ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Technical Music (that's not metal)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Technical Music (that's not metal) Reply with quote

*gets shot*

Many of us here value technicality in our music of choice. It's interesting to hear a lot of notes at once for a change (just as interesting as hearing only a few notes at once.. for a change). However, some of you despise the technicality card often played by fanboys of bands like Dream Theater and Between the Buried and Me. Also, many of us here listen to metal, a genre which typically employs a bit of technicality. Well we all understand that your favorite metal band is technical and it really doesn't say much out of the ordinary. How about some non metal bands that are reasonably technical? It seems this whole math rock/indie genre has been developing with twinkly complex melodies and odd or whiny vocalists and I must say it rules. Good examples are Maps & Atlases, Algernon Cadwallader, Minus the Bear, American Football, and This Town Needs Guns. Example!

So, technical bands that aren't metal anyone?
Twang  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define technical, and define metal. I could rec some technical hardcore, and that would fit the criteria but it seems to me that that's not what you're looking for.

Try some electronic music, like Aphex Twin, Autechre, etc.

Composers. All types. From Wagner to Stockhausen, shit can get complex.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big Minus the Bear fan myself. (Got a MtB T-Shirt for Christmas actually.)

I'm not sure what you're saying when you mean technical. I guess you mean just very difficult pieces of music that aren't in metal form? I know Porcupine Tree has a lot of complex riffs in some of their songs.

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
Blehgopie  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazz. All of it.

Actually, I don't know anything about Jazz, and I actually don't like it very much...but god damn, what I do know is that Jazz drummers are batshit insane.

tornintwo  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blehgopie wrote:
Jazz. All of it.

Actually, I don't know anything about Jazz, and I actually don't like it very much...but god damn, what I do know is that Jazz drummers are batshit insane.

And how!

Possibly the most technical band I have is Mahavishnu Orchestra. Shit is in-sane.

Warnar wrote:
The elitists attack! Everybody run away!
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blehgopie wrote:
Jazz. All of it.

QFT. My private teacher that taught me everything I knew about music was a jazz drummer, therefore I have a pretty big collection of musicians ranging from Lee Morgan, to Wynton Marsallis in the 90s, to Count Basie, Charlie Parker, Horris Silver, and so on.

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
dabears116  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few prominent ones (not wankery):

65daysofstatic (post-rock/math rock)
Billy Cobham (fusion)
Brand X (fusion)
God Is An Astronaut (post-rock)
Gong (space rock)
Neurosis (hardcore/metalcore/progressive sludge, had a few quicker, non-metal pieces [whilst metalcore] in their early days)
Rodan (post-rock/post-hardcore)
Weather Report (fusion)

For anyone looking for some non-wankery technical death metal/avant-garde bands:
Anata
Augury
Demilich
Gorguts (derp)
Immolation
Lykathea Aflame
Martyr
Pan.Thy.Monium.
Phlebotomized
!T.O.O.H.!

Blehgopie wrote:
Jazz. All of it.

Most jazz isn't the insane shit you see Max Roach or Elvin Jones playing, hell, who said the drums even had to be prominent? Jazz and especially fusion has some amazing drumming, although some of my favorite jazz is stuff like Miles Davis.
tornintwo wrote:
And how!

Possibly the most technical band I have is Mahavishnu Orchestra. Shit is in-sane.
You're confusing jazz/prog fusion with jazz. The majority of the insane shit you guys refer to when thinking of jazz drumming is usually jazz/prog or latin/jazz fusion. Nevertheless, great example, and an exceptional fusion band.

Some guy at my old school once wore a merzbow shirt to class so we all threw stones at him and kicked him in the head until he died lol

Last edited by dabears116 on Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DaBears116
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! First post here. I've lurked for a while and saw this section of the forums just got made when I got home from the Holiday. I'm pretty excited for it.

Yes, most free-form Jazz is pretty technical, and a good bit of it being improvisation.

Outside of metal, I like Drum 'n' Bass (might be my favorite genre). I understand if DnB is not for you, it might be more of an acquired taste than metal when you get into the extreme stuff. The genre is pretty much based around odd time signatures. Some, if not most. of it is 2-Step, which I am kind of down on because I like the waltz/groove feel that triplets bring.

Chase & Status- Glitch
Pendulum - Ransom
Switch Technique - Cursed Angel
Current Value - Dark Rain
Sub Focus - Timewarp

Not the most technical stuff, but a nice sample of what's to come.

Here is some more stuff of the same sort:
Dirtphonics - Quarks This one is my favorites because of the breakdowns. I can see some of the metalfaces bobbing their heads to this one.
Architeq - Birds of Prey This one isn't all that technical but the beat is pretty awesome because I think they are triplets. It is a good example of what I mean when I say "waltz/groove." I'm pretty sure this isn't DnB, but Electronica.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some other good technical math rock/indie bands to listen to: tera melos, so many dynamos, damiera. there is also newer prog, like the mars volta and closure in moscow, that's really technical.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: gamecube rlz PSN Name: mrstuprigge
toymachine  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about something like Don Caballero
SeaMoney  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamecubeRLZ wrote:
some other good technical math rock/indie bands to listen to: tera melos, so many dynamos, damiera. there is also newer prog, like the mars volta and closure in moscow, that's really technical.

Yesyesyes! First band I thought of when I read the title of the thread.

Everyone should certainly check out Drugs to the Dear Youth. One of my favorite instrumental pieces.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
OCEAT  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put Fragile- Yes and their 35th Anniversary compilation on my laptop, and some songs are really pretty awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSsJqWyTc3s Heart of the Sunrise, the last song on the albm.

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The band Three is great... they toured with BTBAM, Dream Theater, and opeth, but they're softer than any of those bands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlHyIvkZoRk&feature=related

The song "The end is begun" is just as good... or probably better... than that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: