ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
$15 worth of Dream Theater.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OCEAT  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: $15 worth of Dream Theater. Reply with quote

Having acquired an iTunes gift card this season, I plan to buy some DT on iTunes, adding to my already purchased Octavarium. I was thinking of getting either Metropolis, pt. 2 or Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and then some singles, but now I think I'll get Met. full album and The War Inside My Head and The Test That Stumped Them All, which due to the way Apple prices things adds up to $15.

Which DT album is better as a whole, Met. or SDOIT? Or is there another? How different are these albums from Octavarium, which on some tracks leans towards Muse?
Thanks!

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
Kashic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are incredibly amazing, but I think I'm going to have to say "Metropolis Pt. 2" is better. Or, you know, "Awake" is pretty amazing too.

If you only have $15, then I guess you should do "Met Pt. 2" and some songs from "6DoIT" or "Awake" give them a listen for yourself, and see what you like better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Trippolette
retop56  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest with you I think that Metropolis Pt.2 is a beast of an album. You should get that and then get The Mind Beside Itself series from Awake. It's three songs, which are Erotomania, Voices, and The Silent Man. Shit's dope.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with retop.

Although I will say this.

Six Degrees has alot more variety to it (The thrash metal'esque Glass Prison, The beautiful Blind Faith, The melancholic Misunderstood, the experimental Great Debate, the depressing Disappear, and finally the epic Six Degrees).

And personally, I believe both these albums are FAR superior to Octavarium (Granted the only tracks on Octavarium i truly loved were These Walls, Sacrificed sons and the title track). As I found both Systematic Chaos and Octavarium a little too "modern" and not enough prog metal goodness.

Also, if you like stuff like The Test that Stumped them all and War Inside my Head, I'd highly suggest looking at Train of Thought. It's a dark progressive shredfest basically.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
JLynn  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the two, definitely get Metropolis, Part 2 as a whole album. I would hold off on getting Six Degrees until you can buy the whole album, though. Tracks 6-13 are really all one piece of work, again, demanding to be listened to all at once.
Azuarc  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six Degrees is my least favorite DMT album, barring maybe their very first album. Other people have asked me why, and I'm not exactly sure. I just flat out don't like it. I do like their other albums across the board, but if you're looking to buy ONE album, I would buy Images and Words. If you want a second choice, then go with Scenes From a Memory (aka Metropolis.)

This differs from what a lot of DMT fans will likely say, as many of them tend to dislike Falling Into Infinity. Understandably so, considering the breakaway in style that was imposed upon them by their label. I do actually like FII though, and my favorite song is off that (The Wasteland)...although The Count of Tuscany off their latest offering is threatening to replace that.

I can make recommendations for anything that has come since Six Degrees as well -- Train of Thought, Octavarium, Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds & Silver Linings are all good albums. But if you want a place to start, Images & Words or Scenes From a Memory are where it's at.
karatechess  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azuarc wrote:
But if you want a place to start, Images & Words or Scenes From a Memory are where it's at.

This. I strongly suggest both of those albums. 6 Degrees is a pretty good album, but it's definitely NOT one to start on. Do NOT get their first album, it's not good. IMO of course. But them again, I hate Pull Me Under, and its on Images and Words, so I'd go with Scenes from a Memory. There's not a song on there that I dislike.
OCEAT  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, bought Scenes From A Memory. So far it's pretty cool; I'll listen to the full thing tonight. Also bought The War Inside My Head and The Test That Stumped Them Al.., which are all right by themselves, but I wonder what the full album is like...
Also, is DMT an acronym for Dream (Majesty) Theater? Or just DreaM Theater?
Thanks everyone!

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
uLtRasHoT  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OCEAT wrote:
Alright, bought Scenes From A Memory. So far it's pretty cool; I'll listen to the full thing tonight. Also bought The War Inside My Head and The Test That Stumped Them Al.., which are all right by themselves, but I wonder what the full album is like...
Also, is DMT an acronym for Dream (Majesty) Theater? Or just DreaM Theater?
Thanks everyone!

I believe it's most likely DreaM Theater, although I haven't really seen that thrown around too much, as opposed to other band acronyms (like STP for Stone Temple Pilots).

A few other albums by Dream Theater that you might enjoy would be these, but it might depend on the style of Dream Theater music you like:

If you like more fast-paced or heavier metal, then I recommend getting Train of Thought. Although most of the songs are more than 10 minutes in length, it does have some of Dream Theater's most unique blend of prog and metal, including some things that they haven't done before, including some Kid Rock-sounding lyrical sections. Some of their "heaviest" songs are also on this album.

On the other hand, if you like the more progressive side of Dream Theater, then I would definitely recommend Octavarium and Systematic Chaos. Systematic Chaos has their song featured in Rock Band as DLC, "Constant Motion," which in my opinion is one of their best songs due to Petrucci's amazing guitar work on the solos. I still suck at the solo on Rock Band :p

Hope this helps you in buying future Dream Theater stuff, even though I saw you already bought some stuff, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already bought something but I was gonna suggest the Metropolis DVD, its pretty nice.
Though of course the actual album is better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: