ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Using a guitar pick to play
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infected  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Using a guitar pick to play Reply with quote

I know this sounds silly, but here goes (flame suit ON). I tried playing GH with a pick a couple days ago and it works out surprisingly well, it has helped my up/down-strumming timing. Has anyone else done this and with what results?
krimsunmunkeys  

Location: The Hall of the SH Council... watching... (not really)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, blackmamba used a pick, and he was a top scorer for a while. He seems to have retired, but his scores still stand and hold him up in 5th place.

I, however, don't use a pick. Mainly because I don't have one to try it with.
Maelstrom  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't play with a pick because my strum bar tends to pop back up hard enough to activate an upstroke sometimes... so yeah, that kills scores haha.
catfish7  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maelstrom wrote:
I don't play with a pick because my strum bar tends to pop back up hard enough to activate an upstroke sometimes... so yeah, that kills scores haha.
Yup that's the flaw in the system.
silentlassassin  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maelstrom wrote:

i played shard dressed man with a pick.... and that stupid thing happened every other note...
rabies  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play with a guitar pick exclusively..am ranked overall in the top 10 on hard...can probably make top 20-30 on expert if I was not too busy trying to achieve 11mil on hard.

I've never had any problems with the strum bar coming back up and activating when I don't want it to....though sometimes I wish I could blame that....
emptyset  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be different for guitarists, because my bassist friend was playing with a pick when we were battling the other day (and overstrumming every other note), and I asked him if he played better with the pick than without it. His response? "I'd never thought of just using my fingers. Maybe I should try that."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this once, and only once. Of course, I'm not a guitarist and had never actually used a pick before that, but I figured it would've worked a little better. Every strum I had resulted in another 1-2 strums afterwards (every once in a while, when I downstrummed I got the upstrum as an accident in addition to a very small downstrum) and I just pretty much failed.

Sad part was the song I was playing was Godzilla on Medium and I still failed before the solo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well bare in mind that all the controllers are not created equally either. I played in a Best Buy the other day and the controller they had there was much tighter feeling (haha) than the one I have. The buttons were more stiff (which I liked) and the strum bar was a good bit more rigid (way less play than mine)

That could be it... I would never think of using extra strokes as an excuse as to why I would do bad using a pick considering I do really play guitar, haha.
Shin  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do the velcro strumbar mod, the strumbar doesn't pop back as fast since control is much tighter. I'd say it should help picking immensely.
Hellion42  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maelstrom wrote:

I have springback when I go to restart a song, among other places... I'd hit start, down, start, and it would flick down to restart and back up to resume and I'd end up back in the game. I tried playing with a pick a few times, but aside from the springback, I found the range of motion too wide and unnatural when trying to play faster alt-picking stuff.

I'll stick to my thumb. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellion42 wrote:
Maelstrom wrote:

I have springback when I go to restart a song, among other places... I'd hit start, down, start, and it would flick down to restart and back up to resume and I'd end up back in the game.

hahah that same thing happens to me.. whenever I miss the first sp on texas flood.. I do that every freaking time..
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shin wrote:
If you do the velcro strumbar mod, the strumbar doesn't pop back as fast since control is much tighter. I'd say it should help picking immensely.

I must've missed that mod. Which ones is that again?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HylianHero wrote:
Shin wrote:

See my post in this topic:
http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=792
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shin wrote:
HylianHero wrote:
Shin wrote:

See my post in this topic:
http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=792

Hm. I see. So this mod actually does work right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: