ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
What music related web sites do you guys visit/use?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: What music related web sites do you guys visit/use? Reply with quote

Aside from the obvious: Pandora, Last.fm, ultimate-guitar

My main source of musical content comes from Pitchfork. It's a great site to find music for my tastes in indie rock. Of course, I don't agree with all their reviews or anything, but it's generally what I use to discover new bands. I use Pandora occasionally, and have really abandoned Last.fm primarily because my musical tastes have evolved a lot and I probably need to make a new account cater to my new tastes more.

My other main one is Encyclopedia Metallum. It's my main source of discovering and learning about metal. It has nearly every Metal band cataloged (The only place I can find Duke). I use the forums to find new metal bands and get reviews on new albums.

What websites do you guys use to listen, review, play, or do anything else music related?
eyewin8  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitchfork and /mu/, but rules 1 and 2 there.

Mainly I just get music from people that recommend it to me. I'll look the artist up on last.fm and see if I'd like it, and if I think that I would then I'll download an album.

Shvereal proved me wrong by FCing SWTA 1a and 2d without elbow strums. He is the motherfucking shit.
dabears116  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't visit many, but most frequently I visit:
Last.fm
Rateyoumusic.com
Metal-Archives.com

For recommendations, the "History of Rock" subforum on rockband.com has honestly been the source of about 80% of all music recommendations I've received. Trust me, I've heard a ton of music, but a few guys there make me seem like I've only scratched the surface on any genre I think I've heard through.

Some guy at my old school once wore a merzbow shirt to class so we all threw stones at him and kicked him in the head until he died lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DaBears116
kslater22  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar World (of course)

digital dream door, has various lists of best w/e
BigZ7337  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.myspace.com Duh, I don't use it as much as I used to in search of new bands but it's still a good place to keep updated and listen to a new band you found elsewhere.

www.purevolume.com I like this site, it gives each band a music player allowing them to either stream their music or allow you to download it.

www.amiestreet.com This is a really cool music site. You put in credit to download songs, and at random times they have sales where the money you put in can be increased by ~30-50%. For unknown artists they can put songs up for really cheap, then if you download it and write a recommendation (you get one for every dollar you put in) and the price is risen you get money added to your account.

www.gimmesound.com This is a great free download site where you download whatever you can find for free yet the band gets paid from ad revenue. There can be lots of shitty music to search through though, but there are a lot of amazing gems, it's actually where I found one of my current favorite bands. I actually made a thread for it in the general chat forum. Maybe I'll have to revitalize it for this new forum.

www.bandcamp.com Cool music download site that allows bands to create and personalize their own website and set a minimum for pay what you want. Also all the money goes straight to the band. You can also listen to the full song instead of the 30 second bullshit every other site does (I've purchased some music that turned out to suck on itunes)

www.cdbaby.com You can buy physical albums from indie bands on this site with reasonable shipping.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Last edited by BigZ7337 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:25 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: BigZ7337
Strykerx  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly just last.fm and [no] for me. I realize what the main purpose of the latter is, but there's forums too

Oh, and websites for some bands I care about more than others. Mostly Portugal. The Man. Still waiting on a tour anywhere in the southeast US, guys.

Last edited by Strykerx on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to Megadeth.com, which use to have a great general chat threat where you could discuss any sort of news, music related objects, and so forth. Sadly they took down that section for whatever reason they had. It was a great place and very active. Plus quick access to Megadeth news lol

Don't really have any other place I care to keep up with.
vosnos  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a lot of people here, I got to Pitchfork for the majority of my music news and sometimes Prefixmag has some good stuff but it's also a lot more mainstream. I also go to rateyourmusic.com for help with what albums I should get from what artists.

VISIT MY ACC. THREAD! | MY BANNERS | I LIKE SHOES

xXryannn  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use Pandora and UG, but sometimes I use random blogs for metal, like this one. Also, MetalSucks.net is pretty good.

(snip)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: xXryannnnnnnnnn
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing that hasn't already been mentioned. I mostly stick to Pitchfork, last.fm, Bandcamp. Myspace too, to some extent - it's obviously not just a music site but all of my friends on there are bands since I decided not to use it for social networking any more.

Oh, actually... Drowned In Sound. Obviously being a British site with gig listings and stuff, it's very UK-centric. Specifically, quite London-centric. At least, that's how it used to be, I haven't really been on there in a long time. The community is... erm... well, it's an impenetrable clique so I don't bother with that, but their articles and reviews are good.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Twang  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last.fm is really all for me. I used to do /mu/, but I got sick of their shit and got myself banned from the whole site.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
BigZ7337  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two favorite music blogs that I follow are below, I've found amazing bands from both sites and they have great interviews & free downloads of indie music:

http://ryanssmashinglife.blogspot.com/ This one is run by music fans, and every update includes a free download from the featured band (unless they have record contract). The site also has great Best of the Year features, which is coming up soon.

http://www.bostonbandcrush.com/ This site is run by people in Boston bands and is mostly centered on concerts in the Boston area, with videos and features. they also have a semi-weekly review and free download feature on bands that play in the area.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.archive.org is pretty damn awesome, but I frequent it mostly because of the 160+ live Local H shows they have.

There's shitloads of other concerts, too.

http://www.setlist.com is good for......setlists?

~iw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Ultimate-Guitar, its my homepage I like reading through the music news on the home page, and also I play guitar normally every day so thats another reason why I use it cause it provides the biggest database of Guitar tabs, I think lol. Obviously, Pandora and Last.Fm but I also use www.playlist.com which lets you create playlists of music. if you want to see all the music I listened to which is pretty old just search: Shad0wz69

http://www.last.fm/user/shad0wz69
Follow Me @dogtownzboy1

Haven't been on ScoreHero in 3 years. 4chan ruined my life.
ShiDuba  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I use Last.fm, for my music I use Spotify (well no Pandora here), and if there's something I wanna listen but it isn't in Spotify, i use (If you suspect it is illegal, do not talk about it here. Thanks, Staff.)

Then I also use metal-archives.com, sputnikmusic, v2.metalreviews.com, a Finnish metal site Imperiumi.net, and sometimes Myspace if that's the only way to hear some bands music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: