Mercyful Fate
The Mountain Goats
Pere Ubu
Primus
Ride
Wolf (Sweden)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ensiferum wrote:
Wow, that is a dose of elitism most metalheads would envy.

"You guys don't listen to [insert obscure indie band]; therefore, my musical tastes are superior."

So... we'll ignore the fact that none of the bands on his list are remotely obscure? If you haven't heard of most of them, it's because they're British (or, in a couple of cases, Irish). Every single one of them is well known.

But yeah, I can't help agreeing with the sentiment. A lot of these lists are so predictable and samey, yet I saw someone a few days ago making a comment about how Scorehero people know more about music than other sites... I had to laugh. I guarantee that person (whoever it was, I can't remember where I saw it to go back and check) would list some combination of Metallica, Megadeth, Rush and Dream Theater in their top bands.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Shadowstep  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalManiac3021 wrote:
Here are my top 10 favorite bands right now:

Absu
Carissa's Weird
Hibria
Melvins
Mercyful Fate
The Mountain Goats
Pere Ubu
Primus
Ride
Wolf (Sweden)

Original list is original. I might have to give Melvins a listen, they seem to be one of the biggest inspirations for my favourite band.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I shall list my top 5 bands

5)The Offspring
Favorite Album: Americana
Favorite Song: Lightning Rod
Yes, punk rock, The Offspring. One of the first bands I've ever listened to.

4)Scorpions
Favorite Album: Bad for Good: The Very best of Scorpions.
Favorite Song: No One Like You.
What's there not to like about Scorpions? The music is just great. My favorite song by them just has to be No One Like You. I just love it so much. Second favorite goes to Wind of Change, though.

3)Metallica
Favorite Album: Ride the Lightning
Favorite Song: One
There isn't much to say here. It's just Metallica, one of the most awesome bands ever.

2)Guns n Roses
Favorite Album: Appetite for Destruction
Favorite Song: Think About You
Well, Guns n Roses. The band with an amazing backstory, and so awesome songs. There isn't a "bad" song by them, you can just call songs better or worse than each other.

1)Ozzy Osbourne
Favorite Album: Bark at the Moon
Favorite Song: Bark at the Moon
Yes, I am talking about Ozzy's solo career after Black Sabbath. Besides the awesome songs that are already in Guitar Hero, there are songs like Center of Eternity, Lightning Strikes, Rock n Roll Rebel, Killer of Giants, Tattooed Dancer, Miracle Man, Never Know Why, Bloodbath in Paradise, Mr. Crowley, and so on, and in case you haven't noticed, I just listen SOME songs from only 3 albums, and they're all pure awesomeness. So what about the rest of his discography? Is it worse than the songs I listed? Definitely not. There is nothing to hate or dislike here.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 438237975587
MetalManiac3021  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowstep wrote:
MetalManiac3021 wrote:
Here are my top 10 favorite bands right now:

Absu
Carissa's Weird
Hibria
Melvins
Mercyful Fate
The Mountain Goats
Pere Ubu
Primus
Ride
Wolf (Sweden)

Original list is original. I might have to give Melvins a listen, they seem to be one of the biggest inspirations for my favourite band.

Melvins are highly recommended and such a great band, I suggest starting with Houdini (which is what I did), then moving on to Stoner Witch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, what the hell. I'll give this a shot (boredom at work will do that to you). My top something, in a loosely defined order. A lot of these favorite albums and stuff are also loosely defined...consider these my "possible favorite at the moment".

Despite the fact that my music tastes are fairly eclectic, most of these are going to wind up to be folk/pop type bands. I just have a thing for them, what can I say!

1. Andrew Bird
Favorite Album: Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs
Favorite Song: Masterfade

Andrew Bird is best classified as a creative, quirky folk with catchy hooks and overly-creative lyrics. He's a big fan of the violin and whistling (yes, whistling). Masterfade is a terrific example of this. What's more, Bird is an absolute fantastic live experience, and his philosophy on music is one I can appreciate. He doesn't write down any of his songs, and he never rehearses a show. His theory is if it's a song worth playing, he'll remember it, and if it's a show worth remembering, it doesn't have a script. I have a serious man-crush on Andrew Bird.

2. Simon and Garfunkel
Favorite Album: Sounds of Silence
Favorite Song: Kathy's Song

Simon and Garfunkel, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated bands to come out of the classic rock/folk era. They land spots in movies and tv shows fairly frequently, but are rarely discussed on the topic of landmark bands from that time period. Give Kathy's song a listen - a hauntingly beautiful love song. They're lyrical prowess, in my eyes, goes unmatched.

3. The Beatles
Favorite Album: Abbey Road
Favorite Song: Octupus's Garden

Nothing I say here will be of any surprise to you. Most dynamic band to ever exist, and consistently great.

4. Belle and Sebastian
Favorite Album: If You're Feeling Sinister
Favorite Song: Judy and the Dream of Horses

Belle and Sebastian is like a modern day Beatles. Very dynamic, and Stephen Murdoch is a lyrical genius. The song linked above is from Sinister - their newer stuff is much more poppy and catchy, but still very solid.

5. Led Zeppelin
Favorite Album: Led Zeppelin I
Favorite Song: When the Levee Breaks

You know Zeppelin, enough said.

6. The Shins
Favorite Album: Chutes Too Narrow
Favorite Song: Gone for Good (A Call to Apathy)

I'm pretty convinced that James Mercer and I are soulmates. Totally heterosexual, of course. Maybe. His lyrics - especially those on Chutes Too Narrow, have been my personal bible for years. It is quite possibly my favorite album ever (Sounds of Silence also ranks up there in that category). Insatiably catchy and undeniably intriguing, each Shins album is a masterpiece in its own right. And yes, Shins fans, that includes Wincing the Night Away. I love that album.

7. Stars
Favorite Album: Set Yourself on Fire (what else?)
Favorite Song: Your Ex-Lover is Dead

Canadian band Stars are something of a mini-hit, it seems. I've been to two Stars shows there were at huge venues, sold out, but nobody I talk to seem to know who they are. The song linked above is undoubtedly they're biggest hit, and I can't help but follow the herd on this one - it's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Give it a listen.

8. The Whigs
Favorite Album: Mission Control
Favorite Song: Right Hand on My Heart

Fans of garage rock, fear not - The Whigs are single-handedly (I'm kidding, relax) keeping your genre alive. This is authentic garage rock that you could swear was straight from 1990 - and it sounds absolutely awesome. You might even have to get your flannel back out.

9. The Decemberists
Favorite Album: Her Majesty
Favorite Song: The Mariner's Revenge Song

Colin Meloy is awesome. I've seen the dude live, a few times with his band the Decemberists and few times doing what have become his semi-annual solo shows. His personality is certainly unique - and that's not even taking into account his love of extravagant storytelling.

10. Billy Joel
Favorite Album: The Stranger
Favorite Song: Vienna

I never really gave Billy Joel the time of day until I met my (now ex) girlfriend. She was a pretty big Billy fan, and after picking up the Stranger and realizing it had to be one of the best album of all time, I opened my eyes to how incredible he is. He's led an interesting life and his music reflects that - whenever I'm in an especially horrible mood, Billy Joel is my go-to.

Phew, that took a while. I hope at least somebody checks some of this stuff out if they haven't heard it.
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
Ensiferum wrote:
Wow, that is a dose of elitism most metalheads would envy.

"You guys don't listen to [insert obscure indie band]; therefore, my musical tastes are superior."

So... we'll ignore the fact that none of the bands on his list are remotely obscure? If you haven't heard of most of them, it's because they're British (or, in a couple of cases, Irish). Every single one of them is well known.

In fairness, everything's obscure if you haven't heard of it. One person's obscure is another's "I have fifteen of their albums", although in some cases the fact that there are fifteen albums is an obscurity in itself (in James' case, there is a very rare live album that will probably do me for triple figures on eBay)...

But anyway. Nobody with five albums can fairly be called obscure, so I figured it might be interesting to list the bands for whom I have one album (that isn't a Best Of).

Jeff Wayne - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds
Amy Studt - False Smiles
Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X
Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun
Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Rialto - Rialto
Radiohead - The Bends
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Nirvana - MTV Unplugged In New York
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
Amy MacDonald - This Is The Life
Lifehouse - No Name Face
Kosheen - Kokopelli
The Good, The Bad And The Queen - The Good, The Bad And The Queen
Charlotte Gainsbourg - 5:55
Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
Doves - The Last Broadcast
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
Andrea Corr - Ten Feet High
Jarvis Cocker - Jarvis
Bentley Rhythm Ace - Bentley Rhythm Ace
Atomic Kitten - Right Now
Asobi Seksu - Citrus
Paul Anka - Rock Swings

And there's still only about three of those that can be called obscure (Rialto, Kosheen and Asobi Seksu, and maybe Sneaker Pimps and Bentley Rhythm Ace), and I have no doubt that at least one other person on this board will have heard of each of those.

You want obscure? I have a track called Nowhere by Anne Richardson in my "random single songs" collection. It came from an album called The EMMA Project, or Eastside Music and Multimedia Access. The album was part of a drive to help people in the more deprived areas of Manchester to use proper music and recording equipment - several of the people involved were homeless, buskers or both. And this is the only thing she ever recorded. Now that's obscurity.

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
TopGearFTW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just gonna base this on how many plays each band has recently on my iTunes, it probably represents my favourites pretty well.

=1: The Beatles - Yes, I'm well aware everyone and their dog has The Beatles somewhere on their list, but I don't care, I never claimed to be obscure or indie.

Favourite Album: Abbey Road or The White Album
Favourite Song: The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill

=1: Rammstein - Impossible for me to choose between these or The Beatles as my favourite, I love every single song these guys have written, I'm off to see them live next month and I can't wait, they put on easily one of the best live shows.

Favourite Album: Reise, Reise
Favourite Song: Rammlied

3: PAIN - I love this band, Peter Tagtgren is a genius musically (PAIN is identical to N.I.N (not musically, just band setup), Peter does everything himself apart from occasional guest musicians)

Favourite Album: Psalms of Extinction
Favourite Song: Here is the News

4: Nightwish - Don't really listen to these much lately since Anette basically ruined them, but they were the first band I ever saw live, and Tarja has (had?) one of the best singing voices in metal.

Favourite Album: Once
Favourite Song: Master Passion Greed

5: ICP - Yes I know, complete change in direction, but I find this band funny, even if they are far from the most talented, they are still epic >__> (I may only be partially joking >__>)

Favourite Album: The Tempest
Favourite Song: If I Was a Serial Killer

First recorded GS of Black Magic on PS3! I almost feel proud. >__>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: TopGearFTW
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
And there's still only about three of those that can be called obscure (Rialto, Kosheen and Asobi Seksu, and maybe Sneaker Pimps and Bentley Rhythm Ace), and I have no doubt that at least one other person on this board will have heard of each of those.

*waves* I have at least one album from all except Bentley Rhythm Ace... I'd be interested to find anyone here who lived through the Britpop era without knowing '6 Underground' or 'Bentley's Gonna Sort You Out!'. I'll give you Asobi Seksu as obscure though, I can't see why people would know them if they're not into the shoegaze kinda thing.

Incidentally, my definition of 'well known' was probably somewhat esoteric, but roughly based on the fact that they (in your original list) have all had at least one top ten single or album. And it's odd that your list is the first time I'd heard any mention of The Corrs in years, then this afternoon I heard one of their songs playing in a shop.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
Kinitawowi wrote:

*waves* I have at least one album from all except Bentley Rhythm Ace... I'd be interested to find anyone here who lived through the Britpop era without knowing '6 Underground' or 'Bentley's Gonna Sort You Out!'. I'll give you Asobi Seksu as obscure though, I can't see why people would know them if they're not into the shoegaze kinda thing.

Yeah, this is the problem; Big Beat was pretty much uniquely a British phenomenon, so why would anybody in America know BRA? 6 Underground at least made a couple of film soundtracks.

As for Asobi Seksu... three words: the Skins effect.

Quote:
Incidentally, my definition of 'well known' was probably somewhat esoteric, but roughly based on the fact that they (in your original list) have all had at least one top ten single or album. And it's odd that your list is the first time I'd heard any mention of The Corrs in years, then this afternoon I heard one of their songs playing in a shop.

In fairness, The Corrs have been shit for years (hence Andrea's solo album, which is really shit).

And it took me a couple of minutes of looking up to confirm your Top Ten theory - I knew Saint Etienne had never made the top ten with a single (unless you count the Paul Van Dyk collaboration, which I don't), but they did it a couple of times with albums. Apparently.

"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:

That's good to know. Sort of? Yeah. I didn't realise they'd been used in Skins, although the reason for that is nicely explained by Wikipedia - I haven't got around to watching the third series yet, despite having bought it on DVD as soon as it was released.

To be fair, I didn't bother to check on the top 10 thing before I said it, but I figured it wouldn't be too far out...

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
Kinitawowi wrote:

That's good to know. Sort of? Yeah. I didn't realise they'd been used in Skins, although the reason for that is nicely explained by Wikipedia - I haven't got around to watching the third series yet, despite having bought it on DVD as soon as it was released.

You might want to hurry up - the fourth series starts on the 28th. (You can probably skip the book.)

But yeah, I downloaded about 33 songs from the third series soundtrack and bought two albums because of it (I knew of Elbow, but didn't really care about them until Mirrorball turned up). I'm slightly concerned that there's a new music supervisor for S4; Alex Hancock was awesome.

TheLieInKing  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaker Pimps were great. I'm past it now but a few years back I wasn't really listening to anything but trip hop for the longest time. I've kind of exhausted that interest now; I think I gave up after hearing Portishead's latest - wasn't particularly impressed.

Right now I'm listening to the music I've been given this Christmas; A Tribe Called Quest, Amon Tobin, Black Sabbath, Chick Corea, The Dead Weather, Death, The Doors and John Coltrane, in alphabetical order.

Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLieInKing wrote:
Sneaker Pimps were great. I'm past it now but a few years back I wasn't really listening to anything but trip hop for the longest time. I've kind of exhausted that interest now; I think I gave up after hearing Portishead's latest - wasn't particularly impressed.

Right now I'm listening to the music I've been given this Christmas; A Tribe Called Quest, Amon Tobin, Black Sabbath, Chick Corea, The Dead Weather, Death, The Doors and John Coltrane, in alphabetical order.

Yeah, trip hop kinda died a death somewhere around the turn of the millennium - Sneaker Pimps booted out Kelli Dayton (saw her solo supporting Garbage once; she was okay), Massive Attack became rubbish just after Mezzanine when they dumped Mushroom, and Portishead have never come close to matching Dummy.

GuardianDemon  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to Fear Factory's new album ''Mechanise'' and i have nothing but good things to say about it !!! Buying it launch day !!

Seriously, for those that havent heard it, you should.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: