound is destroyed when there isn't a spell card, I ran cards that prevented the destruction of spells such as Dark Bribe, Magic Jammer, and Seven Tools Of The Bandit. Cards like Royal Decree (trap cards cannot be activated) are also useful when your earthbound attacks, because it protects you from cards like Magic Cylinder, Sakuretsu Armor, and Dimensional Prison. Also, Royal Decree will protect the earthbound from being destroyed/removed by cards like Trap Hole, Bottemless Trap Hole, and Torrential Tribute.

Lightsworn Decks (kisstherain):
Lightsworn are my favorite cards right now. I can't wait till they reprint Judgment Dragon cause the price is supposed to drop. Which is great considering JD is like, 40 bucks at the cheapest. But Macro does a great job of completely shutting down LS, as Lightsworn is all about self-milling [sending cards from the top of your deck to the graveyeard], and then special summoning or something.
JD [3000 att] is the key card in LS decks. He can only be special summoned when theres 4 or more lightsworn cards in your grave with different names [however this is very easy to accomplish with all the self-milling effects of lightsworn], but when hes special summoned, you can pay 1000 to clear the field. Every single lightsworn monster makes you mill at X amount of cards. With all those cards removed from play, LS is screwed.
Foolish Burial and Wulf is a great card combo.
Wulf is a 5* monster with 2100 att, but when he's sent from the deck to the grave, he is automatically special summoned therefore, when he's milled he's special summoned. Foolish Burial is a spell that allows you to discard one card from your deck to the grave, which is basically an instant special summon of Wulf.
Although each lightsworn monster makes you mill cards, they're are benefits from each one. Milling JD isn't that big a deal either because with cards like Monster Reincarnation you can discard 1 card and bring him back to your hand, and then just special him if you have 4 different LS in the grave.
Lightsworns have topped the most decks in local, regional, and shonen jump NATIONAL tournaments [along with Blackwings, Machinas, Gladiator Beasts, Twilight, and the long list of OTK decks]. However, the deck that gives Lightsworn most trouble (besdes Macro), seem to be zombies. I've seen many matchups where zombies beat the living shit outta LS. Which is why I love both so much

Machina Decks (Xpertlefty13):
"Let's make an earth deck where monsters are constantly special summoned/searched for!" "Yeah, and then let's put a c in it and make it silent!!"
>_>
Machina decks, despite how "cheap" (not in money terms) many consider them, are very good decks. At first glance, they revolve around five cards; Machina Defender, Machina Sniper, Machina Soldier, Commander Covington, and Machina Force. Defender/Sniper/Soldier can be tributed to summon Force (a 4600 ATK card) with Covington's effect. Unfortunately, it costs 1000 life points to attack with Machina Force, so unless it's attacking directly or an attack position monster, it's not really worth it. Not to mention, Magic Cylinder against a Force Attack is basically an OTK. Despite the good effects of Defender/Sniper/Soldier, the 5 cards previously mentioned don't make Machina decks what they are. Machina Peacekeeper, Machina Gearframe, and ESPECIALLY Machina Fotress do. Gearframe and Peacekeeper's searching/equipping abilities are fantastic, but Fortress's effect blows them out of the water. Fortress can be special summoned by discarding cards whose star total adds up to 8 or more. This effect is really the only reason Machina Force is still in those decks. Draw a Geaframe and a Fortress/Force, summon Gearframe, search for Fortress/Force (the one you don't have) then discard Force to Summon Fotress... it's a pretty awesome move.
Certain spell cards are also go nicely in a Machina deck. Machina Armored Unit comes to mind, and very unfortunately I forgot the name of the card, but you can special summon the other two Peacekeepers from your deck when you summon one, which leads to more Gearframes which leads to more... other cards.
Overall, Machina decks are very strong, but possible to beat with any other themed deck, but it would make one hell of a duel. Its biggest weakness is a macro deck ;)
To summarize:
Strengths: Swarming, searching
Weaknesses: Macro/OTK decks, plain and simply a 50/50 chance against other themed decks.
Favorite Monster Card: Machina Fortress
Favorite Spell/Trap Card: Machina Armored Unit

Macro Decks (Xpertlefty13):
Personally, I have a bizarre addiction to Macros decks. It's probably the fact that they shut down lightsworn decks very effectively, with lightsworn being my best friend's preference deck (that he won't shut up about). In addition, the deck also plays well against blackwing/machina, and really almost every themed deck in the game. Of course, it comes with flaws, the most obvious being "imperial iron wall," which doesn't allow cards to be removed from play. But, even with that card on the field, the deck could still do (farely) well, assuming plenty of monarchs are placed in. Any monarch + exiled force is a fantastic combo, because you can tribute summon exiled force on the turn that it's summoned. D.D. Survivor and D.D. Scout Plane are even better, because if they are removed from play, at the end phase they come back onto the field.
Away from the monsters and onto trap/spell cards. In any decent Macro deck, I believe there should be plenty of cards like Dark Bribe and MST (mystical space typoon) because it relies heavily on macros cosmos and dimensional fissure to remove cards from play. Basically, you want a lot of macros cosmos/dimensional fissures in your deck (4-6) but you also want plenty of back-up. Typical staples also go fine with this deck.
Unfortunately, a BIG part of Macro decks is the draw. If you get a shitty draw, you're out quick. OTKs, of course, (rolls eyes) are also very big problems, because Macro decks aren't really set up to have a lot of firepower, they basically act as stall decks to wear the opponent down until knocking there life points down to 0. Luckily, D.D. Crow can stop OTKs 99% of the time... too bad it's a $30 dollar card.
To summarize:
Strengths: Good against lightsworn, blackwing, machina, and most themed decks.
Weaknesses: Imperial Iron Wall, OTK decks
Favorite Monster Card: Caius the Shadow Monarch
Favorite Spell/Trap Card: D.D. Dynamite

"Must-haves":
Banisher of the Light
D.D. Survivor
Helios - The Primordial Sun
Caius the Shadow Monarch
D.D.R. - Different Dimension Reincarnation
Dimensional Fissure (2-3)
Nobleman of Crossout
Bottomless Trap Hole
Dimensional Inversion
Dimensional Prison
Macros Cosmos (2-3)

TV Show:
I don't watch the TV show, I don't even know when/if it's on but I might start into that again. ANYTHING to put here would be great... although if someone could write a "review" for the series, or just one season, that would be AWESOME

-----
For now, to get this thread started, any decent post on anything to do with Yu-Gi-Oh! Will be copy/pasted (possible with revisions) into the OP to add some volume and variety to it. Just another note, again, I plan on adding sections, quicklinks, and all that fancy stuff later. Thanks, and I hope this thread grows a lot!

2.9.10 - First Bass FSFC
3.20.10 - First to FGFC 3 instruments on RB2.

Last edited by Xpertlefty13 on Fri May 28, 2010 4:39 am; edited 10 times in total
Qarx  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone made a Yu-Gi-Oh! thread already, but I'll comment on my deck anyway lol.

When I played the game for real, I tried to use a Vampire Lord deck (since, I like Vampire Lord... the effect is pretty nice, and... vampires are cool lol). Needless to say, it sucked pretty hard; I compared it to a deck I made (with the help of a friend) from Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Spirit Caller, and to make my real deck as good as the one in the game, I would have to exchange about 21 cards of my 40 card deck . I bet I would have to change the deck even more so if I were to try playing today, though I'm not sure how many of the cards in my deck are banned other than Call of the Haunted (if that's still banned, anyway).

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT

Last edited by Ontwikseltsaar on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show was decent (1st season of course) and the card game was fun... but then they came out with more... and more... and more... and STILL more. It pretty much became like pokemon to me. It started out good, but then came out with too much stuff, and I just lost interest. Not to mention, you have to spend hundreds to build even a decent deck, which is retarded.
Xpertlefty13  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
The show was decent (1st season of course) and the card game was fun... but then they came out with more... and more... and more... and STILL more. It pretty much became like pokemon to me. It started out good, but then came out with too much stuff, and I just lost interest. Not to mention, you have to spend hundreds to build even a decent deck, which is retarded.

You'd be suprised at how well this Macro Deck would do. It's pretty cheap, too, that's why I like it. Although I agree that there's too many cards and crap.

Qarx wrote:
Someone made a Yu-Gi-Oh! thread already, but I'll comment on my deck anyway lol.

When I played the game for real, I tried to use a Vampire Lord deck (since, I like Vampire Lord... the effect is pretty nice, and... vampires are cool lol). Needless to say, it sucked pretty hard; I compared it to a deck I made (with the help of a friend) from Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Spirit Caller, and to make my real deck as good as the one in the game, I would have to exchange about 21 cards of my 40 card deck . I bet I would have to change the deck even more so if I were to try playing today, though I'm not sure how many of the cards in my deck are banned other than Call of the Haunted (if that's still banned, anyway).

Awh, really? Damn I missed it X.X

Anyway, lol with the Vampire Lord deck... I'm actually not familiar with what that centers around. And personally, I hate all the new crap they brought out (Blackwing/Machina) so w00t older cards
PS - CotH isn't banned, it's limited.

2.9.10 - First Bass FSFC
Qarx  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I actually forgot what went into either deck, so it's time to boot up my copy of the game and list them off! Oh, and lol at the deck name: "Nosferatu in color!" XD.

Breaker the Magical Warrior
Cyber Dragon x 2
D.D. Warrior Lady
Dandylion
Jinzo
Magician of Faith
Marshmallon
Patrician of Darkness x 2
Pyramid Turtle x 3
Reflect Bounder
Sangan
Spirit Reaper
Treeborn Frog
Vampire Lord x 3
Zaborg the Thunder Monarch
Book of Life x 3
Brain Control
Enemy Controller
Graceful Charity
Heavy Storm
Mystical Space Typhoon
Nobleman of Crossout
Premature Burial
Shield Crash
Smashing Ground x 2
Snatch Steal (lol banned, at least in this game)
Call of the Haunted
Mirror Force
Ring of destruction
Torrential Tribute
Widespread Ruin

My real deck is as follows:

Vampire Lord x 3
Pyramid Turtle x 3
Patrician of Darkness
Sangan
Magician of Faith
Spirit Reaper
Ryu Kokki
Gravekeeper's Guard
Soul-Absorbing Bone Tower x 2
Regenerating Mummy x 3
Night Assailant
Book of Life x 3
Book of Moon
Swords of Revealing Light
Fissure
Lightning Vortex
Nobleman of Extermination
Mystical Space Typhoon
Heavy Storm
Premature Burial
Graceful Charity
Nobleman of Crossout
Sakuretsu Armor x 3
Trap Hole
Magic Cylinder
Dust Tornado
Call of the Haunted
Torrential Tribute

Yeah, that wasn't in much of an order outside of Monster-Spell-Trap, but that's my deck lol. Pretty funny, no? I don't even know what cards are out now that might benefit my deck even further. It preformed pretty well in the game, with the exception of against a Macro Cosmos deck if I can't MST etc. it lol.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Xpertlefty13  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qarx wrote:
Heh, I actually forgot what went into either deck, so it's time to boot up my copy of the game and list them off! Oh, and lol at the deck name: "Nosferatu in color!" XD.

[lists]

Yeah, that wasn't in much of an order outside of Monster-Spell-Trap, but that's my deck lol. Pretty funny, no? I don't even know what cards are out now that might benefit my deck even further. It preformed pretty well in the game, with the exception of against a Macro Cosmos deck if I can't MST etc. it lol.

Ah, I see, focuses on the graveyard.

Also, nice thing you said it at the bottom, or I was gonna go on a rant about my deck

Also, that lightsworn friend is also making a zombie deck... I REALLY need to get him in here now ;D

2.9.10 - First Bass FSFC
kisstherain  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Lightsworn, Zombie, Earthbound Reply with quote

Lightsworn are my favorite cards right now. I can't wait till they reprint Judgment Dragon cause the price is supposed to drop. Which is great considering JD is like, 40 bucks at the cheapest. But Macro does a great job of completely shutting down LS, as Lightsworn is all about self-milling [sending cards from the top of your deck to the graveyeard], and then special summoning or something.

JD [3000 att] is the key card in LS decks. He can only be special summoned when theres 4 or more lightsworn cards in your grave with different names [however this is very easy to accomplish with all the self-milling effects of lightsworn], but when hes special summoned, you can pay 1000 to clear the field. Every single lightsworn monster makes you mill at X amount of cards. With all those cards removed from play, LS is screwed.

Foolish Burial and Wulf is a great card combo.
Wulf is a 5* monster with 2100 att, but when he's sent from the deck to the grave, he is automatically special summoned therefore, when he's milled he's special summoned. Foolish Burial is a spell that allows you to discard one card from your deck to the grave, which is basically an instant special summon of Wulf.

Although each lightsworn monster makes you mill cards, they're are benefits from each one. Milling JD isn't that big a deal either because with cards like Monster Reincarnation you can discard 1 card and bring him back to your hand, and then just special him if you have 4 different LS in the grave.

Lightsworns have topped the most decks in local, regional, and shonen jump NATIONAL tournaments [along with Blackwings, Machinas, Gladiator Beasts, Twilight, and the long list of OTK decks]. However, the deck that gives Lightsworn most trouble (besdes Macro), seem to be zombies. I've seen many matchups where zombies beat the living shit outta LS. Which is why I love both so much D

Zombie decks are effective in that they have the capabilites of swarming the field as well as Blackwings, but they do it from the graveyard, rather than the hand. Also, they're more versatile, because with cards like Il Blud and Zombie World, you can special summon your OPPONENTS monsters from their graveyard. lolpwn. But with Macro, the graveyard is usually almost non-existant.. So that takes away everything that the zombie deck is about. Plus the fact that most zomebie tribute monsters have low attack power.

For a while I tried to run an Earthbound Immortal Deck.
Earthbound Immortals are all dark monster cards. Each of them require two tributes and a field card MUST be on the field, or else the earthbound is destroyed. Every earthbound immortal has the unique ability to attack your opponents life points directly, even if your opponent has a monster(s) on the field. In addition, every earthbound has its own unique effect. There are many many OTK combos involving earthbounds due to the high attack power they possess. There are also many earthbound support cards, such as Earthbound Revival, Roar Of The Earthbound, and Earthbound Wave. Earthbound Revival allows you to select one earthbound immortal and one field spell from your grave and add them to your hand. Earthbound Wave and Roar Of The Earthbound destroy and negates one of your opponents spells/traps.

In my earthbound deck, I ran 3 Double Coston. Double Coston is a card that acts as two tributes for a dark monster. This allowed me to get my earthbounds out with one tribute. I also used other cards as tribute fodder, such as Spirit Reaper and Marshmallon, because they aren't destroyed by battle. Cards like Mystical Tomato, and Masked Dragon served as great tribute material, because if one was destroyed by battle before you get the chance to tribute him, you could special summon another one from your deck.

Mausoleum Of The Emporer is a field spell that allows you to pay multipules of 1000 life points equal to the number of tribute monsters you would need for a tribute summon, so I wouldn't need to tribute. This is a key card in just about every earthbound deck, along with Terraforming, which allows you to search out a field spell from your deck.

Because an earthbound is destroyed when there isn't a spell card, I ran cards that prevented the destruction of spells such as Dark Bribe, Magic Jammer, and Seven Tools Of The Bandit. Cards like Royal Decree (trap cards cannot be activated) are also useful when your earthbound attacks, because it protects you from cards like Magic Cylinder, Sakuretsu Armor, and Dimensional Prison. Also, Royal Decree will protect the earthbound from being destroyed/removed by cards like Trap Hole, Bottemless Trap Hole, and Torrential Tribute.
FC Number of the Beast [_]
2009 Georgia State 14U Boys Cross-Country Champions
2010 Georgia State 14U Boys 1600 Meter Champion

Last edited by kisstherain on Fri May 28, 2010 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love running a Gladiator Beast deck.

On an online Yu-Gi-Oh game I use to play, I ran a Gladiator Beast deck, and lost only about 2 or 3 times, all of them to LS decks. Gladiator Beast is so powerful, it's not even funny. I would gladly run one in real life, but the $$$ to create one is so high, unless I can find a cheap one on Ebay or something.

I also use to go to tournaments with a friend of mine here ("Sanctioned" tournaments at that), and to my surprise, everyone there looked like they were 18+, which surprised me. I thought it would be all little kids and shit, but since it's an official tournament and stuff, it's for serious people only. Wasn't much fun (atleast not playing wise), as I ran a Season 1 deck XD People there were pulling off combos and using cards whose effects I didn't even know.
Xpertlefty13  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:

On an online Yu-Gi-Oh game I use to play, I ran a Gladiator Beast deck, and lost only about 2 or 3 times, all of them to LS decks. Gladiator Beast is so powerful, it's not even funny. I would gladly run one in real life, but the $$$ to create one is so high, unless I can find a cheap one on Ebay or something.

I also use to go to tournaments with a friend of mine here ("Sanctioned" tournaments at that), and to my surprise, everyone there looked like they were 18+, which surprised me. I thought it would be all little kids and shit, but since it's an official tournament and stuff, it's for serious people only. Wasn't much fun (atleast not playing wise), as I ran a Season 1 deck XD People there were pulling off combos and using cards whose effects I didn't even know.

Yeah, unfortunately, to keep people buying, they had to make the cards bigger and better, and keep making them, so we're at the point we're at today.

Also, maybe the grand prize was a car? But at all the tournaments I go to, kisstherain, two of our other friends and I are the only ones under 18. I think it's because the stuff costs so much.

Sarg, how much do you know about Gladiator Beast decks? Like, enough to write something to go in the OP? ... *winkwink*

2.9.10 - First Bass FSFC
NfskMjmMal2  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to love Yu-Gi-Oh (the cards and the TV show), but I kind of stopped playing when they came out with so many new cards with crazy effects that trying to compile a good deck without having to spend tons of money was almost impossible. I remember when if you had a Dark Magician, you were beast, and if you had a Blue Eyes White Dragon, you were unstoppable. Now there are dozens of level ones and twos that tear them apart, jeez.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpertlefty13 wrote:

Sarg, how much do you know about Gladiator Beast decks? Like, enough to write something to go in the OP? ... *winkwink*

Ha, not at all. The only reason I even found out about it, was I saw it did good at nationals (2nd? Or did it come in first? Hmm.) and thought "Hey, that might be a kick-ass deck", found out the cards, and made it online. Although it was long ago, I do know (I believe) that the Gladiator beast deck is extremely situational. As in, depending on how many monsters your opponent has on the field, how many spell/trap cards, etc. depends on which Gladiator Beast you special summon.

I'm sure I could some up with SOMETHING worthwhile, given enough time and research (such as, finding the effects of the cards. For some reason, I can not remember effects of cards unless I have them right in front of me.) Lemme see what I can come up with.
kisstherain  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:

actually, Gladiator Beasts really aren't all that much. at least in comparison on lightsworn. just go out and buy yourself maybe 10-15 Gladiator's Assault Booster Packs. You can buy them in lots of 5 booster packs (each lot for $14.00 [plus shipping]) on www.amazon.com. You should get MOST of what you need in there. And you could also go to a local yugioh tournament and trade. Good luck, and happy dueling
FC Number of the Beast [_]
2009 Georgia State 14U Boys Cross-Country Champions
2010 Georgia State 14U Boys 1600 Meter Champion
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I think you should do is list the cards in each deck in the OP. Whoever makes the list for the deck, you can just link it to that post in the OP, just for those who might want to try to build one of the decks.
Xpertlefty13  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
Another thing I think you should do is list the cards in each deck in the OP. Whoever makes the list for the deck, you can just link it to that post in the OP, just for those who might want to try to build one of the decks.

Little things vary in each deck. You might want to put different monarchs in, or switch some trap cards in a macro deck, for instance. Very rarely will/should you play a deck the exact same as yours. It's not too hard to look up stuff on http://yugioh.wikia.com/ so I guess I should link that in the OP.

2.9.10 - First Bass FSFC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: