Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Looking for different metalcore bands.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xcalibr  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Looking for different metalcore bands. Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I've been listening to metalcore, metal, and such for a couple years, and I've been looking for some more metalcore music, without much luck anymore.
I listen to bands like All That Remains, Bullet For My Valentine, Atreyu, Sonic Syndicate, Parkway Drive, Shadows Fall, Darkest Hour, Killswitch Engage, and some other popular bands.
I was wondering if anyone can list some bands fairly similar to this genre who maybe aren't so popular, but still have good music. I also enjoy Mudvayne and Megadeth, so I'll go either way. I like good screams, but probably better clean vocals. Anything above Job For A Cowboy or Black Dahlia Murder is too hardcore for my tastes.
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's a few popular ones you didn't list. So to be safe I'll cover those first.

The Devil Wears Prada - I heard about them through Guitar Hero

As I lay Dying - Found them through music choice. I really like An Ocean Between Us and Shadow are Security.

Every Time I Die - I don't care for them a much, but they fit the fairly popular metalcore criteria.

Trivium - They might be a guilty pleasure of mine. They're fairly similar to a BfmV so I'd definitely check them out. They're Shogun album is probably best, but I like The Crusade despite most people not liking it.

Unearth - A bit more metal than metalcore, but they still fall into the genre... technically. They were one of the bands (with Amon Amarth) that got me into metal as a genre, so I hold an amount of respect for them even if I don't really listen to them anymore.

Chimaria - Fairly popular, I can't honestly say I know much about them.

Haste the Day - Another band I don't really know anything about.

Protest the Hero - A very popular band on ScoreHero. One of my favorite metal bands. Very neoclassical feel with the guitars while maintaining their metalcore genre.

Still Remains - Don't really know much about them...

As for unpopular metalcore bands:

Enemy Logic - They're new and young, but they're just as good as anyone. That's a cover of Johnny Cash's ring of fire, but they put it perfectly into the metalcore genre.

I Killed the Prom Queen - I discovered this band through Music Choice as well. When I found them I liked them, but I was just first getting into metal. They're still not bad. Try the song Say Goodbye (the link). That's what first got me listening to them.

Psychostick - A comedy band that falls into the metalcore genre. Some of their stuff is pretty funny, I recommend going through their Sandwich \m/ album on Youtube as you can easily find every song there. I gave you one of the more metalcore ones.

Eyes Set to Kill - They're female guitarist and their male vocalist do the vocals which makes for a different experience. A lot of times it's a synchronized female's voice with scream (kind of cool).

Martyr Ad - Pretty heavy as far as metalcore goes. I like them though.

God there's so many. If you're really determined to find new metal core bands just find a site like this: http://www.spirit-of-metal.com/liste_groupe-style-Metalcore-l-en.html and go through all the bands. Believe it or not, just picking a random band, then youtubing them is a great way to find music.
NixxiN  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Converge

Azazel (from North Carolina)

Summer's End

All are found on The Metal Archives if you want to look them up.

Azazel is listed as Metalcore but their sound is closer to Deathcore. Very early Deathcore though, before all the shitty trends currently found in the genre existed. Converge might be a little much for you but it's certainly better than what you've got now. And Summer's End is the best -core band I have ever heard.

I don't think All Shall Perish is that bad either, but I've yet to listen to more than just a song or two from them.

Norm wrote:
I guess all the people who knew anything about Metal got left behind in the last Metal Thread...
Yewb  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for different metalcore bands. Reply with quote

Xcalibr wrote:
Hey everyone, I've been listening to metalcore, metal, and such for a couple years, and I've been looking for some more metalcore music, without much luck anymore.
I listen to bands like All That Remains, Bullet For My Valentine, Atreyu, Sonic Syndicate, Parkway Drive, Shadows Fall, Darkest Hour, Killswitch Engage, and some other popular bands.
I was wondering if anyone can list some bands fairly similar to this genre who maybe aren't so popular, but still have good music. I also enjoy Mudvayne and Megadeth, so I'll go either way. I like good screams, but probably better clean vocals. Anything above Job For A Cowboy or Black Dahlia Murder is too hardcore for my tastes.

I'll get this in before anyone else does, and say that I think you'd enjoy Between the Buried and Me. They're metalcore, at least they used to be, but they've experimented a lot with progressive metal and progressive death, and you can hear influences from all three genres in a lot of their work, particularly their later albums. Their earlier albums are a lot more metalcore-based, though.

If it's not what you're looking for, though, the earlier suggestions (at least the ones I've listened to) are pretty good metalcore.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NixxiN wrote:
Converge

For the love of God don't touch Converge. I saw them in concert with Mastodon and Dethklok. Worst thing I've seen live (minus That One Guy). I looked up their music afterward and it's horrid. The vocals are awful, he's literally coughing into the mic in short bursts. It's not talented screaming by any means. The instruments are hardly worthwhile either. Their riffs are simple and repetitive. There's nothing redeeming about this band.
Xcalibr  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To: Fugitive
Well I didn't list all of them, but I do have:
TDWP (Which I only like Dez Moines, thinking about getting rid of everything else) .
As I Lay Dying (I agree with you on the favorite albums).
Trivium (Which I don't listen to much anymore...)
Unearth is good, but none of their songs stick to me.
Chimaria I like Resurrection and The Infection.
Haste The Day (Burning Bridges is about all I can remember I enjoy)

I've heard the other 3, had 2 of them at one point, but got rid of them. I haven't been able to get used to Protest The Hero, but you can see with what you listed how I only seem to enjoy some or very little of their stuff, if at all anymore. I just feel like I need to evolve my taste for metal a little bit more.

To: NixxiN
I believe I've heard of one of those bands, and I feel like I may be on the verge of getting into more death/thrash/hardcore(punk and harder metal), I just can't seem to get past vocals, they seem to do it for me more than anything, although I feel skill is probably the most important that does it in for a band (Please don't flame some of the bands I listed, I know there's a lot of other bands who are better). I can almost enjoy some of those harder metal bands, I'm just getting tired of the good lack of metalcore, and want to diverse my music a bit. Maybe I should look into some harder metal some more.

To: Yewb
I have been trying to get into BTBAM, like I said above, I just can't quite get there, but their are lots of things I enjoy about BTBAM when I listen to them. Like I said, I just have to broaden my interests a little bit, but I don't want to get into softer metal, so harder/more intricate metal seems to be the way to go.

Could everyone maybe post some good bands that are a bit beyond metalcore in terms of how hard they play? I'll look into everything you guys have listed so far ^_^
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
For the love of God don't touch Converge. I saw them in concert with Mastodon and Dethklok. Worst thing I've seen live (minus That One Guy). I looked up their music afterward and it's horrid. The vocals are awful, he's literally coughing into the mic in short bursts. It's not talented screaming by any means. The instruments are hardly worthwhile either. Their riffs are simple and repetitive. There's nothing redeeming about this band.

I totally disagree. I absolutely love Converge. I'm not really sure where you're getting all this from.. what songs have you listened to?
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
NixxiN wrote:
Converge

You really got something against this band, don't you? Converge paved the road for metalcore, and since are still the undisputed kings of the genre. Their drummer tears up his kit. The guitarist is great with tone and effects, and no, the riffs do not get repetitive. The singer isn't coughing, he's definitely screaming. If it takes no talent to do the screams he does, then why can no one else do them? The band as a whole has a VERY unique sound, which is very uncommon these days. All of these I'd say are pretty redeeming qualities (on top of being a great band). Not to mention their live show is in the top 5 that I've seen.

Maybe you should give No Heroes a listen through once or twice, being it is my favorite album. Here's a kick off for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdzYnIxNZnQ

@OP: I also strongly recommend Converge for you, but you may not like it because you said you prefer a certain type of scream.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Agonist

That is all.
xXryannn  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Haste the Day is really good. I never got into them after they replaced their vocalist.

Get Of Love and Lunacy by Still Remains. That is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Using the blog Fugitive posted, I pulled out these bands that I know are decent:

36 Crazyfists
August Burns Red
Bleeding Through
Caliban
Evergreen Terrace
It Dies Today
Ligeia
Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster
Misery Signals
Mychildren Mybride
Norma Jean
Odd Project
The Acacia Strain
Underoath
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: xXryannnnnnnnnn
Twang  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cancer Bats, Every Time I Die, maybe Bring me the Horizon.

All I have to say.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sup dude? I heard you wanted to listen to some good Metalcore, but people throwin out pretty 'meh' bands at you. It's alright: I don't listen to metalcore much, but when I do, I know who to listen to:

All Shall Perish
The Agonist
Light This City
Nodes of Ranvier

You can also check out early works by Between the Buried and Me, because they use to play very good Metalcore.

Also, The Faceless's First CD is Deathcore, and very enjoyable.

Oh, and I've heard quite a few good songs from The Red Chord, so maybe try them too.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
NixxiN  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
The vocals are awful. It's not talented screaming by any means. The instruments are hardly worthwhile either. Their riffs are simple and repetitive. There's nothing redeeming.

Congratulations, you just described Metalcore.

Norm wrote:
I don't listen to metalcore much, but when I do, I know who to listen to: (list of below average 'meh' bands)

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis."

Norm wrote:
I guess all the people who knew anything about Metal got left behind in the last Metal Thread...
BioHazardABZ  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmmm Hatebreed Much??????

Also, I also saw converge with mastodon, They were pretty bad. The only good part was watching the singer choking the security guards with his corded mic.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: BiohazardABZ Wii Friend Code: 266453013085
jamesw  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
Fugitive wrote:
NixxiN wrote:
Converge

You really got something against this band, don't you? Converge paved the road for metalcore, and since are still the undisputed kings of the genre. Their drummer tears up his kit. The guitarist is great with tone and effects, and no, the riffs do not get repetitive. The singer isn't coughing, he's definitely screaming. If it takes no talent to do the screams he does, then why can no one else do them? The band as a whole has a VERY unique sound, which is very uncommon these days. All of these I'd say are pretty redeeming qualities (on top of being a great band). Not to mention their live show is in the top 5 that I've seen.

Maybe you should give No Heroes a listen through once or twice, being it is my favorite album. Here's a kick off for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdzYnIxNZnQ

@OP: I also strongly recommend Converge for you, but you may not like it because you said you prefer a certain type of scream.

I actually looked in this thread just to see if I could be the first to recommend Converge. They are one of the few metalcore bands with absolute passion that is highlighted in their music.

Harmonix games are just too good not to play them for 8 years. Officially back in action.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: