ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Your Favourite Bands/Musicians/Artists
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BNghfreak12  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 5

1. Porcupine Tree
An indescribable band. Steven Wilson is definitely one of my favorite, if not favorite, musicians today. They've yet to make an album that I don't like. A large percentage of their albums are superb/grade A.

2. Pink Floyd
Pretty self explanatory. Fantastic in every sense and way. They created three of my favorite albums of all time (Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals) among other great albums.

3. Amplifier
Criminally underrated. They are along somewhat the same vein as Porcupine Tree however it is still original. The music has such texture and beauty to it as well as that rockoutish factor which defines their sound. The self titled album is one of my favorite albums ever.

4. Nine Inch Nails
It's tough to describe why I love NIN so much but I just do. The music grabs me in several ways. It grabs me much more than any other band from the "industrial" genre. Trent's emotion and honesty expressed through the music is phenomenal.

5. Oceansize
Another band that is tough to describe my love for. Oceansize are just so immense and the music is beautifully constructed and like Amplifier has that texture as well as beauty to it.

I love how out of place NIN is on this list.

I might do 6-10 later although that would be much tougher.
redlar  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10. Trivium
Favourite song: Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr
Favourite album: Ember to Inferno
Trivium was one of the first "metalcore" bands I ever heard. And I loved the sound. The Crusade was a bit of a flop, but the other albums are wicked, and the new album completely blew my expectations away.

9. Lamb of God
Favourite song: Blacken The Cursed Sun
Favourite album: Sacrament
Ahh. Lamb of God. I love lamb of god so much. This was a difficult list, and I'm still not sure, They should probably be higher. Heavy riffage, and awesome vocals.

8. Children of Bodom
Favourite song: Lake Bodom
Favourite album : Follow The Reaper
First sort of... Death metaly band I listened too. I've yet to see Children of Bodom, and that upsets me, because they write such awesome lyrics, and awesome songs.

7. Pantera
Favourite song: I'm Broken
Favourite album: Vulgar Display of Power
R.I.P Dime. The necessary 90's metal band. Need I say more?

6. Metallica (Pre Load/Reload/Past the Black Album)
Favourite song: Hit the Lights
Favourite album: Ride the Lightning
Ride the Lightning is one of my favourite all time albums. Kill, Puppets and Justice are good, but I just love Lightning. Despite Hit the Lights being my favourite song. Lol.

5. Alice in Chains
Favourite song: We Die Young
Favourite album: Facelift
It was either AiC, or Pearl Jam. I love Ten to bits, but never been able to really appreciate any other Pearl Jam work, where as with AiC, I love the new album, Dirt, Self Titled, and Jar of Flies. AiC rock, and I was so excited to see them live, and back in style.

4. Incubus (Pre-Morning View)
Favourite song: A Certain Shade of Green
Favourite album: S.C.I.E.N.C.E
Odd Choice? Most people probably know Incubus for "Stellar" or "Drive". But before they wrote Alt-Rock, they were a Alt-Nu-Metal Band. I love SCIENCE, and I've probably listened to it over a hundred times. Pre-Morning View Incubus kicked ass for me. I love it.

3. All That Remains
Favourite song: Not Alone
Favourite album: Fall of Ideals
Metalcore at it's finest. In my opinion. AtR rock, and I spent a lot, a LOT of times listening to Fall of Ideals. The new album is weaker than previous releases, but I still love AtR. I would really reccomend for fans of Bmfv, Trivium, Similar Metal Core bands.

2. Machine Head
Favourite song: Davidian
Favourite album: The Blackening
LET FREEDOM RING WITH A SHOTGUN BLAST. Machine Head blow my brains out. Seriously. They are (to me) so awesome. Even the two Nu Metal albums, everything. The only weak song in the whole discography is From This Day. (Don't listen to it, or watch the video. Both are depressing)

1. Slayer
Favourite song: Disciple
Favourite album: Seasons in the Abyss
SLAAAAAAAYEEEEEEERR. Yes, I'm a metalhead, and I LOVE slayer. I've bought all their albums, some twice just to get limited editions, I've got a God Hates Us All, and Reign in Blood flag in my room. Everything they do is Flawless. The true kings of thrash, in my opinion.

Npeaen wrote:
See! There is a benefit to wasting away far too much time on fake plastic guitars!

More... plastic guitars...
Blehgopie  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The Beatles

HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE GAP

2. Rush
3. Iron Maiden
4. Megadeth
5. Queen

Nothing compares with The Beatles, but GH/RB has at least gotten me to listen to bands other than them, and I'm glad for it.

Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redlar wrote:
Odd Choice? Most people probably know Incubus for "Stellar" or "Drive". But before they wrote Alt-Rock, they were a Alt-Nu-Metal Band. I love SCIENCE, and I've probably listened to it over a hundred times. Pre-Morning View Incubus kicked ass for me. I love it.

It's funny, very few people here really seem to know about S.C.I.E.N.C.E.. For all the Nu-Metal fans there are here, it's funny how little people mention Incubus or deftones, especially Pre-Morning View and Pre-White Pony. I actually really love all parts of Incubus's career except for their newest album, and all parts of deftones career. In fact, White Pony is still my favorite album by them.
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
redlar wrote:

It's funny, very few people here really seem to know about S.C.I.E.N.C.E.. For all the Nu-Metal fans there are here, it's funny how little people mention Incubus or deftones, especially Pre-Morning View and Pre-White Pony. I actually really love all parts of Incubus's career except for their newest album, and all parts of deftones career. In fact, White Pony is still my favorite album by them.

I'd probably still consider it my favourite Incubus album, albeit mainly for sentimental reasons 'cos it was the first one I got into. But yeah, I somehow never really think of them when considering my favourite bands. They'd be up there though.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this thread is hilarious. I find it somewhere between brilliant and depressing that so many of these lists are virtually identical - "Metallica, Megadeth, Rush, Beatles, Zep, MCR, Queen, Three Others". Seriously. Queen are about the only one of those I can stand.

Here's my half-arsed attempt at a top clump. It's been compiled by going into Catraxx and listing the bands I have the most albums from, which is obviously not a great way of doing things (The Arcade Fire have only released two albums, but they're both stunners), but it'll do.

1. James (15 albums)
Favourite album: Whiplash, 1997
Favourite song: Sit Down (from Gold Mother, 1991)

Weird Manchester indie types (think Stone Roses with less drugs) who simply refuse to quit - they've split up twice and just keep on coming back. Awesome live, and with a stunning variety in their collection that's veered between completely random early work to straightish indie to arena rock to vaguely dance by the turn of the millennium, this is one band that I continually return to whenever I'm asked to make one of these lists. And Matt Nathanson should be shot for his cover of Laid.

2. U2 (10 albums)
Favourite album: Achtung Baby, 1991
Favourite song: One (from Achtung Baby, 1991)

Yeah, they've been a bit shit for the last eight years and Bono is in serious danger of disappearing up his own arse, but when they were good they were exceptional.

3=. REM (9 albums)
Favourite album: Automatic For The People, 1992
Favourite song: I'll Take The Rain (from Reveal, 2001)

Pretty much "see U2".

3=. Saint Etienne (9 albums)
Favourite album: Tales From Turnpike House, 2005
Favourite song: You're In A Bad Way (from So Tough, 1993)

A London-rooted Eurodance collective and pretty much the best all-out pop band out there, as opposed to all the manufactured teen shit that does the rounds now.

5=. Sarah McLachlan (7 albums)
Favourite album: Surfacing, 1997
Favourite song: Possession (from Fumbling Towards Ecstasy, 1994)

Yes, she's not a band and she takes too long between albums, but damn she can sing.

5=. The Corrs (7 albums)
Favourite album: Talk On Corners, 1997
Favourite song: Toss The Feathers (from Forgiven, Not Forgotten, 1995)

Irish folk-pop. Caroline Corr is one of the best chick drummers out there and Andrea's voice can melt metal.

7=. Beth Orton (6 albums)
Favourite album: Central Reservation, 1999
Favourite song: Stolen Car (from Central Reservation, 1999)

Norfolk (my old stomping ground)'s answer to Sarah McLachlan, albeit with rather more of a dance-y bent at times (she hung around with The Chemical Brothers a bit too long, methinks).

7=. The Divine Comedy (6 albums)
Favourite album: Fin De Siècle, 1998
Favourite song: The Certainty Of Chance (from Fin De Siècle, 1998)

The greatest thing to come out of Northern Ireland since George Best. While Neil Hannon described them as Europop in the early days, they found their niche in the mid-Nineties with what might be termed orchestral chamber pop (I hate genre-based classification of music). Hannon is an exceptionally clever lyricist, and his social satires in songs like Generation Sex and A Lady Of A Certain Age are stunning.

7=. Bif Naked (6 albums)
Favourite album: I Bificus, 1999
Favourite song: Lucky (from I Bificus, 1999)

Thank you, Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Pretty sure most people here know what she is (Canadian kinda punk), and yes, she is still making music.

Then there's a clump on five albums; The Simpsons (shut up), Pulp (Sheffield's answer to The Divine Comedy), Meat Loaf (it pains me that some people here don't know who this guy is), Garbage, Fatboy Slim (the definitive big-beat artist) and Christina Aguilera (when she gets writers and marketers who stop turning her into a slut and let her voice do the work, she can seriously sing).

Honourable mentions: Air (France Dance; a more atmospheric Daft Punk), Arcade Fire (if they can keep it up from the first two albums they'll be unbelievable), Gorillaz (Damon Albarn's best band by a mile).

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
redlar  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
redlar wrote:

I'd probably still consider it my favourite Incubus album, albeit mainly for sentimental reasons 'cos it was the first one I got into. But yeah, I somehow never really think of them when considering my favourite bands. They'd be up there though.

It's mainly because Past Morning View, Incubus's music took a much more radio-friendly, mainstream sound. Not to say they sold out, they just experimented with a different type of music. The Bassist and The DJ are responsible for Fungus Amongus, Enjoy Incubus, SCIENCE and Make Yourself. After they left, different direction. It's a shame really, because I find that old Incubus was a great mix of rap-metal/RHCP funk sound, and I loved that.

Npeaen wrote:
See! There is a benefit to wasting away far too much time on fake plastic guitars!

More... plastic guitars...
Ensiferum  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
Wow, this thread is hilarious. I find it somewhere between brilliant and depressing that so many of these lists are virtually identical - "Metallica, Megadeth, Rush, Beatles, Zep, MCR, Queen, Three Others". Seriously. Queen are about the only one of those I can stand.

Wow, that is a dose of elitism most metalheads would envy.

"You guys don't listen to [insert obscure indie band]; therefore, my musical tastes are superior."

Rush and Zeppelin are incredible and highly influential bands. For someone who seems to be a musical deity, you sure don't venture outside your own country much.

And you have U2 as your second favorite? Utter garbage...

/end rant.

People like different bands. Some bands are more popular and appear on these lists because they are more accessible. Not everyone has an eclectic musical taste and not everyone is willing to spend the time investigating other music.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ensiferum wrote:
Kinitawowi wrote:

"You guys don't listen to [insert obscure indie band]; therefore, my musical tastes are superior."

Show me EXACTLY where I said that.

No, I mean it.

It was in no way, shape or form about a superiority complex. I was just surprised to see a large number of very similar looking lists with a few same old, same old entries. I'm sure there's a reason for that, be it based around ScoreHero user demographics, or sheepism, or that the bands are genuinely so good that they deserve to crop up in these lists. But I don't like most of them - I find Metallica too samey, Rush too pretentious, MCR too pathetically emo, Zep too dull and Beatles too dated (I'll concede that they were important - the key word there, were). I will hold my hands up right now and say I don't know an awful lot about Megadeth. Doubtless somebody will bite my head off for these interpretations, but that's just what I've found in what I've listened to. Deal with it.

Not everybody likes the same bands, but it isn't musical snobbery to note some similarities in these lists.

As for "not venturing outside my own country"... I'm 29. I've lived in the UK all that time. Of course my music collection and tastes are going to be predominantly British - that's what we're exposed to over here and that's what I've spent my life listening to. I'm sure if I'd spent 29 years in the USA, or Canada, or Belgium, or India, or anywhere else, my list would be completely different. That's part of why I look through these sorts of threads and these sorts of lists - because I'm interested in investigating elsewhere, and finding other music and other bands that I might want to check out. And it's also why I'm disappointed that a lot of the lists have been quite similar, with more than a few bands that I haven't enjoyed.

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
dabears116  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ensiferum wrote:

And that attitude isn't any better, in fact it is pretty hypocritical. He was not even speaking in that tone anyway. Dissenting or even sometimes condemning opinion is not snobbery, do not be under that impression. Snobbery is combining strong condemnation with bigotry, in that one lacks the tolerance for those with possibly less educated or simply different opinions.

Anyways, a few more of my favorite bands:

Neil Young: I have yet to come across an artist related to this genre with the greatness and the consistency of Neil Young. He truly is one of my favorite artists of all time.

The Cure: I express an extreme admiration for post-punk, and The Cure is yet another post-punk/proto-goth band that I love.

The Roots: Probably my favorite hip-hop/rap group along with Mos Def and Wu-Tang Clan.

Sigur Ros: Beautiful ambient post-rock band.

Sonic Youth: Extremely influential and a band I very much adore.

Merciless: A very great death/trash band, I especially love their first two LPs.

Some guy at my old school once wore a merzbow shirt to class so we all threw stones at him and kicked him in the head until he died lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DaBears116
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta agree with Kinitawowi. Some of these lists have been incredibly boring and uninspiring. In fact, I really hate "rock god" worship -- it's worse than metal elitism, jazz elitism, and classical elitism combined (those sorted from least to most extant they disgust me). Somehow in most people's minds, it's okay for somebody to say that Back in Black by AC/DC is undeniably awesome but totally, morally wrong for anyone to say that this is undeniably awesome. Why? Well because top rock experts agree that AC/DC or Led Zepplin or whoever is the shit and we should listen to them because they have authority in subjective matters! It's great that you guys like all these bands that Kinitawowi called you out on listing. He probably agrees. But it's a safe assumption that you don't really listen to anything that's not as popular that you'd probably really like. There's an off chance that your music tastes fit the bands you listed perfectly, in which case, keep on doing what your doing. But since that's likely not the case, you should try to "branch out" for lack of a better phrase.
Ensiferum  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I need to work on reading comprehension, but when he comes out saying, "Wow. This thread is hilarious," that sounds pretty snobbish to me.

I actually agree with his observations about most of the bands he listed, but some points come across as pretty pretentious.

I just disagree with the attitude of "Well, these lists don't contain bands I like, so I'll come out and denounce them."

Perhaps I'm too sensitive?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muse - Always have liked them since a guy showed me Butterflies and Hurricanes. I thought it sounded kind of emo, back when I was young and dumb enough to care, but only a bit and with it's hint of prog, and their other songs' riff-filled poppiness, I was hooked. It's really all I could want from a band. Their latest album at first sounded really great to me, but after a while I realized it was overloaded with the poppiness, a little too proggy, and didn't have enough sweet riffs. Oh well, Undisclosed Desires is still nice.

Aphex Twin - My burned copy of the Come to Daddy EP with the Windowlicker single tacked on at the end is probably one of my most prized possessions. In general, the dude's great. I'm not as hot on ambient stuff as most of his fans are, I think, but I enjoy pretty much everything of his I hear, and he has a lot of music.

Mastodon - Yeah, I'll admit the first time I ever actually listened to this band was with Sleeping Giant on GH3, but the only reason I never listened to them before was because I had heard bad things. Things like the songs all sounded the same, and shit like that. Yeah, that's kind of true on Leviathan, but god damn if their last two albums didn't fix that problem nicely. My interest in them has waned recently, but then again, my interest in everything has waned ever since I started listening to...

Lady Gaga - Yeah, you heard me.

Sergei Rachmaninov - His music is so beautiful, yet so dark and sad, like my soul.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - These next three are ones I don't listen to much any more, but were really big with me, back when I was 15 and 16. RHCP especially. At the time, I could not imagine anything better than a mix of funk, punk, and rock. I'm sure I've listened to Mother's Milk more times than I've listened to pretty much any other album (other than maybe The Fame).

Pixies - I think I started to check them out because I heard they were an influence on Nirvana (see: age 15), but it wasn't long until I liked them more than I would ever like Nirvana. I was just getting in to alt-rock at the time, so they were the logical starting point. I don't know what exactly it was that attracted me to them, but the Come On Pilgrim EP was something I listened to a lot and I have memories tied to it even though it was a mere 4 years ago. I still like their stuff, but in smaller doses and often times for nostalgia.

Boris - I'm not sure where I found out about them, but I'm sure it had something to do with them being Japanese, or maybe it had to do with the chick guitarist (both exotic things to me at the time [see: age 15]). I was all about Pink, you know, but I did find time to listen to other albums of theirs, and I was relieved to find they were also pretty good. I don't remember why I stopped listening to them, but I think if I had, they would have been huge with me a year or so back, but nowadays I only like them.

Last edited by Twang on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
BNghfreak12  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:

All those bands are better than Dream Theater.

/me runs

However, I do agree, a lot of the lists are a bit samey. I know everyone has their own music taste and all, but it is definitely a lot more refreshing to see a standoutish sort of list.
dogtownzboy1  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I forgot to mention,

Metallica- Damage, Inc., Dyers Eve, Of Wolf and Man, Hit The Lights, Fade To Black.

These songs are enough to get anyone instantly hooked on them

http://www.last.fm/user/shad0wz69
Follow Me @dogtownzboy1

Haven't been on ScoreHero in 3 years. 4chan ruined my life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: