Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Megadeth question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mninp  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Megadeth question Reply with quote

I have almost all Megadeth albums, but I'm wondering if I should get the original recordings as well as the remastered versions. I have all the remastered ones. Is it worth it to pay like 15 bucks for the original versions, or should I just stick to the remastered editions?
WyldeDime5150  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with the remasters. Unless you are an uber-hardcore fan, I really don't see the point in paying for a lower quality version of albums you already own.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WyldeDime5150 wrote:
Stick with the remasters. Unless you are an uber-hardcore fan, I really don't see the point in paying for a lower quality version of albums you already own.

Except get the original of "These Boots." That way, it's not raped by censorship!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original version of Killing Is My Business... is horrendous. The sound quality is almost as low as Metallica's No Life Till Leather demo. Also I believe the remastered version of Countdown to Extinction has the demo for Symphony of Destruction...they should have gone with the demo version for the album. It's awesome.

Custom Guitar Paint Jobs (Submit Yours!)
Proud supporter of EWiggen's Grilled Cheese and GH Combo
socrstopr wrote:
This thread is very disturburbing. Also terrible.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Head0nFire86
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really up to why you would buy them. If you're a huge Megadeth fan and just want the originals for collection sake, then by all means, go for it. I buy records of some of my favorite albums solely for collection sake, I don't even have a record player. It seems like this was your intent too, as if you just wanted to listen to them then there is no reason to have two copies.

If, though, you were buying them to hear their original sound quality, like others said, I would avoid it. The quality of the originals can be horrendous. Even if it's not as far as "horrendous," it's never as good as the remastered tracks.
vosnos  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say buy them. It would definitely give your collection a more authentic and complete feel. You'll be happy you did it in the long run I'm sure. Although I'm not a Megadeth fan, I would definitely appreciate some original recordings of my own favorite artists.

VISIT MY ACC. THREAD! | MY BANNERS | I LIKE SHOES

1ofakind  

Location: San Jose, CA (More specificly, Scotts Valley but their close enough together.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stick with the remasters, unless you like to collect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id say its up to u, but for me personaly, id get it
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure you could find the originals on ebay for really cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of Course you need to get the originals. Originals are ALWAYS > than remasters IMO. They're well.. original.. less touched by record label douchebags, more authentic artwork and most importantly - the album as it was intended to be heard by the band for the first time. That's priceless. Let me tell you what, I have the original Peace Sells... Sure, the sound quality isn't that great - but it doesn't matter at all. I am much happier about having it in my collection than my remastered edition on Rust in Peace.

And whoever was saying that Original Metal albums on Ebay were cheap... No. Absolutely not. You're going to pay anywhere from 30-80+ dollars for a big name band's original print on Ebay. I paid $73 for my Don't Break the Oath. Oh yeah, at let me tell you: I am more proud to have that in my collection than most other CD's. I've actually seen Possessed's Seven Churches sell for over $200. (I backed out around 90 ><). If you want original CD's, sometimes you can get lucky in the used bargain bin at your mall.

My GF found original Piece of Time by Atheist for $6. I found the above-mentioned Peace Sells... at the same mall for $8. People trade in these things (non-metalheads ><) for like $2 not knowing their worth, and the company that buys them has no idea how much money they could get and company policy says throw it in the bargain bin. Major score for collectors IF you get lucky.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im lucky, cuz i have all the original in my cds collection lol. i should sell them and make big doughs !

btw. you are true, local shop may have them even cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
Of Course you need to get the originals. Originals are ALWAYS > than remasters IMO. They're well.. original.. less touched by record label douchebags, more authentic artwork and most importantly - the album as it was intended to be heard by the band for the first time. That's priceless. Let me tell you what, I have the original Peace Sells... Sure, the sound quality isn't that great - but it doesn't matter at all. I am much happier about having it in my collection than my remastered edition on Rust in Peace.

Once again you've proven to stereotypically enjoy certain things for the wrong reasons. Off the top of my head I can name 3 albums that disprove your Original Superiority theory.

Megadeth - Killing is My Business: Most of the money was spent on drugs, alcohol, and god knows what else. That's why the quality is so low. You think this is how they really wanted it to be heard? You've got to be kidding me.

Suffocation - Breeding the Spawn: The band wanted a certain producer and the label would have none of it. So they unwillingly recorded this album under different means and had an overall horrible experience. The end result was a poorly produced album by disgruntled musicians. Again, not what was intended, yet original.

Malevolent Creation - Stillborn: Same as that Suffocation album, only they were DROPPED from their label after it was released.

There are more examples and also exceptions, but your claim is flat out wrong.
MetalheadNorm wrote:
And whoever was saying that Original Metal albums on Ebay were cheap... No. Absolutely not. You're going to pay anywhere from 30-80+ dollars for a big name band's original print on Ebay. I paid $73 for my Don't Break the Oath. Oh yeah, at let me tell you: I am more proud to have that in my collection than most other CD's. I've actually seen Possessed's Seven Churches sell for over $200. (I backed out around 90 ><). If you want original CD's, sometimes you can get lucky in the used bargain bin at your mall.

As someone who actually collects CDs, I can tell you're basing the entire collecting scene on a few personal experiences you've had on ebay. Not all originals sell ridiculously high. There are multiple circumstances that determine a rare album's selling price. But with a mere 85 CDs, I can't expect you to have much experience with collecting.

MetalheadNorm wrote:
My GF found original Piece of Time by Atheist for $6. I found the above-mentioned Peace Sells... at the same mall for $8. People trade in these things (non-metalheads ><) for like $2 not knowing their worth, and the company that buys them has no idea how much money they could get and company policy says throw it in the bargain bin. Major score for collectors IF you get lucky.

The third paragraph here is the only one that's accurate in any way, shape, or form. As said above, not all original prints are rare or expensive and you CAN strike gold if you know where to look. I found Nuclear Assault's Survive (a gem among collectors) for $6 and Celtic Frost's Cold Lake for $4.

To address the thread, the only original Megadeth album you should seek out is Killing is My Business for it's unedited version of These Boots. The remasters butchered it with BEEPS. Seek the rest if you're a collector but don't be proud because you paid a lot for an older disc, be proud because you actually enjoy the music.

Norm wrote:
I guess all the people who knew anything about Metal got left behind in the last Metal Thread...
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply simply simply put:

For the music? Get the remasters (including an unedited version or original of These Boots)

If your a serious collector, get the originals. I am a music whore and I am willing to admit it, I will buy ever single Black Sabbath remaster regardless if they didn't even change the quality. I am a whore and therefor must own every single fucking CD they have.

Whoever told you drug addiction is bad, believe me, metal addiction is much worse.

Edit: Or you can do what I do, get the highest quality on your PC and keep the originals stashed in a deep underground vault guarded by an army half the size of russia, which is what every sane metalhead does.
Majestic122  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the original Rust In Peace for the original vocals on Take No Prisoners and Five Magics. Also, I like the sound a bit better on the original than on the remaster. Too bad I do have the remaster (don't get me wrong, the remastered Rust In Peace is still the best album I've got).
Quote:
Originals are ALWAYS > than remasters IMO.

Nope. KIMB and SFSGSW easily disprove this, in my opinion of course.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Nixxin: Just so you know, I'm at 104 now ><

I also know that not all first prints sell ridiculously high on ebay, it's just that a lot do especially the bigger name bands.

Also, I don't own the 3 examples you gave, so no comment. I just find myself enjoying original CD's more so than remasters because I don't care for added on bonus tracks, re-mixes, demos and alternate versions tacked onto the end of the track list.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: