ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Official Pixies Fanbase

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chummo  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: The Official Pixies Fanbase Reply with quote

For all things Pixies related! Pixies fans unite!

Kim Deal = god
and to get things a rollin,
Surfer Rosa > Doolittle > Come On Pilgrim > Trompe le Monde >Bossanova.
imo.

-----------------------------------------
http://www.pixiesmusic.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixies

http://www.last.fm/music/Pixies

Check out my GH2 Stats and my GH3 Stats!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: Chummo
vosnos  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for making this thread! I fucking love the Pixies. Black Francis is such an incredible singer and Kim Deal is just an awesome person. Gotta love David Lovering too, his drumming is definitely essential to the Pixies' sound. I saw them last month on the 20th Anniversary Doolittle Tour and they were just amazing. Black Francis still managed to sound just like he did 20 years ago which is no easy feat with all the screaming and growling mixed in with the songs. They did all their other hits (Gigantic, Where Is My Mind, Velouria, Nimrod's Son, etc) and some B-sides. Probably the best concert I've ever been to.

I read on the Wikipedia article that they're trying to record another album next year so I can't wait for that. I wish I could've gotten the Minotaur box set as well, but it's so damn expensive lol.

VISIT MY ACC. THREAD! | MY BANNERS | I LIKE SHOES

thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best band evar. Well, not quite, but not far off. I'm not the sort of person to have heroes... but if I were, Kim Deal would pretty much be it.

IMO: Doolittle > Surfer Rosa/Come On Pilgrim > Bossanova > Trompe Le Monde. But to be honest, I don't think they've ever done a song I didn't like.

I've seen 'em twice, both times at festivals soon after they got back together. I don't think I need to explain how incredible it was. Picture the scene: late night, after dark, a few fires burning, Kim and the boys up there playing Where Is My Mind?, my friend and I dancing like loons and singing at the top of our lungs... good fuckin' times. I still have the (fairly stupid) Russian naval officer's hat I was wearing at the time, it was dubbed the Pixies Appreciation Hat. We may have been drinking...

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Twang  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Pixies Fanbase Reply with quote

Chummo wrote:
Surfer Rosa > Doolittle > Come On Pilgrim > Trompe le Monde >Bossanova.

Switch Doolittle and Come on Pilgrim, and I agree.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
The-B.O.D.  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, to me Doolittle has the best combination of songwriting and audio quality, with it being one of their better financed albums. Also, Joey Santiago is a commendable guitarist for taking very few notes, and putting tons of emotion into each one. His solos are all very amazing.
Beedlebub  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixies are probably my favourite band ever. I have spent a lot of time on the internet looking for fan made recordings of Pixies concerts, I've got an extremely dodgy recording of The Navajo Know on my iPod that is really awesome. I've memorised pretty much all their song lyrics and I think their music has a quality to it that I haven't seen in any other bands, all of their songs sound different and unique (ignoring obvious ones like The Happening/The Thing).

And I think it goes like this: Surfer Rosa > Trompe Le Monde > Doolittle > Bossanova > Come On Pilgrim

The thing is, I wouldn't want to see them live, as nowadays they aren't as good as they used to be, Frank can't hit the same notes as he could and he has ruined Where Is My Mind with the chorus. I prefer to keep them in my memory as they were in the 90s. I can criticize a few of their songs, and it's mainly their singles or popular songs that I'm not a big fan of. Gigantic is the worst song on Surfer Rosa, it doesn't seem as inventive or clever as the other songs. I'm not a big fan of Velouria either, and stuff like Planet Of Sound and Head On don't seem like a lot of thought went into them. My favourite songs are probably B-Sides, like Dancing The Manta Ray or Bailey's Walk.

But I have to love Pixies for really getting me into music, I wasn't a big music person, but once I got into Pixies (through Doolittle appearing in RB, Silver was the first Pixies song I ever heard) it opened up so many doors for me.

God damnit.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RudiganRex PSN Name: Beedlebub-
Macaron11  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doolittle > Surfer Rosa > Come On Pilgrim > Bossanova > Trompe Le Monde

I hope to hit 300 plays of Hey this year, but I don't think I can D:
Chummo  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone starts off listening to Doolittle, then, hungering for more, they check out Surfer Rosa, and then the other albums. I used to love Doolittle too pieces, and still do, but after many many Surfer Rosa listens, I think I like it better. The rawer sound suits the Pixies so much better I think

And I recently picked up loudQUIETloud, a documentary on the Pixies comeback tour in 2004 (?). Really cool stuff, it's more about the band members than the music and tour. Check it out if you're interested.

And on that note, I want Surfer Rosa for RB/GH DLC!

Check out my GH2 Stats and my GH3 Stats!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: Chummo
Twang  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chummo wrote:
I think everyone starts off listening to Doolittle, then, hungering for more, they check out Surfer Rosa, and then the other albums.

Nah, not me. I went in chronological order. Granted, this was back when I downloaded all of my songs off of Limewire and looking up the track list on Wiki, so it only made sense. I also did that to download all of the RHCP discography, but in alphabetical order (because I wiki'd "list of Red Hot Chili Peppers albums" and they showed up alphabetically).
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
anarchyintheuk  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love The Pixies so much! My friend gives me shit for liking them and I don't know why. Probably cause he doesn't appreciate what they've done to punk. I really wanna go see them next year when they come to Australia!

Favorite bands:
Green Day
Placebo
Asking Alexandria
System Of A Down
The Beatles
The Living End
My Custom Songs
My YouTube channel. Please Subscribe!
The-B.O.D.  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, just bumping this cause I have a quick question. I was having an argument with my friend a few days ago on whether the pixies were more punk, or classic alternative. Any opinions on the matter?
MetalManiac3021  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The-B.O.D. wrote:
Hey, just bumping this cause I have a quick question. I was having an argument with my friend a few days ago on whether the pixies were more punk, or classic alternative. Any opinions on the matter?

Alternative Rock.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they're pretty much the epitome of alt rock. Alternative took a lot of inspiration from punk, so that may be where the confusion lies.
The-B.O.D.  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, my friend is an idiot haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: