ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The league-ish rivalry to obliterate GH on all difficulties.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robbert  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: The league-ish rivalry to obliterate GH on all difficulties. Reply with quote

Inspired by the rivalry between psxfreak vs silverswift, I want to set up a similar rivalry. But before I set all of this up, I want to gauge interest.

The idea
The idea is to start one massive rivalry which is free for anyone on any skill level to join. This rivalry will mimic a league setup: players can submit their scores and will be allocated points accordingly. Heck, I'll even use the same formula the leagues are using to keep it fair and balanced, no matter the number of users. Contrary to leagues, you can not drop out as there won't be any play-offs. There is no penalty for not submitting any scores: you'll simply get 0 points.
This rivalry will encompass all console-based Guitar Hero games and Band Hero on all difficulties except Beginner.

Each game will be split into several divisions. These are similar to the league divisions, with the addition of Easy and Medium will get two divisions from the start: one for beginners and one for expert medium players. If there's very few players for a single division, it'll be scrapped to keep things as clean as possible. Easy will be a single division.

You can sign up for as many divisions as you want, at any time you want.

You do not need all games to enter! If you want, you can sign up for a single game only, but beware that you might not playing songs for several weeks if you do that.
You also don't have to sign up for all difficulty leagues if you only want to play on a single difficulty. So, you can participate in just the GH3 Expert league, while someone else wants to do all games on all difficulties.

Anyone can join a division at any time and they will immediately be legible to enter the scores for that week. You can not enter scores of the rounds that have been finished as that would be unfair to anyone who participated in that round.

My idea is that a round will last one week and during that one week, you'll get three random songs. So, you'll play 12 songs per week, maximum.

Implementation
If there's enough interest, I'll write a web application which will allow you to:
- enroll in divisions
- submit scores
- view division standings
- view round results

Results will be posted to 1 or more threads on SH depending on how many things are running.

Leaderboards can be filtered on rounds in which you didn't participate. This way, you can skip the weeks in which you didn't submit scores for whatever reason. Of course, the earlier you join, the more points you can get.

Games which have different base scores will be treated as different games (e.g.: GH2 and GH3 for PS2 and the other consoles) since the resulting scores can differ.
This way, you'll never lose to someone who simply has more notes in his chart. To see what I mean with this, look at the chart of Surrender for GH2 on any difficulty but Expert for both the PS2 and the 360: there's a big discrepancy.

That's the idea, globally. It's a lot of work to write the proper, bug-free software to support this and I don't want to invest time if there's no interest.

My questions to you:
- Would you join such a rivalry and actively participate?
- Would you like more or less songs per week?
- Do you have any suggestions or tips?
- Is this a good idea?

If you have any questions or if you feel that I was unclear, let me know and I'll try to clear things up.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: UpgradePolecat
bushidox  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 100% support this idea. I will gladly turn over my similar idea to you to run, since it sounds like you have things a great deal more organized. I think that 3 songs is right in the sweet spot where you could likely get the most players interested in it. I really am interested in seeing how well the automation of the process works, and I personally would be interested in both Medium and Hard difficulties. While Conlan's rivalry is great, not having anything for lower difficulties could be daunting for some. I know for sure that if you are including Medium and Easy that Cabanon, Dr.Sham and Spoonman would be on board, as they dominate those two difficulties. Having it encompass all 12 games would also garner the most support as people could pick and choose which games they want/have to play on. Good luck!
The Unofficial Score Hero GH Guitar leaderboard for X/H/M/E: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1638203#1638203
The Unofficial Score Hero RB Guitar leaderboard for X/H/M/E: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=703852#703852
The Unofficial Score Hero Bass GH leaderboard for X/H/M/E: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107740
The Unofficial Score Hero Bass RB leaderboard for X/H/M/E: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=703842#703842
The Unofficial Cross Platform FGFC leaderboard for X/H/M/E: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108548
Chrisssss  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea... could give me a bit of motivation to try and finish up easy mode and get as close to FSFC on medium as possible (still a LONG way to go on each difficulty).

I'll try and give the lower difficulty squeezers a run for their money.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll sign up for GH2,GH3, and GHA. I think 5 songs a week is good. Put me down for Medium Guitar.

Last edited by Deathorath on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Shaffx95  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll sign up too , expert guitar.

Answering your questions, yes, i would actively participate. 4-5 songs per week is enough. And, i loved your idea

The Rock Band Master FC Breakdown Project: RB1 RB2
My Youtube Account: Click Here
elScarecrow  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll do it for WT, M, and 3

Expert gtr, maybe hard if i feel festive
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ESC57
Robbert  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah: console-specific songs will not be played. Sorry, GH2 for 360 owners, but you'll have to obliterate the extra songs yourself. ;)

My first idea was to pick random songs each week, but that is annoying for participants with selective sign ups as it's possible they won't play at all for several weeks.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it's probably better to do it on a per game basis and to finish that game completely before proceeding to the next one. That gives the competition some consistency and doesn't mean you'll have to check each week to see if you have any songs to play.

Thoughts?

Please spread this thread to as many people as you can. The more input, the better.

bushidox wrote:
I 100% support this idea. I will gladly turn over my similar idea to you to run, since it sounds like you have things a great deal more organized. I think that 3 songs is right in the sweet spot where you could likely get the most players interested in it. I really am interested in seeing how well the automation of the process works, and I personally would be interested in both Medium and Hard difficulties. While Conlan's rivalry is great, not having anything for lower difficulties could be daunting for some. I know for sure that if you are including Medium and Easy that Cabanon, Dr.Sham and Spoonman would be on board, as they dominate those two difficulties. Having it encompass all 12 games would also garner the most support as people could pick and choose which games they want/have to play on. Good luck!

What was your idea? Maybe we can work on this together and combine some ideas.
As for the automation: it'd be relatively similar to how the current league interface on SH is working, but with a little more freedom as it's a rivalry, not a league. Scoring algorithms will be easy, but setting it up in a simple and intuitive way may be a bit challenging. :P

When finished, I can always show you the code.

I'd join in on Easy and Medium as well. I have a few firsts on GH:M bass, so I can path a little bit. ;)

@deathorath and shaffx95: 4-5 songs results in 16-20 songs per player per week for a player who joins everything. That's a lot. I think that bushidox is right and that three is the sweet spot, but two might be a good option too since it'll result in only 8 songs per week, max. Leagues prove that most people are willing to play 8 songs in a week.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: UpgradePolecat
infinitefluff  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd join this on Hard and Expert. I need to push myself to get better at playing, not just squeezing. Especially since I seem to be a terrible squeezer. I don't know if I would be able to submit each week though, especially since I'm also in Conlan22's rivalry, but as long as you're ok with just giving me 0 points for that week I'm fine with getting them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbert wrote:

@deathorath and shaffx95: 4-5 songs results in 16-20 songs per player per week for a player who joins everything. That's a lot. I think that bushidox is right and that three is the sweet spot, but two might be a good option too since it'll result in only 8 songs per week, max. Leagues prove that most people are willing to play 8 songs in a week.
Alright, two or three songs per week is fine as well. I am new here so I did not know. I'll be up for anything, just let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably join a game or two on hard if there was enough interest.

Jleggy12  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, count me in I'd love this to happen - a permanent league on SH. I think you may have trouble getting enough numbers on the lower difficulties, but I'd sign for anything on Hard or Expert
11:13 RheaultWnage_: it's -37°C where you live atm alex? :P
11:13 alexhaz64: -45 now/quite the cold front
11:14 Jleggy12: and that's in Kelvin :o
11:14 RheaultWnage_: damn thats pretty cold/-40 K xD/I think -45 is about the coldest I've ever felt
11:14 Jleggy12: round about -300 C :P
11:14 RheaultWnage_: maybe colder than what I've felt
11:14 alexhaz64: -38 >.>
11:15 RheaultWnage_: OH YOURE TALKING ABOUT THE NOTES LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger PSN Name: Jleggy12
Robbert  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went ahead and started some of the coding. Usually, you just have to start it and see what happens. I've got most of the functionality done: you can register your account, sign up for divisions, but not yet post scores. That part shouldn't take too long.
That should wrap up the functional skeleton required to get this up and running. We'll see what features we can add after that, if it's popular enough. Custom leaderboards will be a functionality if there's enough interest.

Currently, it randomly picks three unplayed songs for the current round. I can easily tweak the code to let all songs come from a specific game, should that need arise.

B.nAUght47  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll definetly join, this seems like a great fun idea. put me down X gtr & bass for GHWoR & GHVH

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: BnAUght47 Wii Friend Code: 0810038126955628
Robbert  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.nAUght47 wrote:
i'll definetly join, this seems like a great fun idea. put me down X gtr & bass for GHWoR & GHVH

So far, it is only for Guitar, but Bass is easily added to the mix, of course. If you don't mind playing the same songs on guitar as on bass, then it's all done, already. :P

Progress so far: you can post scores. All that remains are the leaderboards and result calculations. I'm pretty far along with the latter since it's pretty, y'know, necessary, and haven't started the former yet. After that, I'll place it online.

Would some of you like to help me out? I need delimited lists of the songs in the games. The delimiter can be anything as long as it's a list of the titles of the songs. DLC is not required. Sure, I could parse some page, but that's much more error prone than simply writing a small script which parses an ASCII file and most of the lists I find are combined with their respective artists.

bushidox  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this at the bottom of my original post in my thread for months. It is 100% up to date, and I even sorted it by what game it goes on. Feel free to parse your own data from it. All should be accurate except some of the dates. Enjoy.

Spreadsheet of all GH songs: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tZsduIbwX20QPUnQqe1eoDA#gid=0
The Unofficial Score Hero GH Guitar leaderboard for X/H/M/E: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1638203#1638203
The Unofficial Score Hero RB Guitar leaderboard for X/H/M/E: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=703852#703852
The Unofficial Score Hero Bass GH leaderboard for X/H/M/E: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107740
The Unofficial Score Hero Bass RB leaderboard for X/H/M/E: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=703842#703842
The Unofficial Cross Platform FGFC leaderboard for X/H/M/E: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108548
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Rivalries All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: