Parama  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP
DERAILING
THIS
THREAD

--------------------
1. Pain of Salvation
What can I say? They have yet to put out a bad album. Idioglossia is the best song ever. The diversity in their music, heck in every song, is stunning. There's jazzy sounding bits, rapping on occasion, proggy instrumental madness, and of course just flat out great hard rock/metal music. If you listen to Remedy Lane and believe it's anything short of a masterpiece, I pity you.

2. Thrice
This is just really good music. I mean seriously. That's really all there is to say on the matter. subtle reference alert

3. Coheed and Cambria
When you first hear the band (besides the first time you heard Welcome Home - you know that was the first Coheed song you heard, don't be ashamed of admitting it) you thought it was just generic pop-rock. If you were listening to SSTB, you were right, but for the purpose of this thread we'll ignore that album. The music is really well written, Claudio's singing is amazing (though his vocals may not appeal to everyone) and the progressive element is so subtle yet ever-present in all the songs. There's plenty of epic-sounding songs but there's also songs that are just straightforward rockers you can't help but enjoy. Each album is very diverse, and while there's a concept, not understanding the concept doesn't harm your opinions on the music (I don't really understand much about the concept myself )

4. Ayreon (and everything else by Arjen too I guess though I don't have much of the other stuff)
Space metal with a progressive influence. All the albums save one are concept albums. And the music is so diverse! (again, save one album, but that was the point on that album). In The Human Equation alone, you're treated to: 2 slow, eerie vocal-oriented tracks, 2 space-metal epics, 2 songs with metalcore influence, plenty of prog rock, and even a ballad or two. Not to mention the Folk-sounding Loser which ends with a bang, and the prog rock epic Confrontation that closes the album. There's too much about the project's music to really describe in this post, so I'm just going to say that-
*insert concept moment here*

5. Dream Theater
It's DT. The band that really got me into music. I don't care if they haven't released any great albums in the past 7 years. It's freaking Dream Theater. You cannot deny that this is/was a great band.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:
Point A was "Just because Metal is in the name doesn't make it metal. METALcore isn't allowed to be discussed in the METAL thread, and I see why now."

Point B; did I really make him sound dumb? I'm honestly sorry. Where did I do that? I didn't mean to, and I guess I should fix it.

Point C I know I misread, because after reading that and my post, I know it didn't make sense.

Last I checked, Slayer and Megadeth weren't hard rock (I haven't dug too deep into each band, but from what I can take of World Painted Blood, Seasons Of The Abyss, and Reign In Blood by Slayer and Peace Sells, Rust In Peace, and Endgame by Megadeth, it doesn't sound hard rock and more thrash to me.) You may have a point about Anthrax; I only have heard like, 4 songs from them so I can't comment on them.

My main point there wasn't to say that Metallica WAS metal because they had metal in their name, but that is a good point. I never knew there were bands with Metal in the name lol.
@ Point A: Metalcore really isn't allowed to be discussed in the metal thread because very few people actually know what metalcore really is. The majority of the melodic metalcore/post-hardcore crossovers ranging from ripping of Refused and adding a shitload of breakdowns to those that add a whole new level of mainstream to gothenburg melodeath bands. Whether or not they are metal should not matter, it was simply a way of saying "don't talk about these bands that most of us liked 2 years ago but hate now".

Regarding the big four of thrash, Slayer is honestly the only band that fit in well with most of thrash, Anthrax could to to some degree. Regarding Metallica, their first three studio albums are the only albums with even a hint of thrash, and their first is the only one I could group with real thrash metal. Besides Slayer, these bands did not have enough hardcore punk influence or speed, so a fan of those bands would not likely be able to jump into thrash metal. Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T62Br1gWpbY

Some random favorite bands of mine with info this time:

At The Gates: I absolutely love the early work of At The Gates, mainly their Ep and debut LP. WFiKtBD is great as well, and TSD is decent. SotS is overly saccharine and mediocre, although not a horrible album. However, what I love is the odd mix of avant-garde/technical death metal with a strong black metal influence in the riffing and vocals. Their album The Red In The Sky Is Ours contains some of my favorite riffing ever.

Autopsy: I don't like to embellish things, but Autopsy's first two LPs are some of the finest in death metal. With a perfect blend of old school death metal and death/doom metal, anyone wanting to see the true, raw, and brutal side of old school death metal needs to look into Autopsy.

Drive Like Jehu: Favorite post-hardcore band along with Moss Icon. Amazing screaming, and an incredible use of experimentation. Ranging from Fugazi influenced post-hardcore to Slint influenced math rock, they are some of my favorite.

Gorguts: One of the strangest, most unique, and craziest bands I have ever heard. Combining extreme technicality without succumbing to wankery, using song structures foreign to metal, and being consistent throughout their career, they are one of my 3 favorite metal bands.

Husker Du Anyone who likes punk loves Husker Du. I like almost every genre these guys have gone through, playing a unique fashion of hardcore punk, playing some proto-post-hardcore music, and post-punk. They influenced Sonic Youth, who influenced the Pixies, who influenced Nirvana, who influenced every goddamn band on the radio...

Joy Division: There aren't many perfect bands out their. Joy Division's singer's eerie vocals and the great use of minimalism make this post-punk band my favorite.

Moss Icon: This is what emo music actually is, kids. Their album Lyburnum is probably one of my 3 favorite albums ever. Playing a unique art rock from of post-hardcore, Moss Icon is like none other.

Some guy at my old school once wore a merzbow shirt to class so we all threw stones at him and kicked him in the head until he died lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DaBears116
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabears116 wrote:
Good points on The Big 4

Good points there. What about Megadeth?

Also I'm so glad you mentioned Moss Icon, I love them a lot, can't believe I forgot to include them.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
dabears116  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:
dabears116 wrote:
Good points on The Big 4

Good points there. What about Megadeth?
Megadeth takes a unique blend of technical riffing, speed metal, and odd vocals. They have some thrash, although things like Rust In Peace have very little thrash in them.

TheLonging wrote:
Also I'm so glad you mentioned Moss Icon, I love them a lot, can't believe I forgot to include them.
I'm so glad you've heard of them. If you like them check out:
Fugazi (probably already know about them)
Drive Like Jehu
Nation of Ulysses
Jawbreaker
Native Nod
Indian Summer
The Hated
Saetia
(screamo)

Some guy at my old school once wore a merzbow shirt to class so we all threw stones at him and kicked him in the head until he died lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DaBears116
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesse0986 wrote:
GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
Quantic - Definitely the king of the Electronica/Trip-hop (of sorts). No one else is as consistently good as he is, and he even does most of his music from his bedroom. I guess that isn't that impressive now that I think about it, but it's a cool fact. He even gets into a lot of Latin style which is fairly unique.

Just out of curiosity, does Quant = Quantic? I heard Quant on Monte La Rue's Lounge Deluxe 4 album (the song was "Sauna Grease" I believe, and it's probably my favorite tune on the album (along with Next Evidence's "Romance"). Haven't heard of Quantic though.

No, Quant != Quantic. It's annoying going to my local record store (they have a section for both) and I see a gap between the tags, only to find out it's for Quant and not Quantic. I HIGHLY suggest Quantic to you based on your post, especially this album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AQOoFeqAI8
It's a masterpiece from the genre.

TheLonging wrote:
eyewin8 wrote:
Just because Metal is in the name doesn't make it metal. METALcore isn't allowed to be discussed in the METAL thread, and I see why now. It's more influenced by Hardcore Punk than anything. I would consider Metallica to be Hard Rock from Metallica - present, and Thrash/Metal from Kill 'Em All - ...And Justice For All. Since Hailz prefers the newer Metallica, I would call that Hard Rock. However, she did say she liked Avenged Sevenfold, and I would call them metal to an extent. Their earlier stuff was more metalcore, and they've sort of moved towards a hard rock sound to be more radio friendly I guess (lolsellingout), but they still have a metal influence for the most parts.

Point A: BAW THEY'RE CALLED METAL BUT NOT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELZ METALZ

Metalcore is still Metal. Because the metal thread says something isn't metal, are you inclined to believe them? They're the metal thread, a group of elitists. Also Metalcore is also more influenced by heavy METAL. Would you still not call them metal.

Oh how I've dealt with things like these before. What is and isn't "Metal" is purely objective. I come across the exact same thing in trance/techno/DnB. It takes an experienced ear to tell the difference for the more extreme sides of both cases. These "elitists' may know what they are talking about, or they might just be pretending to be. You're just going to have to figure out who to trust.

As for Metalcore being metal, it is. The case with it is that the more true metal fans don't like it, and don't want it to be. Metalcore gets its roots from Hardcore, or Post-Hardcore rather. The difference between Hardcore and Post-Hardcore is that the former is about being aggressive and heavy. Post-Hardcore is more about being vulnerable (which is not very metal (adjective)). Combining Post-Hardcore themes with Metal song structure gives you Metalcore. The foundation being Metal, the face value layer of being a, well, sissy.

Lucky for me I've moved onto a whole new side to music so I don't usually have to deal with this stuff, but I do miss the old days.

I guess I'll contribute another favorite of mine:
Aeoliah ex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdO48EemxKs
The best meditation music I've come across. If anyone has any more stuff like it, let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a top ten. I know some of you are already acquainted with my tastes and might find this nice to read. Many of these bands are here from sentimental value along with musical value.

1. mewithoutYou - This band means so much to me. I highly recommend listening to them. I don't really have anything to say, so here's a sample.

2. Pearl Jam - I've been listening to them all my life so obviously I've grown quite fond of them. You know how when babies are exposed to certain kinds of music when they're growing up they tend to shape their tastes around that? Well that's them. No sample here because most of Scorehero is familiar with PJ.

3. Every Time I Die - We all know The New Black, and while I do love that song and that album, that's not what puts ETID at number three. The style overflowing in Gutter Phenomenon and The Big Dirty is hard not to love, but what puts ETID so high up is Hot Damn!. Hot Damn! is the high point of their obsessive hardcore career. Afterward their style would change, not necessarily for the better or worse. Sample from Hot Damn!.

4. Alice in Chains - Them Bones was in GHII, we are all familiar with it. There's really not much to say here. Layne Stayley is my favorite vocalist. His voice kills me. Their unplugged album is my personal favorite album of theirs even though it doesn't contain any original songs. No sample because everyone knows them.

5. Brand New - I hear that they have a song on GHV but I really have no idea. I love their first three albums from start to finish. Your Favorite Weapon is a pop punk/emo masterpiece. Deja Entendu contains some of the most original music I've ever heard. The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me is proof that you can jerk tears with simple music. The most latter of those played a key role in my recent struggles with depression. Sample.

6. Bush - They're an old favorite of mine. While most of you have probably heard all the singles off of their first album (they had a lot of success on the radio in 94), that's not what puts them hear. Their next album, Razorblade Suitcase gets little recognition for how it's shaped post- music. I consider that and The Science of Things to be absolute perfect albums, start to finish. Sample.

7. Cynic - I have no words, so just sample.

8. The Sound of Animals Fighting - A supergroup of sorts that only does studio work. My whole summer was filled with this band amoung others and they've grown to remind me of my sister a lot which is why I feel this sort of nostalgia when I listen to them.. They fall under "progressive post-hardcore" I suppose.. I don't really know. Just listen to this sample.

9. Killing the Dream - In Place Apart is perfect from start to finish. These screams are painful. Sample.

10. I can't decide between Bane, Toadies, Taking Back Sunday, At the Drive-in, Bear Vs. Shark, Norma Jean, Circa Survive, Stone Temple Pilots, Deftones, GlassJAw, Have Heart, Ruiner, Portugal. The Man, Radiohead, and These Arms Are Snakes, so pick one.

Edit: I need to go through here and listen to some of the bands mentioned that I don't know.. namely from the lists Fugitive and thecaptainof posted.
dabears116  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
1. mewithoutYou
I agree with you. I generally find christian bands somewhat of a vice, although mewithoutyou is an exceptional experimental post-hardcore band. I recommended a few post-hardcore bands earlier, and you could look into the side leaning towards post-rock/math rock bands. I haven't listened to these guys in a while, but IIRC they were somewhat atmospheric. I'd recommend bands like the following (forgive me if they are off base)y:
Drive Like Jehu
June of 44
Rodan
Slint
Unwound

On another note, since you like At The Drive-In, you should still check out other post-hardcore bands, especially Fugazi (whom you should already know about), Moss Icon, Embrace, Jawbox, and Jawbreaker. Hell you may even like bands like Refused and Funeral Diner, who crossed over into metalcore and added progressive elements.

Eastwinn wrote:
3. Every Time I Die
I'll assume you're familar with Baroness (if not, listen to them) A bit out there, but you should try some atmospheric/post-metal bands if you haven't already. They take the experimentation to higher levels and are more atmospheric than Every Time I Die, but they are still worth a sample:
Cult of Luna
Isis
Neurosis
The Ocean
Pelican

Eastwinn wrote:
4. Alice in Chains
Gruntruck
Melvins (different, you may like them though, start with Stoner Witch and Houdini)
My Sister's Machine
TAD

Hell you could try some less metalish grunge bands and try some of the raw garage rock influenced ones like Green River.

Eastwinn wrote:
7. Cynic
Not many bands are like them, although I'd assume you'd like some technical or jazzy death-thrash bands similar to Atheist. I don't know many that don't become either extremely brutal or are just wank. Try some of these bands, although they vary quite a bit:
Control Denied
Disillusion
Martyr
Vuvr

GenericName  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:

Cynic - I have no words, so just sample.

Thank you for posting this. I listened to that and was amazed. I bought the album on iTunes and it's really great. Definitely in my top 10 favorite bands from this album alone.

TehBanStick  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never order them by number so in alphabetical order...

Avantasia
Ayreon
Bang Camaro
Cat Stevens
Devin Townsend
Dream Theater
Edguy
Falconer
Frameshift (Don't like Unweaving The Rainbow, but An Absence of Empathy is nice)
Helloween
Nightwish
Poets of the Fall
Sabaton
Shadows Fall
Simon and Garfunkel
Sonata Arctica
Transatlantic

I'll take some recommendations if anyone has them
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TehBanStick wrote:
I'll take some recommendations if anyone has them

Based off the bands you listed I would try some

- Epica - very nightwish-eque

- Into Eternity - I like their Scattering Ashes album, but everyone seems to love their first two, their self titled album and Buried in Oblivion. They're kind of a power/prog/alternative metal.

- Wintersun - I just recommend them to anyone that loves any kind of metal. Wintersun is a very complex mixture of all kinds of metal (Power, folk, prog, melodic death, melodic black, most notably)

- Adramelch - Kind of technical in a Dream Theater way instrumentally but much different vocals. Definitely check out their Broken History album.

- Then there are some obvious ones that fit right in with your tastes. I would definitely look into Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Demons and Wizards, Gunbridge, Thunderstone, Symphony X, Stratovarius, Shining Fury, Running Wild, Primal Fear, Power Quest, Kamelot, Impellitteri, Guardians of Time, Freedom Call, Dark Moor, Firewind, Angra. Keep in mind all of those are power metal.

I bolded the bands I think you'll like the most out of the ones I've listed, but I highly recommend all of them based on your tastes.
TehBanStick  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
Into Eternity
Blind Guardian
Iced Earth
Demons and Wizards
Symphony X
Stratovarius
Power Quest,
Kamelot
Freedom Call
Firewind

These are the bands I already got lol
I'll definitely look into those others though.

As far as Into Eternity goes, I actually like The Incurable Tragedy the most.
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TehBanStick wrote:
These are the bands I already got lol
I'll definitely look into those others though.

As far as Into Eternity goes, I actually like The Incurable Tragedy the most.

I figured you had/heard of a lot of them, but I just listed bands that you didn't have in your list. Yeah, a lot were pretty mainstream power metal...
Beedlebub  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could name a number of bands here, but I think I'll devote my post to one band, and one band only.

The Dead Milkmen.

I could go on about this band for hours. I guess if you wanted to put them into a genre you could say pop punk Their early work shows a real carefree nature, they don't take their band seriously, and the simple melodies, ridiculous lyrical subject matter and shortness of their songs may seem, at first, like not a lot of effort has gone into them, and there probably hasn't, but they're just so gosh-darned catchy, you can't help but be sucked in.

Let's take their first (and my personal favourite) album as an example. 15 out of 21 songs go for under 2 minutes. The album covers topics such as rednecks, whiny teenagers, lizards, violence, retards, the beach, drugs, politics, dreams, healthy eating and going to the laundromat. It's refreshing to see a band that don't seem to be trying that hard but all their music turns out to be amazing. There are songs that focus less on the comedy and more on their technical skills as well, like Tugena, KKSuck2 and Surfin' Cow.

Later on, however, on Beelzebubba and Metaphysical Graffiti in particular, some of their songs seem like they were trying a bit too hard to be funny, and as a result the songs come off a bit lackluster. This is balanced out by their last album, Stoney's Extra Stout (Pig), where most of the songs aren't really that funny and they are a bit more mature. It seems like they were trying a bit too hard to be accepted as "real" musicians, and as such it falls a bit flat. It's still good, but doesn't reach the heights that the first four albums reached.

Anyway, I wouldn't actually start with much off Big Lizard In My Backyard if you wanted to get into them (not even Bitchin' Camaro), I'd go with something off of Bucky Fellini or Beelzebubba, like Punk Rock Girl, Watchin' Scotty Die, Surfin' Cow (can't find a video >_>), Smokin' Banana Peels or I Walk The Thinnest Line. Yep, three are dodgy live versions, and you know a band is underappreciated when that's all you can get of their more well known tracks.

God damnit.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RudiganRex PSN Name: Beedlebub-
SeaMoney  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, I'm afraid to order them because it shifts back and forth, so I'll just list them.

Fireworks - Five guys who grew up 15 minutes away from me and are now writing some of the best pop punk music in years. I adore every song this band has recorded.

The Fall of Troy - Yeah.

Fall Out Boy - I love them to death.

Dream Theater - First ever band I actually became obsessed with. I have every piece of audio this band has released, as well as a ton of bootlegs.

Between the Buried and Me - Never fails to put me in an awesome mood.

Brand New - Deja Entendu is one of the greatest albums ever recorded.

Polar Bear Club - I can drive around and listen to these guys all day.

HORSE the band - Almost every song makes me want to rage and die laughing at the same time.

Silversun Pickups - Ever since I heard Kissing Families for the first time I've been obsessed.

Foxy Shazam - Unmatched originality and energy. This band rocks.

Others:
Tera Melos
CAKE
The Human Abstract
Protest the Hero
Every Time I Die
Black Eyed Peas
Set Your Goals
Muse
Mastodon
Motion City Soundtrack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabears116 wrote:
Recommendations

Some of those bands I've heard of and listen to already, but others are completely new to me so thanks! I'll write those down on a post-it and stick it on my monitor so I don't forget to check them out XD

GenericName wrote:
Thank you for posting this. I listened to that and was amazed. I bought the album on iTunes and it's really great. Definitely in my top 10 favorite bands from this album alone.

The album I posted the sample from (Traced In Air) is great, but their first album, Focus, is better by far, IMO, and that's what put Cynic so high in my list. The style is a tad different because the first album still has death metal influence. So if that's not your thing, you might not like it as much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: