ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH5 Guitar Tournament, 22 November, Univ of Akron, Akron, OH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajanata  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: GH5 Guitar Tournament, 22 November, Univ of Akron, Akron, OH Reply with quote

I know this is somewhat last-minute, but the details have taken a while to hammer out. The Student Chapter of the ACM at the University of Akron (Ohio) are holding a fundraiser for Child's Play this coming Sunday, November the 22nd from 1PM to 10PM in the Ballroom in the Student Union. "There will be free food, a LAN, console games, tabletop gaming, a guitar hero tournament, and much more!"

I will be running the GH tournament. The plan is to run GH5 Guitar Pro Faceoff, double-elimination (unless time and number of participants prevents this), with best-of-3 matches. Unfortunately, difficulty will likely depend on how many people are participating, and what the consensus of those people are -- however there will be no mixing of difficulties (the entire bracket will be on the same difficulty), and will be at least hard. First prize is a $50 gift certificate to Exchange (video game store) (sorry, only website we could find!) and second/consolation prize is a "Practically-New-In-Box Sega Genesis".
Admission to the entire event is $20 if you pre-register, or $25 at the door (or equivalent in new or used (based on median Amazon/eBay price) games or toys). There is no additional entry fee for the GH tournament.

The tournament will be run on two Xbox 360s*. Only GH5 on-disc songs (including GH Tunes) will be available. Hyperspeed is allowed, and Focus Mode is required (to save time by preventing people from wanting to change their character). You are allowed to bring your own controller. The best-of-3 format will be each player will choose a song, and a random song will be chosen using random.org's list randomizer if there is a tie after the first two songs. Only score will be used to determine the winner. Each player may choose a song only once; however a given song may be chosen against them by another player or at random any number of times.

A start time for the tournament has not been decided yet, but will likely not be until after 3:00 (to give me ample time to set up the consoles and ensure lag settings are correct).

Park in the Exchange Street parking deck (Lot 39 on the Google Maps link above), and enter from Carroll Street (construction has the Exchange Street entrance closed). Parking Services doesn't check the lots on Sunday, so don't worry about them. The Ballroom is on the 3rd (top) floor of the Student Union. For those of you requiring an address (for a GPS, perhaps), it is 303 Carroll St., Akron, OH 44325-0016.

I know this isn't guaranteed to be an expert tournament, but if enough ScoreHero people show up, you might have enough weight to get it to be one. Even if it ends up not being one, you can still have a lot of fun doing the other events that will be going on, and you can feel good for having donated to a good cause.

*: We're hoping to have GH5 on two Xbox 360s, but only have one confirmed GH5 disc at the moment (and are working on getting a second). If someone would bring along a spare 360 GH5 disc (and post here stating such), that would be awesome.

EDIT: Seeding will be done by a single run on a random song greater than or equal to 2 minutes and 30 seconds in length and less than or equal to 4 minutes in length (this includes 39 songs by my count), to be determined in the presence of at least 2 participants. Highest score = #1 seed, and so on. Ties will be resolved by the person who did their run the earliest. As soon as one station is set up properly, seed runs will be allowed to start (so, probably around 1:30) and will run until the tournament begins. You may forfeit a seed run and take a score of 0, but I'm not sure why you would want to. Seeding will be done on expert regardless of what difficulty will be decided for the tournament.

Last edited by ajanata on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:20 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ajanata
ChadV  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wholly endorse attending this event.

Chad Vincent
Social Director
Student Chapter of the ACM at The University of Akron

.... :P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably be there, not 100% sure, but I may be in Akron on sunday anyways, so, woo
ravagetalon  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man... why can't there be tourneys near me... Closest one was in south jersey like 4 months ago.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll most likely be there, but I can provide a GH5 disc either way.

My GH Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/dpoeschl
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: dpoeschl
MrPink  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpoeschl wrote:
I'll most likely be there, but I can provide a GH5 disc either way.

dave i might wanna go to this its been so long since i've been to a tourney i'm feening for one lol i might get a ride to ur house if u dont mind and we can go together, u got my number if not pm me and i'll give it to you. holla!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey ajanta it should be a gh2 tourney lol that would be great

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a little late to change it but we can probably throw GH2 in for a bit to mess around.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrPink wrote:
hey ajanta it should be a gh2 tourney lol that would be great

I'll learn the Arterial Black path tonight just in case. :P

My GH Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/dpoeschl
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: dpoeschl
MrPink  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave come pick me up lol j/k i wish i could come i asked my mom if she can drive me or let me use the car but shes mad at me, im in the dog house with her i got in trouble with the law a couple weeks ago n had to spend a couple nights in the slammer n she had to spend alot of money to get me out so shes not doing anything for me until she cools off maybe next time and dave u gotta let me know of tourneys like at least a week in advanced but i understand y you wouldnt want to cause ur scared of me stealing ur thunder lol cause im the best......j/k

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so who won this????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: